Crash bug in PlayCD

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Raziel

Crash bug in PlayCD

Post by Raziel »

I'm afraid i cannot provide as much information with this bug, but it's reproducable and was confirmed on two differenthardware models.

The only real tooltype to use is USEAHI, as anything else doesn't make difference nad only then playback of the CD actually starts for me (counter starts counting, music plays etc. - this is not the case if USEAHI is commented out, then nothing of the afore mentioned starts).

Steps to reproduce:

1) Start PlayCD (either with an AudioCD already inserted or inserted later)
2) Press Play
Wait till the song plays and either close the window or press ESC.

Hard lockup, music glitches out and loops the last note, no further input possible, needs a hard reset.

I cannot add any crashlogs as Grim Reaper never comes up and on serial everything else is crashing (last one is *always* input.device" but not PlayCD - at least PlayCD never comes up in the log, probably because of input.device dragging everything else down).

As users may have many different hardware cd/dvd players in use, it would be nice if someone could confirm...or not.

I can do whatever tests necessary to get a crash log out of this, if needed.

PlayCD 53.13 (22.04.2014)
input.device 53.6 (8.7.2015)

Thank you
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Crash bug in PlayCD

Post by nbache »

Do you have a separate sound cable from the drive to your sound card? And, if not, is your CD drive even of such an "outdated" model that there is such an output available at all?

PlayCD was made back when this setup was the norm. The USEAHI tooltype was later introduced to make it possible to send the sound output via the system's normal method instead, but I'm not sure whether that feature is working on all setups.

At any rate, PlayCD should probably be considered of limited use today, unless you happen to have one of the older drives.

PS. As for the crash situation you're mentioning, I have no idea. I don't think I've used PlayCD for about a decade. Maybe someone else can confirm?

Best regards,

Niels
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

I didn't bother looking for such a plug, i guess the one i have in use now (tsstcorp cddvdw sh-222bb) doesn't have it.
I don't think i have the cables for it anymore anyway.
But i know it worked with older models.
I had such cables in use back in the day, but it was never worth the hassle as the sound output was inferior and some hardware components were not shielded enough (not the cables though, i tested a few) so the music came out all metallic and full of noise.

The whole point of the USEAHI tooltype was to support WB playback and not have to bother with these cables, i guess.
PlayCD was made back when this setup was the norm. The USEAHI tooltype was later introduced to make it possible to send the sound output via the system's normal method instead, but I'm not sure whether that feature is working on all setups.
But it *is* working for me, as i wrote, everything is fine, playback, start, stop, pause, skip, heck, even the on-the-fly database updates for the tracks is working (gnudb), UNLESS i quit the app *during* playback.
PS. As for the crash situation you're mentioning, I have no idea. I don't think I've used PlayCD for about a decade. Maybe someone else can confirm?
But do you get the crash on your beta setup as well?
It would only take an Audio CD to confirm...
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Yeah ... all my audio CDs have been ripped to hi-quality MP3 and stowed a long time ago; I might be able to rustle up the odd one if I try harder ;-).

In the meantime, I checked Bugzilla, and there are already several old bugs describing this and similar behaviour, with varying experiences on varying platforms and different testers. These bug reports are open, but what I would call dormant.

They also state the workaround of using the USEAHI tooltype, which was apparently set to activated as default a decade and a half ago (or something).

Best regards,

Niels
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

Ah, ok, thank you :-)

Maybe someone will have a heart and brush over the source again...or let it finally die off.
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Hi Raziel,

Just confirm for me: the crash only happens if you are using AHI or if you are NOT using AHI?
cheers
tony
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

@tonyw

Correct.

If USEAHI is commented, nothing happens, program closes fine.

If USEAHI is in use and a track is playing, PlayCD will crash *if* I close the program *during* playback.
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Hmmm... doesn't crash here: it just shuts down nicely, closes its devices, leaves nothing hanging.

The current version is 53.13 (22/04/2014). I'm sure your version would be the same?
cheers
tony
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

@tonyw

I'll have to get back to you regarding the version (I always seem to forget one detail on my reports).

Once I'm back home I'll post here

Thank you nonetheless
People are dying.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
samo79

Post by samo79 »

I had similar problem and for sure one of the old issues in bugtrackers was reported by me
Aniway as noone seems interested to fix It, I wonder why not integrate in the system the good old PlayCDDA developed by salass00

http://os4depot.net/?function=showfile& ... da_gui.lha