Amiga OS4.1fe update2 hotfix on BlizzardPPC

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
Discovery69

Amiga OS4.1fe update2 hotfix on BlizzardPPC

Post by Discovery69 »

Hi
I have found that the update2 kickstart even after the hotfix does not make the Swap work. Filling the Fast Ram the system crashes and does not fill the virtual memory. Trying RTCW after loading the initial menu, the message that cannot use VM is displayed. I have two 128MB Sims for a total of 256MB. Replaced Only the Update 1 kickstart and with the original CD Kernel works.
kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Amiga OS4.1fe update2 hotfix on BlizzardPPC

Post by kas1e »

The Swap is just broken as it was all the time, and working by the luck.

So better to not use it ever. It never does what is expected to.
Steady

Post by Steady »

Is that true in general or just for classic?
Discovery69

Post by Discovery69 »

It true in generale, i Also have a Sam460 and when selling the memory It's crash. But with the Classic i use the swap , with the Sam usually i don't use it.
I'll make a video to explain the problem and i'll link it here.
Discovery69

Post by Discovery69 »

Discovery69 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:27 am It true in general, i Also have a Sam460 and when filling the memory It's crash. But with the Classic i use the swap , with the Sam usually i don't use it.
I'll make a video to explain the problem and i'll link it here.
Discovery69

Post by Discovery69 »

Hello below you will find the link of my video explaining the problem, also read the description for the characteristics of my Amiga 1200 PPC: https://youtu.be/iQel9Dm14yk
Discovery69

Post by Discovery69 »

kas1e wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:40 am The Swap is just broken as it was all the time, and working by the luck.

So better to not use it ever. It never does what is expected to.
Hello below you will find the link of my video explaining the problem, also read the description for the characteristics of my Amiga 1200 PPC: https://youtu.be/iQel9Dm14yk
Discovery69

Post by Discovery69 »

Here the link of the Return to Castle Test with Update 2 and hotfix , and Update 1 with the kernal of the Original CD:
https://youtu.be/psO16rcZ6mo
kolla

Post by kolla »

Discovery69 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:15 pm Hi
I have found that the update2 kickstart even after the hotfix does not make the Swap work. Filling the Fast Ram the system crashes and does not fill the virtual memory.
Well, the update is so evil that it actually replaces your startup-sequence, though it keeps the old startup-sequence as a backup. There you may notice that a magic string you had manually entered to the bootloader has been removed in the "updated" startup-sequence... all you have to to, is to add it back.

EDIT: or... am I misunderstanding something, you're saying that enabling swap works, but using it causes crash? If so... sorry for my useless attempt to be helpful :) I will try to fill up RAM on my A3000 and see what happens.
Discovery69

Post by Discovery69 »

kolla wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:49 am
Discovery69 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:15 pm Hi
I have found that the update2 kickstart even after the hotfix does not make the Swap work. Filling the Fast Ram the system crashes and does not fill the virtual memory.
Well, the update is so evil that it actually replaces your startup-sequence, though it keeps the old startup-sequence as a backup. There you may notice that a magic string you had manually entered to the bootloader has been removed in the "updated" startup-sequence... all you have to to, is to add it back.

EDIT: or... am I misunderstanding something, you're saying that enabling swap works, but using it causes crash? If so... sorry for my useless attempt to be helpful :) I will try to fill up RAM on my A3000 and see what happens.
yes I noticed that the Startup-sequence is modified, in fact the pcmcia-wifi card no longer worked because the initialisation command had been removed.
Are you telling me that there should be a swap-enabling string in the startup-sequence that may have been deleted after Update 2?
Or did I get it wrong?
Yes, however, if you look at the two videos that I linked you will see that with update 1 the swap works, with update 2 even after the hotfix does not go anymore. Even RTCW no longer works as seen in the second video, it returns a clear message that it is unable to merge the Virtual Memory.