Mouse issues

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
hotrod

Mouse issues

Post by hotrod »

Hello there dear AOS 4 folks!

I'm wondering about the poor (IMO) mouse support (USB). I got four mice, one broken and of these only one works 100% correct. That includes being able to reach the early startup menu and being able to move the mouse around normaly.

I got one el-cheapo wireless mouse that I bought as a replacement for a Logitech MX1000 (I think it was called). That mouse works with everything and everywhere in AOS 4 without any issues what so ever. However I'd like to be able to plug in a cabled mouse when the batteries dries out and then the issues arrise. I got one so called gaming mouse, noname that works horribly with AOS 4. It doesn't allow me to reach the early startup menu by holding both mouse buttons. If I go there by pressing... em... help? on the keyboard I get there bit it will only move in one direction. In AOS 4 it causes slow scrolling in some programs and Quake 2 jutters around and is unplayable.

Then I got this new Logitech mouse that I bought, the cheapest that I could find (yeah, should buy something better but my economi doesn't allow it at the moment) and in AOS 4.1 it works ok I think. I just bought it so need to do some testing but Quake works fine at least. The early startup menu works with two mouse buttons pressed, it shows up but it's twice as fast in one direction. I thought that Logitech would be a safe bet but it isn't so I'm thinking of replacing it with a more expensive model.

So I'm thinking that it might be a good ide to put up a list of working mice? There seems to be a lot that doesn't work? Now three mice isn't "a lot" but I asume that there will be more none working mice out there other than those that I own. Also better support for future releases is a must. If I bought one of those cool and expensive Logitech (or other brand) mice and and it didn't work I would get kind of sad and upset I guess.

I've been really dissapointed with AOS 4.1 update 3 and harsh but I'd like to say that it's at least very stable on A1 G4 XE and I even got a SB Live! card in it and I can use it for hours and hours and days even without rebooting and that's not bad at all. Fealing that I need to say something good to the AOS 4 team because you've done good work, no doubt but it can always be better, right? :)
mechanic

Re: Mouse issues

Post by mechanic »

hotrod wrote:Hello there dear AOS 4 folks!

I'm wondering about the poor (IMO) mouse support (USB). I got four mice, one broken and of these only one works 100% correct. That includes being able to reach the early startup menu and being able to move the mouse around normaly.
I purchased a Digital Innovations wireless M&K combo and all my M&K problems went away.

To get to the Early Startup with wireless just start tapping on the Scroll Lock key or clicking both mouse buttons rapidly.
The wireless M&K do not get recognized by the system until after one event.
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.