OS4.1 Booting from CD failed

A forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues.
Flare

OS4.1 Booting from CD failed

Post by Flare »

Hi,

i try to install os4.1 update 2 on my fresh and new amiga4000 with
CSPPC233 /128 MB Ram
Repulse Soundcard
Deneb / Flash is deactivated via jumper
CVPPC
All works fine under 3.9

When i try to boot OS4.1 from CD after RED and then BLUE the Amiga resets.
Maprom is off / Ram is 70ns
Cd rom is connected on ide port.
The hd is on scsi port from csppc..
Something more to try ??

Thx for help-

Greets Rene
Flare

Re: OS4.1 Booting from CD failed

Post by Flare »

ok changed some settings and now the purple screen appears.
but after that it seems to try booting from cd again and a very short red flash appears and then nothing..
i can reset the amiga and see the purple screen again.. i think that tell me that os4 kernel is loaded right ??

greets
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Sorry you are having problems, I had huge issues at first and finally found that a Deneb flash was flaky; along the way I learned a lot; just see how long my thread is. Lots of hardware will prevent OS 4.1 from booting; a biggie that worked in an old firmware that doesn't now, is FastATA 4000. You may want to get an install going by first removing every thing except floppy, HDD, CDROM and CSPPC with its RAM. The A4000 motherboard RAM may be a problem as it was pointed out to me, but if you read through that thread you will see what helps get it up and running

OS 4.1 is a completely different beast than OS 3.9 so just because 3.9 works on your set up there is no way of telling if 4.1 will. In the end it comes down to hardware compatibility
Flare

Post by Flare »

new information.
its possible to start os4 from ide when nothing connected to the scsi port.
if something connected to the scsi port from the csppc , the inital os4 screen appears and then it will hang up.

if i disconnect the device from scsi port it will boot again..

greets
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Yes, on my A4000T the IDE works very well, it is a bit slow but hard to notice overall. You should ne able to use an IDE HDD and CDROM to do an install. I have an IDE->CF card on mine that i use on occasion for OS 4.1 booting. You may want to check the CSPPC boot menu for an abnormality and make sure you are using a late firmware version, but I don't recall anything on the SCSI bus that stops booting. Exactly what do you need to disconnect? There are some hard drives that are meant for large servers than need special help initially.
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

Merlinkv's response to this problem on AmiBay has an accurate description of what your CSPPC SCSI chain/bus should look like. The Repulse card is listed as not compatible with OS 4.1, things not compatible may cause the system to hang during the boot process. Closely check DarrinHD's Compatibility List on his thread here. This is why it took weeks to get mine installed and why I'm pretty good with helping. If you get it solved elsewhere, please let us know here as this forum should be a central location for the developers to reference. Three updates have been posted in the past year using the beta testers and this forum for focus.
Last edited by danbeaver on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Calgor
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Calgor »

@ Flare

Your setup does seem to be simpler and a subset of mine and danbeaver's, so hopefully we can help you get it up and running quickly enough.

danbeaver made some good points:
- Repulse is listed as incompatible with OS4, so you might want to remove that card in case it is the culprit
- If still does not work, try leaving in bare minimum parts (CSPPC, floppy drive, IDE CDROM, CSPPC hard drive)

If that still does not work, could be something:
- specific to the hard drive (hardware itself or RDB settings which work in OS3.x but not OS4 - you could try a second hard drive if you have one)
- your hard drive chain (deanbeaver suggested where to get more info, also chain connection configuration diagrams in the CSPPC manual)
- CSPPC boot menu settings
- motherboard jumpers (unlikely)
Amiga 4000T: CSPPC 604e@233/060@50 146MB RAM/CVPPC/Mediator/Radeon 256MB/Realtek 8029AS/TerraTec Solo1-N/Picasso IV (Paloma Pablo Concierto)/Deneb/ZorRAM 256MB/Indivision AGA MKII/OS4.xBETA/OS4.1u4/OS3.9BB2
AmigaONE X1000: Nemo 2.1 PA6T-1682M@1.8 2GB RAM/Radeon HD 4770 512MB/Catweasel MK4+/Audigy 2 ZS/Realtek 8139D/OS4.xBETA/OS4.1u5
Flare

Post by Flare »

IT WOOOORRRKKKSSS ;)

Cant get it running with ACARD7720UW..
I Bought an 50PIN SCSI CD-ROM for testing. And it works flawless. I boot OS4 from IDE and mediatoolbox found the cvppc scsi device with the cd rom connected.

I added the SCSI/IDE acard 7720uw with an IDE DISK and same error as before.
I tried another SCSI/SATA acard adapter 7730 with an 2,5" Sata Drive connected and it works..

OK at this point it seems that the acard7720 is the problem..
Now i tried to use my solidstate sata disk on the 7730 and it doesent works..

BUT WHY ??? Same Adapter , another SATA Device..
Could it really be the rdb ?? The Sata drive from the working config was ntfs formated before..

greets
danbeaver

Post by danbeaver »

The SSD's have separate issues where many don't work. There is a long thread about that where I thought we should keep a list as to what works and what doesn't. That didn't happen, but I have an OCZ 120 Gb SSD that works with everything. The Amiga.org thread: www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=62547&page=3. I'm sorry your Acard 7720UW gave up the ghost. Mech sells these and can update the firmware if that is what's wrong.

The CSPPC SCSI transfer speed is better than that 50-pin SCSI drive, probably around a U160, but less than that of a SSD and U320, so I'd move up. SSDs are getting cheap these days, U320 10 & 15k SCSI 3 drives in the 18 to 146 Gb are even cheaper. If you'll cover the shipping I would be happy to send you a 36 Gb 10k drive with an SCA 80 to 68-pin adapter

Mech says a 300x CF card on an Acard 7720 is as fast as a hard drive on his system.
Flare

Post by Flare »

thx for your great offer, i will give you an info later.
my solidstate is an ocz 60 GB sata drive..

im not sure if i had problems with the acard adapter.. all works flawless under os39

i noticed that all my disks i have tried before are ffs formated.
only the disk which works was an pc ntfs formated --> no rdb.
i will backup my solidstate disk this afternoon and delete the rdb to give it a last try ;)

greets