DOS request for unavailable device

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Amigo1

DOS request for unavailable device

Post by Amigo1 »

Hello,

recently I relabel a partition, it was named "Work2" and now simply "Work".
There is some strange behaviour now: when I use Find to search a file, and subsequently use the menu entry "open drawer" it keeps asking me for "Work2".
As far as I can tell, there is nothing in the system pointing to that partition name anymore. Nothing in User-Startup, no prefs file, no Tooltype.
I also made a content search for "Work2" but nothing pops up..

Any ideas?
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: DOS request for unavailable device

Post by tonyw »

Look in the tooltypes of Utilities/Find. Perhaps you have saved Work2: as an added path.
cheers
tony
Amigo1

Post by Amigo1 »

tonyw wrote:Look in the tooltypes of Utilities/Find. Perhaps you have saved Work2: as an added path.

mmh.. was amongst or even the first thing I looked to. :-/ So as I said, nothing pointing to "Work2" anymore in the whole system, no TOOLTYPEs and as far as readable prefs files give away none prefs file either.

p.s. I checked everything now. Every single prefs file, everything in DEVS:, SDK:, SAMBA:, S:, ENVARC: (the prefs files with its respective prefs tool)

I'm puzzled.. Oh, and of course I did a hard reset, just to be sure nothing still in memory.
xenic

Post by xenic »

@Amigo1
Did you create any "links" to any files or directories on Work2?? Links will have a ">" at the beginning of the file comment. I can't think of any programs that will search for text in comments but you can list a partition to a file in ram (e.g. "list ALL SYS: >ram:syslist") and then search for "> " in the contents of that file.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Slayer »

That's a little weird, I just changed my WORK to WORK2, used find to search WORK2 (because WORK wasn't available anyway) and successfully opened a drawer from the list window

I even saved the settings in Find prior to changing the name etc

Run snoopy while conducting your investigations and see if helps
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Do the full search:

1) Open Utilities/Find.
2) Click the "None" button.
3) Click the name of your System partition.
4) Type "#?" in "Pattern".
5) Type "Work2" (no colon) in "Contents".
6) Click "Start".

That will search every file on your system partition, icons, scripts, everything. If that doesn't find it, it's somewhere else (like the "Work" partition). Try that next, but just do one partition at a time, it will take some time.
cheers
tony
Amigo1

Re: DOS request for unavailable device SOLVED

Post by Amigo1 »

Thank you all guys, seems like I solved the problem.

I tried out everyone of your suggestions, at the end it seems like Find did save "Work2" in some internal prefs file (seems strange to me, since the Partitions which should show up or ignored are saved in the TOOLTYPES as far as I can tell).

To solve the problem, I saved the Partition list using the Menu entry within Find, (I had deleted the Work2 entry "manually "in the TOOLTYPES last week or so, but it seem Find looks for it somewhere else) and all is working ok now, no request for "Work2:" anymore.

Thanks again everyone! :-)
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: DOS request for unavailable device SOLVED

Post by nbache »

Amigo1 wrote:at the end it seems like Find did save "Work2" in some internal prefs file
That would be ENVARC:Sys/find.prefs, I believe.

Best regards,

Niels
Amigo1

Post by Amigo1 »

looks like I've screamed "solved" a bit too early.. :-(

The issue seems not to be related to Find, in fact when I click on AmiDock and then open the context menu
of an item to then select "Reveal in Workbench" I get an
--------------------------------------
AmigaDOS Process: 80
Please insert volume
Work2:
in any drive

Process: "Workbench"

Retry Assign Mount Cancel
--------------------------------------
requester..

Which funktion do I have to set in Snoopy to get some useful information? As it is now (default) it does say
nothing but the following by the time the requester appears:

00056 : AmiDock : o.k. = [exec] OpenDevice("timer.device",0,0x6676A4B0,0x00000000) = 0 [8uS]
00057 : AmiDock : o.k. = [exec] OpenDevice("input.device",0,0x6676A4B0,0x00000000) = 0 [50uS]
00058 : AmiDock : o.k. = [exec] OpenLibrary("iffparse.library",50) [24uS]
00059 : AmiDock : o.k. = Open("ENV:sys/PopupMenu.prefs",OLD) = [0x189B54B0] [217uS]
00060 : AmiDock : o.k. = [exec] OpenDevice("timer.device",0,0x6676A600,0x00000000) = 0 [38uS]
00061 : AmiDock : o.k. = Lock("AmigaOS:Utilities/Commodities",SHARED) [186uS]

The icon I was trying to "reveal in Workbench" for this example was SYS:Utilities/NotePad.

Sorry to bother you with this..
Amigo1

Post by Amigo1 »

xenic wrote:@Amigo1
Did you create any "links" to any files or directories on Work2?? Links will have a ">" at the beginning of the file comment. I can't think of any programs that will search for text in comments but you can list a partition to a file in ram (e.g. "list ALL SYS: >ram:syslist") and then search for "> " in the contents of that file.

No, no links for Work2 or Work anywhere. The only links are those in SObjs and all point to some Shared Object in SYS: