Easiest way to backup Amiga OS 4.1u5 AmigaOne

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Easiest way to backup Amiga OS 4.1u5 AmigaOne

Post by Slayer »

Yes sorry I didn't take on board completely your directive (in this overview) not to install anything foreign on Sys:

My days of looking for holes is over :P
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

@amigadave
If you want to copy the actual partition layout from one harddisk to another, I suggest using Media Toolbox (in System). After opening the original harddisk, the menu provides several options for saving. I suggest using "Save profile" TWICE, first time choosing the MediaToolbox option, and second time choosing the Plain binary option. This will give you two files, at least one of which should work (MTB can be a bit flakey sometimes).

Now go to the new harddrive, open the menu & choose the matching "Load profile" option (probably on the MediaToolbox file). This should duplicate the partition layout. IIRC it will proportionally resize all partitions to fit the new harddisk, so you may want to reduce the size of any OS4 partitions back to a sensible (small) size afterwards. BEWARE that all partitions will have identical (device) names to your existing partitions, which will cause problems, so you MUST manually change their name (from say "DH0" to "DH0new", etc).

When done, click OK, then Save to disk, then you will need to reboot. Then go to Sys:System/Format to format the new partitions (making sure you don't accidentally format your original ones!). Again, I suggest giving different (volume) names (e.g. "Work2" instead of "Work"). Finally you can copy the contents from your old harddisk to your new one (see next post).
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

Regarding copying a partition from your old HD to a new one:

Do NOT drag'n'drop old partitions onto the new ones! While this MIGHT work, it (a) will be very slow (it will even copy empty space!), and (b) might not work correctly if the partitions are of different sizes (which is very likely). I think this was really intended for copying floppy disks, so I don't know how it will handle hardddisks.

I've never tried OnyxSoft's Backup program, but it sounds like it is the simplest option, since it has a GUI.

Personally speaking I currently use a couple of my own Shell programs to do jobs like this. First I use my AmigaAttributes program to backup all the links to a single file. Then I use my FolderSync2 program to actually copy all the files/etc (using Backup mode) from one partition to another. Finally I'd use my AmigaAttributes program again to recreate the links on the new partition. (Eventually I hope to add link support & a GUI to FolderSync2, at which point it'd be kinda similar to OnyxSoft's Backup program, but more aimed at keeping two folders or partitions bi-directionally synchronised). Both programs can be downloaded from http://cshandley.co.uk/ , but FolderSync2 is probably way out of date, so I might need to upload a new version if anyone runs into problems with it...
Spektro
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Spektro »

There is a RAID device for AOS4. It should be able to mirror disks. I have never tried it. It can be found from the OS4Depot and Aminet:
http://os4depot.net/index.php?function= ... device.lha
http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/swraid_device
- Janne Peräaho
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

For the benefit of newer AmigaOS 4 users could you outline how you deal with third party libraries etc that are normally installed on the SYS: partition using your method ?. Do you use multiple assigns to directories on another partition ?

tonyw wrote:You don't need to duplicate all the system software on a backup. That is all easily replaced by a reinstall.

What takes time to replace is all your private settings. They are all you have to save and you can save them all on a USB stick or a CD or anywhere you like.

Firstly, there should not be anything but system software installed on your system partition (my opinion only, of course). Don't install OWB or Timberwolf on SYS:, use a separate partition for all your external applications. That leaves the system partition clean for updates and new OS releases every six months.

I maintain, on another partition, a directory called "MyPrefs". MyPrefs contains:
MyPrefs/Devs/Internet/#?
MyPrefs/S/User-startup
MyPrefs/S/Shell/#?
MyPrefs/Prefs/Env-Archive/Sys/#?.prefs
MyPrefs/Kickstart/Kicklayout

That's it. When I have to reinstall the OS, I start with a clean partition, install, then just "Copy all clone MyPrefs/ Sys:". Done.

I only backup software that I've obtained as archives. I just copy it onto a CD-RW. If it's available on line (like all the OS releases), I don't keep copies at home.
AmigaDave

Post by AmigaDave »

tonyw wrote:You don't need to duplicate all the system software on a backup. That is all easily replaced by a reinstall.

