Not enough ram to validate disk

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
Juzz

Not enough ram to validate disk

Post by Juzz »

Hey there,

I am trying to get my A4000 up and running with 3.1.4 (I've got the roms as well).
When I try to format a large disk partition then I get the error: "Not enough free memory to validate disk!".
It happens if the partition is somewhere around 80-110gb in size.
Just tried making a smaller partition - and it still happens when the partition is around 60gb in size.

Can I move around this error somehow?
By using UAE with a lot of memory - if so what sort of memory should I add to be able to handle it and how much?

EDIT: Somehow you can't delete all partitions of a disk, when using the Install disk?

Regards
Justin
thomasrapp

Re: Not enough ram to validate disk

Post by thomasrapp »

FFS always required a lot of memory to validate. What's new in 3.1.4 is that it gives an error message. In the past it failed silently and left the partition in read-only state.

You shuold not go with a temporary solution (UAE). An FFS partition may require re-validation every now and then and then you run into the same issue again.

With the standard block size = sector size (512 bytes) you can estimate about one MB RAM for one GB harddisk space. You can reduce memory usage by increasing the block size. For example if you use a block size of 2048 bytes, a 100 GB partition should only require 25 MB of RAM to validate instead of 100 MB.
Juzz

Re: Not enough ram to validate disk

Post by Juzz »

Thanks, I'll try that.