Turbotext problem with OS4FEupdate2

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
xenic

Re: Turbotext problem with OS4FEupdate2

Post by xenic »

nbache wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:17 pm I've also found out something potentially more interesting: If you blacklist both TTX and the three libraries found in the libs subdrawer, the problem doesn't occur for me.

xenic, could you please try that?
Since the Turbotext find problem occurs in a requester, I tried blacklisting the ttxreqs.library first. That solved the find requester problem and I don't need to blacklist the program or the other 2 libraries.

The update2 changes guide does mention that in exec.library the Petunia API was completed and several 68k functions were added. Those changes may have affected Turbotext but without the ability to add debug output and recompile Turbotext the exact changes that affect Turbotext will probably remain a mystery. I just wonder why it only happens on an X1000.

Thanks for the suggestion and I'm happy with a blacklisting solution.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Yes, I was thinking about trying various combinations of things being blacklisted or not. Thanks for getting ahead of me :-).

I'm no expert on the matter, but maybe the reason for it happening specifically on the X1000 can be related to the fact that the X1000 has an Altivec module? Or other differences in the instruction sets?

As you say, it's likely not going to be easy solving that mystery (and probably beyond any effort reasonable to spend on it).

So, great that you can live with the blacklisting.

Best regards,

Niels
xenic

Post by xenic »

nbache wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:47 pm Yes, I was thinking about trying various combinations of things being blacklisted or not. Thanks for getting ahead of me :-).
Correction!
I spoke too soon. Blacklisting only one of the files leads to eventual instability and crashes. So far blacklisting the program and all the libraries seems to be working without crashes. I can see how executing parts of Turbotext with Peturnia and other parts with the regular emulation could cause problems. I'll need to spend a day or two confirming that blacklisting all the files works.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Okay.

That was also my initial thinking leading to blacklisting them all when the program alone didn't do it.

I'm not using TTX myself (other than for testing this), so I'm looking forward to your conclusion.

Best regards,

Niels
xenic

Post by xenic »

nbache wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:05 am That was also my initial thinking leading to blacklisting them all when the program alone didn't do it.

I'm not using TTX myself (other than for testing this), so I'm looking forward to your conclusion.
Blacklisting all the Turbotext files does eliminate the original problem but creates new ones (with update2 kernal & sb600sata.device). If I perform multiple searches in the same Turbotext window I get a crash that shows "stack out of bounds". Sometimes it happens with the second search and other times I can perform several searches before the crash occurs. Ranger shows that Turbotext has the system default stack size. If I ignore the errors in GrimReaper, I just get a worse crash and if I select "kill" the application I get a system freeze.

I don't know what the new kernal and sb600sata.device are supposed to fix or improve but I have seen no benefit in using the new update2 versions of those files on my X1000. I'll just contine reverting those files to the previous ones and have a stable Turbotext editor.

Thanks for looking into the problem.
xenic

Post by xenic »

xenic wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:12 pm
nbache wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:05 am That was also my initial thinking leading to blacklisting them all when the program alone didn't do it.

Blacklisting all the Turbotext files does eliminate the original problem but creates new ones (with update2 kernal & sb600sata.device). If I perform multiple searches in the same Turbotext window I get a crash that shows "stack out of bounds". Sometimes it happens with the second search and other times I can perform several searches before the crash occurs. Ranger shows that Turbotext has the system default stack size. If I ignore the errors in GrimReaper, I just get a worse crash and if I select "kill" the application I get a system freeze.

I don't know what the new kernal and sb600sata.device are supposed to fix or improve but I have seen no benefit in using the new update2 versions of those files on my X1000. I'll just contine reverting those files to the previous ones and have a stable Turbotext editor.

EDIT: I removed the blacklisting to run Turbotext with the reverted Kickstart files. I'm going to do some testing with Turbotext files blacklisted while running the old kernal and sb600sata.device. I report the results here in a day or two.

Thanks for looking into the problem.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

If it really does run out of stack with the system default stack, try raising the system default stack and see if that helps. Maybe Turbotext is using more stack than expected for the search operations, possibly specifically when running under 68k emulation?

You can check the changes in the various modules in the changelog which came with Update 2.

Best regards,

Niels
xenic

Post by xenic »

nbache wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:37 pm If it really does run out of stack with the system default stack, try raising the system default stack and see if that helps. Maybe Turbotext is using more stack than expected for the search operations, possibly specifically when running under 68k emulation?
Ranger shows Turbotext using about 15% of a 64k stack. If it really is a stack problem, I see no reason why it wouldn't have happened before I updated to OS4FEupdate2. I tested Turbotext with the previous kernal and SATA files when the Turbotext files were blacklisted and not blacklisted with the result that Turbotext works normally in both cases. I can only conclude that the problem is a result in changes to update2 files.

Once again, thanks for looking into this problem.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

You're welcome.

I only wish we could figure out what is at the core of it.

I agree that given what Ranger tells you, it doesn't really seem to be a stack problem, but somehow TurboText must think it is.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to give up on it. Sorry.

Best regards,

Niels