Amiga OS4.1 FE update problem

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
utri007

Amiga OS4.1 FE update problem

Post by utri007 »

I have now tried to update clean install from CD several times.

https://youtu.be/03pReWibxkY

This happens when:

A) I try to update OS with it.
B) If I install update 1.
C) if I install updates 1 and 2.

What is correct way to update OS4.1fe?

Those who don't want to watch my hand made poor video. There is crapled text in field "Store archives and updates here", when I try to change it to RAM: or any other I get grim reaper. It installs something and after that it is not possible install other updates.
utri007

Re: Amiga OS4.1 FE update problem

Post by utri007 »

OK, update.

Clean install of OS4.1fe, first run AmiUpdate. It asks "new version, do you want to update 2.35 to 2.49". IF i click YES this is what ia get.

https://youtu.be/8JvQY8MwbuY

Think it also breaks AmiSSL so that any Browser using it woun't work anymore. <- that was my original problem, why I reinstalled OS.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

I'd recommend doing it in smaller steps, partly manually:

1. Install OS 4.1 FE, reboot. Make whatever configs you need, e.g. for AmiUpdate (servers etc.).
2. Run AmiUpdate. When it asks for new version, say no. Then it is probably listed as a third party update after making the search. Deselect everything and only select AmiUpdate, make that update and reboot. If you are using a non-English language, you may also need to install updated catalogs now (before rebooting).
3. Install Update 1 without using AmiUpdate. There was some problem with the automatic installation, so download it yourself, unpack it and run the install script inside it. Reboot again.
4. Use AmiUpdate to install Update 2, reboot.
5. Use AmiUpdate to install the smaller updates released after Update 2 (and whatever else you may want), reboot.

Hope this works.

Best regards,

Niels
utri007

Post by utri007 »

Hope this works.
Sorry, doesn't help. What ever I do, it got amiupdate broken if it is updated.

Notice that :

Those locales are not wanted or installed. German, Italian and Finnish, but it offers them any way.

I got a hint that removin locale setting could solve problem. It didn't.

https://youtu.be/npGKj4IJ73M
utri007

Post by utri007 »

Problem solved!

I needed update it with AMiUpdate. AmiUpdate couldn't update itself, so I manually copied everything from RAM: to correct places.

Summa summarum

Do not update it when it asks it on startup!!
It can't update automatically!

PS. More problems to come!
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

utri007 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:20 amThose locales are not wanted or installed. German, Italian and Finnish, but it offers them any way.
Many install scripts nowadays install all available languages because you never know if somebody some day uses the machine in a different language (or maybe you want to practice a foreign language :-)). And a few extra catalogs really don't take up much space in today's hard disk sizes.

But if you really insist on not having them installed, you can always choose to ignore them in AmiUpdate (check out the menus). It will only work until a new version of the catalog is available, but that's not something that happens very often.

Best regards,

Niels
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

utri007 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:28 amProblem solved!
Great!
I needed update it with AMiUpdate. AmiUpdate couldn't update itself, so I manually copied everything from RAM: to correct places.

Summa summarum

Do not update it when it asks it on startup!!
It can't update automatically!
I think it is normally possible to use that function, but there has been problems e.g. when the amiupdate.library is in use and had to be updated, or something. So you may get an error message at the end of updating, but if you reboot, it should be okay and ready to use.

Just make sure when you update AmiUpdate, to only update that and nothing else in the same session.
PS. More problems to come!
Hit us ... :-)

Best regards,

Niels
utri007

Post by utri007 »

Some reason all "modernish" web browsers stopped to work with my OS4 system, because of that I reinstalled it. I just did clean install of OS, updated it, installed newest versions of AmiSSL and Netsurf. Odyssey is not lattes, but MUI is. It didn't solve internet problem.

Netsurf just rapidly loading, fetching and Odysseu "sending request".

https://youtu.be/JyAbCiMkclc

IBrowse, FTP etc works just fine, so this must be something with AmiSSL???

OS4 is connected to internet with wire, but I also tried with Atheros WIFI card. Result is same.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

When you say "newest versions", could you please specify the exact versions (e.g. of AmiSSL)?

At any rate, you should install the latest Odyssey as well, a lot was fixed recently. It should be 1.23 r5 (Jan 2 2022).

http://os4depot.net/?function=showfile& ... dyssey.lha

It's not necessarily the solution to what you see specifically, but it's easier to troubleshoot when the obvious things are sorted.

Best regards,

Niels