What takes time to replace is all your private settings. They are all you have to save and you can save them all on a USB stick or a CD or anywhere you like.

Firstly, there should not be anything but system software installed on your system partition (my opinion only, of course). Don't install OWB or Timberwolf on SYS:, use a separate partition for all your external applications. That leaves the system partition clean for updates and new OS releases every six months.

I maintain, on another partition, a directory called "MyPrefs". MyPrefs contains:
MyPrefs/Devs/Internet/#?
MyPrefs/S/User-startup
MyPrefs/S/Shell/#?
MyPrefs/Prefs/Env-Archive/Sys/#?.prefs
MyPrefs/Kickstart/Kicklayout

That's it. When I have to reinstall the OS, I start with a clean partition, install, then just "Copy all clone MyPrefs/ Sys:". Done.

I only backup software that I've obtained as archives. I just copy it onto a CD-RW. If it's available on line (like all the OS releases), I don't keep copies at home.
That is probably good advice for users that received an OS4.x install CD, or DVD, but since those are not available yet for OS4.1.5 from who ever is making them for Hyperion and since AmigaKit did not include an ISO of the 4.1.5 CD, or DVD on my hard drive (they are now for all later shipped X1000's), I have no way of doing a "re-install" of OS4.1.5 System software. Hence my desire to create a "Restore" CD, or DVD, from my existing installation, in addition to cloning my hard drive to a different hard drive so I can remove my large 1TB hard drive for use in a different computer.

Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread. I have downloaded the Onyx backup software archive and will take a look at it and sort through all of your answers to try and determine which method will meet my needs the best. I hope amigasociety, who started this thread has got the answers he needed and I apologize if I hi-jacked it from him.
Proud owner of 10+ Commodore Amiga 680x0 computers
First Contact AmigaOne X1000 Dual Core 1.8GHz PA6T w/OS4.1FE
Dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 PMac MDD w/MorphOS3.7
1.5GHz G4 MacMini w/MorphOS3.7
17" 1.67GHz G4 PBooks w/MorphOS3.7
Efika 5200b w/MorphOS3.7
FPGA Arcade Replay w/AmigaOS3.x
amigasociety

Post by amigasociety »

Not a problem AmigaDave.

Yes I have been using the Backup from OnyxSoft :
http://www.onyxsoft.se/backup.html

Seems to work easily. I believe it even only saves new and changed files on backups after the last so you always are left with the last condition of the files.

I will have to read their pages again to confirm that but 2nd backup was faster it seemed.

Anyway, I see the exact same folders on my external backup drive now. Not sure one could somehow make it bootable but I guess as long as I have backups, I could rebuild from them.

tj
Happy owner of several Amiga systems including:

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
davebraco
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by davebraco »

Note that if you want exactly the same partition, you have to use the clean button before doing a backup.

In case of problem, if you copy back your file using backup, it should be bootable.
µA1 256mo SATA -> lend to a dev
A1200PPC 256Mo MediatorTX Radeon9250 SATA RTL8029 SOLO-1
Sam440ep 533mhz 512mo 64Go SSD
Sam460ex 1150mhz 2Go RadeonHD 6570LP ENVY24HT
AmigaOne X1000 4Go SSD R9 270X Catweasel MK4
AmigaOne X5000 -> work in progress
Deniil

Post by Deniil »

People suggested my program "BackUp", and I would also recommend that, of course ;-)

The biggest advantage of using BackUp instead of drag'n'drop in Workbench or DirOpus is that it creates incremental backups, which means when you like to renew your backup it will only copy new and changed files, not everything again. This makes it thousands times faster than making a full backup everytime.

The clean functionality allows you to keep your backup in sync by removing old deleted and renamed files and directories from the backup.

It doesn't compress or encrypt the backup in anyway which means it will be easily accessible even without the BackUp program. Compressing makes little sense these days. Especially since large data like pictures, music and video is already compressed way harder than any non-destructive algorithm can do.