Turbotext problem with OS4FEupdate2

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
NinjaCyborg

Re: Turbotext problem with OS4FEupdate2

Post by NinjaCyborg »

I'm not the OP, I mean, I'm using a Sam and have no problem. You two have X1000 and can reproduce the problem.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Sorry, mixed up your platforms.

Yes, then I guess it's worth a try if I can reproduce it on my own Sam460ex.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Best regards,

Best regards,

Niels
xenic

Post by xenic »

@ nbache
Since I tracked down the problem to the update2 kernal, sb600sata.device.kmod & sb600ide.device.kmod files and other platforms have different versions of those files; it would be quite possible that the problem only affects the X1000. If I replace those files (in an otherwise complete update2 install) with the previous versions then the Turbotext "Find" requester works as it should.

If the problem can't be solved in the update2 files, I might try writing a replacement "Find" requester when I find the time. All menus and keyboard commands in Turbotext are user definable so it should be possible to write a replacement.

I appreciate your attention to this problem. Hopefully, no other usefull OS3 programs are affected by the issue.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Okay, sounds likely then.

When you say you have tracked the problem down to those modules, what do you base that on? Do you have crash logs or similar pointing into them?

Or is it just that the problem disappears when you revert them?

If the latter, do you need to revert all three, or is one or two enough? If so, which one(s)?

I still intend to find some time to investigate and report, but until then, any help to focus my investigation would be welcome.

(At least the idea of trying on the 460 seems less important now, thanks!).

Best regards,

Niels
xenic

Post by xenic »

nbache wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:03 pm Okay, sounds likely then.

When you say you have tracked the problem down to those modules, what do you base that on? Do you have crash logs or similar pointing into them?

Or is it just that the problem disappears when you revert them?

If the latter, do you need to revert all three, or is one or two enough? If so, which one(s)?
There is no crash log. Turbotext is just frozen with a sleep pointer displayed. The freeze doesn't seem to affect the rest of the system but I can't start any new Turbotext windows.

I did some more testing and eliminated "sb600ide.device.kmod" from the problem. The problem disappears if I revert "kernal" and "sb600sata.device.kmod" in a complete update2 installation. If I revert "kernal" without reverting "sb600sata.device.kmod" my system won't boot properly. It boots to the screen showing an animation of a floppy disk being inserted and I need to boot from an Install CD to recover the system. I don't know if there is some dependency involved or just a failed version check between the 2 files.

To be clear; Turbotext works normally if I revert the "kernal" and "sb600sata.device.kmod" files.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Thanks for the info.

Yes, the current sb600sata does require kernel >= 53.95, so that's probably why you can't boot when you only revert the kernel.

BTW, I can recommend having an extra boot partition to boot from when you make those kinds of experiments - much easier and faster than fiddling around with the CD ;-).

Best regards,

Niels
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

I have experimented a bit with this issue, and I can't find any clues to what is going on. No serial log (as you also wrote), and nothing relevant from Snoopy.

Since the issue can't be reproduced on the Sam, it seems most logical to focus on sb600sata (which isn't used on the Sam), but how such an issue could be related to a SATA driver is beyond me.

I have asked on our beta mailing list, we'll see if anybody there can deliver a clue.

Best regards,

Niels
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

@xenic, @NinjaCyborg:

Some clues we're finding point towards problems with extending the stack, and it has been seen also on a Sam460.

Could you guys please post what your stacksize is - in the TTX icon as well as the standard stacksize in your DOS prefs?

Best regards,

Niels
NinjaCyborg

Post by NinjaCyborg »

Mine is set to the out of the box defaults on both the app icon and in the general OS4 settings.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Thanks.

Since then I've discovered that the setting in the icon really doesn't matter much, as TTX seems to launch a new detached task anyway, which takes the DOS prefs default (here it is 64 kB).

I've also found out something potentially more interesting: If you blacklist both TTX and the three libraries found in the libs subdrawer, the problem doesn't occur for me.

xenic, could you please try that?

Best regards,

Niels