Voodoo4 and a GREX 1200 and more

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
SimonV

Voodoo4 and a GREX 1200 and more

Post by SimonV »

Finally got myself OS4 classic for my GREX / BPPC setup.

I both have a voodoo3 and a voodoo4 so I just had to try to voodoo4 .... it just works. Some remarks, it doesn’t show the free videoram in the menubar while it did with the voodoo3 and DLLC / automatic screenmodes doesn’t work. With a Radeon, compatible with my very old mediator 1200LT4 the system does not boot at all. Anyway, the voodoo4 working is already great.

Since I have a gigantic pile of soundcards ... I tried my luck with those also.

- CM8378 cards ... don’t show up in the config
- ESS solo-1 driver ... somewhere it goes wrong when used, the startmenu does not show up and I can’t open applications. Opening maps etcetera works.
- Several SB128 cards ... One of them with a ESS1373 chip actually beeps in AHI when tested, but it sounds different on different frequencies and for sure not the same compares to the beep I get with Paula. Inputs on the card work because I can play a cd, switch between track ... but it is a distorted sound. All-in-all probably the one card that might work if someone capable takes a look.

Maybe I try some tvcards and different networkcards next week.
Benny

Re: Voodoo4 and a GREX 1200 and more

Post by Benny »

SimonV wrote:Finally got myself OS4 classic for my GREX / BPPC setup.

I both have a voodoo3 and a voodoo4 so I just had to try to voodoo4 .... it just works. Some remarks, it doesn’t show the free videoram in the menubar while it did with the voodoo3 and DLLC / automatic screenmodes doesn’t work. With a Radeon, compatible with my very old mediator 1200LT4 the system does not boot at all. Anyway, the voodoo4 working is already great.

- ESS solo-1 driver ... somewhere it goes wrong when used, the startmenu does not show up and I can’t open applications. Opening maps etcetera works.
- Several SB128 cards ... One of them with a ESS1373 chip actually beeps in AHI when tested, but it sounds different on different frequencies and for sure not the same compares to the beep I get with Paula. Inputs on the card work because I can play a cd, switch between track ... but it is a distorted sound. All-in-all probably the one card that might work if someone capable takes a look.

Which Radeon brand do you use ?

I bought 6 9200/9250’s, finally the only which was perfect was the Sapphire Radeon 9250 in a Mediator 4000 or 1200.

Did you see the compability list:

https://www.amigaos.net/hardware/40/cla ... ped-models
SimonV

Post by SimonV »

Not sure, but it works in a mediator so I would say it's rather a driver problem between OS4.1 classic and the grex.

Also tried a SATA sil3112 pci card that shows up in the sysconfig but as soon as I connect a harddisk I end up in a bootloop
DarrenHD
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by DarrenHD »

SimonV wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:14 pm Finally got myself OS4 classic for my GREX / BPPC setup.

Hi Simon, I did most of the Beta testing with the GREX for OS4 Classic. The ONLY cards that will work are the VooDoo cards and the RTL8029. We tried to get documentation on the GREX and had very limited success, so I'm afraid those are the only cards we could get working.

Darren
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!