Big bug on NotePad or in Workbench/Intuition ?

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
samo79

Re: Big bug on NotePad or in Workbench/Intuition ?

Post by samo79 »

@tonyw

For now i did only a quick test turning off compositing and i can say it's a bit better now, even if certain slowdown persist (this doing the same test experiment i did before, see the instruction on my first post)

I note also that this kind of problem are not present at all in MUI programs, any MUI window can be resizable at any kind without any system slowdown, this also with compositing on and an high resolution, so at this point i believe that this problem affected only ReAction windows ..

NotePad as program was not responsable of course, any type of Reaction program show more or less the same issue!

At the end i'm sure that:

1 - disable compositing
2 - using a low resolution (for example 1280*1024 or less)
3 - and set it to 16Bit

All of that can help however such slowdown are not normal at all in my opinion, a system must support atleast (during any stress) 32Bit graphics, a decent resolution and compositing on without such slowdown ... there are way to improve and maybe a bugreport can be added (even if it is likely an improve request rathen than a specific bug)..

As i said in my previews post i use a Redeon 9250 at 64 Bit with 128MB of VRAM

Later i will try at also 8/16 Bit, just to add all info as possible ...

Plz can you add a report ?
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Bug report? What for?

There is no bug that I can see.
cheers
tony
samo79

Post by samo79 »

tonyw wrote:Bug report? What for?

There is no bug that I can see.
Well i don't call it "as a bug", but again when compositing is enabled (and maybe an high resolution is used too) the resize of that windows (for example NotePad) is quite jerky at certain condition, so consider it as a feature request or a general improvement ;)

This is the only reason of that report, if usefull ...
xenic

Post by xenic »

@samo79
You might be suprised at how many strange system behaviors disappear when you run a SAM Flex 800 at 733/122 using Hyperclock. Remembering to switch the setting every time you turn the computer on or use the reset button but it might be worth a try. It has made a big difference for me. Just try it for a week and see if your system is more stable.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

I can reproduce this on my SAM Flexx 733 with a radeon 9250 installed.

To trigger you need to set a wide screen (I set 1680 pixels, yet still on a 1240 x 1024 screen mode) then resize the notepad window to about 1 1/2 times the screen size, the workbench slows down massivley.

I still hve 70Mb video ram free and plenty of system ram.

I suspect that the size of the Notepad window has exceded the sizelimit for hardware compositing on a Radeon 9250 (which is just over 1800 pixels IIRC)
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

Iconifying the Notepad window returns the workbench to normal speed as does switching of compositing. This adds evidence to my theory that the hardware limit for compositing is being exceded.

I would guess that, those that can't reproduce this bug either aran't making the notepad window big enough, or have better video cards.

I'm not sure that this is a bug as such more a hardware limitation. If you want to use ultra large window sizes, you need to turn compositing off. (Or use Radeon HD perhaps)

Also note the bitmap for the window is larger than the window itsself if you have drop shadows enabled. Thus the amount you can "oversize" a window will be reduced if you use drop shadows.
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

BTW the reason Samo can't repoduce the effect with a MUI winodw is that it would MUI windows can't be resized to begger than the screen they are on. 1680 pixels is not big enough to produce the effect.

In order to reproduce the effect with a MUI window you must set the WB screen to a size where the effect kicks in for the entire Workbench!
samo79

Post by samo79 »

Just to add I have a Radeon 9250 with 128MB of video ram, don't know if i can reach the limit just "stressing" a simple window but sound a bit strange to me.
MUI windows does not suffer if i do similar test
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

Just to add I have a Radeon 9250 with 128MB of video ram,
Same here.
don't know if i can reach the limit just "stressing" a simple window but sound a bit strange to me.
MUI windows does not suffer if i do similar test
Well if your screen starts at 1600 pixels wide and the limit is 1800 then you only have to increase a window width by 12% to make it bigger than the limit.

As I stated above, MUI windows cannot be made larger than the screen they are on, so you can't make it larger than the limit, unless your WB screen is allready larger than the limit. In which case the slow down will allready have happened.

Try open a WB screen using your normal screen mode but unselect the default size checkmarks and set the width to 2000 pixels and you will see what I mean.