Does adding a program icon to WBStartup work for anyone?

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Does adding a program icon to WBStartup work for anyone?

Post by Hypex »

So. I was trying to add a program with WBStartup Prefs. I pressed Add, dragged in an icon, then OK.

Nothing. Nothng happens. I think I have found a glitch. :-?

I tried again and navigated to where the program was by dragging the parent drawer icon into the file requester. Selected the program and OK. Works.

If I drag the program icon directly in the WBStartup window it works.

Can anyone add a program by dragging it into the file requester?

WBStartup 53.30 (18/02/2018)
asl.library 53.54 (16/04/2020)
Rigo
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Does adding a program icon to WBStartup work for anyone?

Post by Rigo »

That's probably because ASL doesn't support that functionality. It's a requester asking you to select something.

Dropping the program icon into the prefs window works, job done!

Simnon
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

Rigo wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:08 pm That's probably because ASL doesn't support that functionality. It's a requester asking you to select something.
Well, it knows what file I want, as after dropping it in it changes the directory and file to what I dropped in. So it already knows but why isn't it being passed down?

I've been dragging icons into ASL windows for years and never recall seeing it ignore it like this.

I might know what is going on. I noticed the icon name is capitalised neatly but the file name is all lower case. It may be thrown off by the case difference. However AmigaDOS is not case sensitive. And it technically does have a string it detected to pass back so still doesn't explain it.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

@Hypex

I just tried with your steps
- Open WBStartup
- Click on Add
- Drag a program icon into the ASL requester window
- Click on OK
and all is well, program was added, i only need to save now

...but maybe i misunderstand?
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

Raziel wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:15 pm and all is well, program was added, i only need to save now
No, I found out what it is. One of the two, ASL or WBStartup is case sensitive. The icon file has capitals but the file is all lower case.

Try this. Repeat the test but rename the file instead. Drag a capital file into RAM. Now, using DOpus or similar, rename just the file to be lower case. Using the above method try and add it in. Does it ignore you?

In my case it's binary I recompiled with E. For whatever reason the E compiler has this annoying habit of renaming the source filename when creating the binary to all lower case. It's bad enough labels must be in lower case but it makes all binaries look sloppy.