Text Mode in Workbench Windows

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
BillEaves
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Text Mode in Workbench Windows

Post by BillEaves »

Thematic wrote:

Changing something will of course make for a longer changelog, but this one would coerce users to use the software in a less varied way. I don't see how keeping the option there would obstruct anyone.
What reason is there to even have this option. Enabling it fixes the BUG that you can overscroll the window in icon mode. Therefore it is a totally unnecessary option IMHO.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

BillEaves wrote:What reason is there to even have this option. Enabling it fixes the BUG that you can overscroll the window in icon mode. Therefore it is a totally unnecessary option IMHO.
That's not a bug, it's a feature - at least IMHO.

It makes it possible to position the window contents in a manner to leave an area free for dragging other icons into when copying/moving stuff by dragging on WB. Saves you from having to position your mouse very precisely before dropping.

Best regards,

Niels
BillEaves
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by BillEaves »

nbache wrote:
BillEaves wrote:What reason is there to even have this option. Enabling it fixes the BUG that you can overscroll the window in icon mode. Therefore it is a totally unnecessary option IMHO.
That's not a bug, it's a feature - at least IMHO.

It makes it possible to position the window contents in a manner to leave an area free for dragging other icons into when copying/moving stuff by dragging on WB. Saves you from having to position your mouse very precisely before dropping.
Niels

I see, I always thought it was a bug with the mouse wheel scrolling, because just using the scroll bars you can't go beyond the limits where icons are.

I guess it could be useful for opening up a space, I never thought of that one, but it seemed very odd when I first came across it.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

BillEaves wrote:
nbache wrote:That's not a bug, it's a feature - at least IMHO.
I see, I always thought it was a bug with the mouse wheel scrolling, because just using the scroll bars you can't go beyond the limits where icons are.
No, but you can by clicking the arrows at the end of the scrollbar, something which AFAIR has always been possible. At least it also works on my old A1200 with OS 3.1. Amd I'm almost sure I remember it all the way back to WB 1.2, the earliest one I have used.
I guess it could be useful for opening up a space, I never thought of that one, but it seemed very odd when I first came across it.
Actually, I won't claim to know for sure whether it was conceived as a feature originally. But it definitely does offer this functionality, which I think it would be a pity to lose.

Best regards,

Niels
djrikki

Post by djrikki »

Yeah I can live with it in Icon mode, but in Text mode its not meaningful at all.
mrupp

Post by mrupp »

Alright, here's my opinion to all this - not that anyone would have actually asked me for it ;)

I agree with djrikki that in text mode, there's not that much sense in not restricting the scrolling, so I would also change the default to have this option checked.
But then I agree with xenic as well, it's always best to have as much options as possible, so the possibility to uncheck it should not be removed.

Now, about icons: I think it makes sense to have them unbounded, because of this not-so-unlikely scenario:
- there's a window with some icons in it and I have sorted them just the way I want them to be sorted
- I now want to move another one to be the first before all the others
- I then scroll the window to get some empty space on the left
- then I move this special icon to its new place on the left and snapshot everything
--> if scrolling would be bounded in icon mode, this would not be possible

So, to conclude: just leave everything the way it is, except changing the default in text mode. Simple, really...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out TAWS - The Amiga Workbench Simulation
http://www.taws.ch
ZeroG

Post by ZeroG »

I think the best way would be to active the bounding in all window view modes by default and to add a kind of resistance to the scrolling. Like it is done for off-screen window dragging (found in GUI-Prefs).