OS4.1 Booting from CD failed

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
danbeaver

Re: OS4.1 Booting from CD failed

Post by danbeaver »

Usually a hang at the OS 4.1 boot screen is a software issue, but at least getting the kernel loaded and initialized is done at this point in the process.

Check out Calfor's suggestions! If the CD gets you into OS 4.1, then your computer is fine up to your CSPPC (cybppc.device). Can you re-install OS 4.1 on the SCSI HDD that works? And then soft boot into it? If so, it then becomes a file system vs KS 3.1 boot, like Boot install partition >3.8 GB or boot partition not in the first 4 Gb of the HDD, or SFS/FFS Id's messed up. Mine would forget it had SFS & FFS and only soft boot into OS 4 via a second (or third) reboot. I reformatted with just FFS and it boots all the time. I did about 5 reformat--reinstall--reboot cycles before I got it working perfectly. Why ? Don't know, but the "penny finally dropped" and I got past that stage.
I really should go back and put SFS back in since I have 2 full backups of that partition, but it seems happy. I'm not sure about that KS & SFS though; back when I had both file systems n the OS 4 partitions, a boot into OS 3.9 would NDOS them without a second reboot... Strange. But so is my life, so why not my Amigas.
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Ok I re-read your post; the boot hangs with a hard drive on IDE or CSPPC, but boots with only CD.

I think HDD install is mangled. A1200 solution (setup install on the A1200) requires changing the KickStart/Kicklayout boot kernel from A1200 to A4000. Could work.

Better, hold esc key to get to boot screen of CSPPC, disable the hard drives by setting number of LUN's to zero. This will ease the CDROM setup of a new drive. OS 4.1 once started turns back 'on' your disabled drives and lets you manipulate them. Save the results. Boot into early startup menu and check to see that the drives do not exist th KS 3.1. Get to CDROM install, format drives, install OS don't forget that when working to set up CSPPC drives to LUN 1.
Flare

Post by Flare »

50 km later i got a new 2,5 ide drive ;)

i install os4.1 on my a1200 without problems.. that means that i know how to setup os4.1 ;)
same install procedure as i tried yesterday with my a4000..

i build this harddisk in my a4000 and os4.1 boots flawless..

my next step is to connect this 2,5 ide hd to the scsi chain with 7720..

greets
Last edited by Flare on Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flare

Post by Flare »

connected my working ide os4 installtion to the scsi of the cspps and after inital screen it stops booting.
will buy new scsi cable and downgrade my acard7720.
we will see

greets
Flare

Post by Flare »

new information ..

as i wrote before i setup my hd in my 1200 with os4.1 and connected it to my 4000er.

as a smart boy i thought .. hey u can make a new partition and copy your os3.9 file to this partition.

ok starting mediatoolbox from os4..
click on scsi.device.

the system crashs on proofing rdb..
damn
i tryed it again and the same error..

i connected it to my a1200 again and it works..
i added a new partition and copied my os3.9 files to it..
i connected this hd to the a4000er again and now i have a multibootsystem.

i dont know why but my a4000 will crash if os4 mediatoolbox is proofing the RDB.

greets
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

I'm sorry but I'm unfamiliar with the term, "proofing". Could you please explain?

The IDE hard drive you are using, does it boot in OS 4.1? If so have you tried another SCSI HDD on your CSPPC (cybppc.device)?
Flare

Post by Flare »

sure i can boot into os4 from ide..
but when i open mediatoolbox and click on scsi.device the system will crash while mediatoolbox is checking rdb block..

when i use this ide harddisk in my a1200 all works fine.

greets
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Hmm... Never had that happen to me. But within the Updates there is at least one to the "SPEngine" that underlies MediaToolBox; I believe there is an update in #5.

Have you installed updates 3, 4, and 5?

The IDE Device driver may be different between SYS:KickStart/kicklayout-1200 and 4000T and thus media toolbox may handle them differently. I'm out of town (away from my Amy) at present but can check by Tuesday (or you can compare the 2 kicklayouts to see if the IDE drivers differ). Does not fix it just may explain it. I know Media Toolbox works for me with everything IDE and SATA (off the sii3114ide.device), but SCSI is overly finicky.

Now your IDE HDD. Is a 2.5 inch from your A1200, so it is not an SSD (they are headaches), but what else would be different compared to a standard 3.5" IDE? I've tried two 2.5 IDE HDD, one 2.5 SSD (SATA) drive, oodles of CF cards and several IDE/SATA DVD-RW drives off the internal IDE device without any issues. Could you try another IDE HDD? I've got a small (6 or 40 Gb) ill likely never use I could send you; maybe as a 36 Gb UW SCSI + 2.5" Package you pay the shipping on. Do you want to try that? Before I sent them I could install and recheck them on my Amy and make sure they are recognized properly. It would mean pulling Amy up for a laparotomy, but I'll have some incoming hardware to check shortly anyways.
Flare

Post by Flare »

Hi Dan,

no i havent installed Updates yet..
The Differents is that i cannot install OS4 with my A4000.
Dont know why.. I tried many Harddisks.. 3,5 IDE , 2,5 IDE, 36,4 UWSCSI and more.
Every time the same failure.. After a RDB is written, the OS Inital Screen Appears and than stops booting.
( I notices that the Screen flash a little bit ) ..
I think during the OS4 startup the system will search for RDB´s and crash.

The Only way to get OS4 running is to setup os4 with help from my a1200 and use this harddisk in my a4000.
it works but i noticed that mediatoolbox also crash when its checking for RDB on scsi.device.
the screen flash also a little bit and the systen crash totally.

it seems the same error.

Will test what happen when i change the SYS:KickStart/kicklayout-1200 to the right one and
I will try new ram-modules soon. i use a 8mb ram module as chipram in my a4000 and jumperd with help from the 2-8mb jumper to 2mb. it works without problems under os3.9.. maybe not in os4.. will test it later..

Greets.
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Nope not a ram issue; you can remove the motherboard RAM and be fine

I had thought you had changed the Kicklayout files to match the the different computers. This is likely part of the problem. The Kicklayout builds up a hardware specific set of files to uses as your resident ROM and keeps it during soft reboots. As an Amiga you can pick what to put in and leave out, but the modules are computer specific

Fix that and then consider my offer; you can pm me with questions or specifics