Turbotext problem with OS4FEupdate2

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
xenic

Turbotext problem with OS4FEupdate2

Post by xenic »

TurboText works well with OS4FEupdate1, including the 'Find' functions.
However, with OS4FEupdate2 the Find requester fails to work as it should.
If I open the 'Find' menu in TurboText and enter some text and a carriage
return in the requester, TurboText displays a sleep pointer and freezes.
If I don't enter the carriage return and instead click the 'Find Next'
button, Find works as it should.

I did some testing by replacing previous KickStart files with update2
files one at a time. TurboText works normally with all the update2 files
installed except sb600ide.device.kmod, sb600ide.device.kmod and kernal.
I doubt that the disk drivers have anything to do with the problem so
I am assuming that something ha changed in update2 kernal that is
causing Turbotext not to work correctly.

If you don't have TurboText the problem can be reproduced by doing the
following:
1. Download the TurboText archive from Aminet.
2. Extract the archive to ram: (or location of your choice).
3. Open the 'Disk' Drawer and then the Data drawer.
4. Double click of the TTX icon to open the editor.
5. Open a text file in the editor.
6. Use the 'Find' menu to open the find requester.
7. Enter some text in the requester followed by a carriage return.

I'm using an X1000 system with OS4FEupdate2.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
NinjaCyborg

Re: Turbotext problem with OS4FEupdate2

Post by NinjaCyborg »

As the person who got agreement from Martin Taillefer to release it for free many years ago I would love to be able to fix it for you but you probably know he didn't have or release the source code which was written in Modula2. Does the version that comes with Amiga Forever have the same problem? That had some binary patches applied to it to fix issues.

TTX does use asyncio library, for which there is an os4 native version, is there any chance that could be the problem ? (I presume not since your crash is in find and I don't think it does lazy loading of the file)
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Just a long shot, but one I feel needs to be checked:

You did - as instructed during installation - add the line in your Kicklayout for the pasemi_dma.resource.kmod, right?

It used to be part of the kernel, but has now been put into a separate module specifically for the X1000.

Best regards,

Niels
xenic

Post by xenic »

@ NinjaCyborg
I have an unused copy of AmigaForever8, so I copyed TurboText from there and it has the same problem with update2. The only difference I can see in the AmigaForever version is that it defaults to a white background.

I have OS4 asyncio.library but it's not installed. I think it was recommended years ago not to use asyncio.library for some reason. The find command works if I use it from the TurboText shell so I assume the problem is with the find requester. I've been using TurboText for over 25 years and now I keep forgetting not to hit the "Enter" key when I enter a search word.

I wish the TurboText sources had been found and released because I have the M2Sprint Modula2 compiler and may have even attempted to port the code to C language.
xenic

Post by xenic »

@nbache
Every time I see an update2 problem reported I wonder if the pasemi_dma.resource.kmod file was installed and an entry for it added to Kicklayout. The answer to your query is yes I have that kmod installed and added the MODULE entry in Kicklayout in the specified spot.

It would be nice if the problem were added to the bug reports but I guess it's unlikely to be fixed unless others complain about the same problem. In the meantime I guess I'll just revert my system to update1.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

I'll try to reproduce it here in a few days, when I get a moment (probably after Easter).

Best regards,

Niels
NinjaCyborg

Post by NinjaCyborg »

@xenic I tried to reproduce your defect today but I could not. In fact I found Turbotext to be working pretty nicely. There is a bug with the zoom gadget redraw when resizing a window. And the fact turbotext renders little text statuses into the title bar glitches. But I could not reproduce your crash.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

(Thanks for the reminder, almost forgot :-/)

I tried it now after copying over the TurboText installation from AmigaForever 8.

I do get the same problem you see, xenic.

I start TTX, Open, select TurboText_Manual (it's actually an AmigaGuide document, but that shouldn't make a difference; the size might, of course), use Find from the Search menu, enter "Copy" and hit Return, and the cursor shows the wait symbol.

I'll try to gather some more info (Snoopy log perhaps), but I doubt it is anything general, because I use return in Find gadgets in many other programs without such problems. So perhaps you're right in assuming it's not likely to get fixed. We'll see.

Edit: Just tried loading a smaller, real text file (one of the ARrexx scripts), and it behaved in the same way.

Best regards,

Niels
NinjaCyborg

Post by NinjaCyborg »

I'm using 4.1FEu2 on Sam 460ex. So maybe the bug is platform specific?
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Possibly.

I tested on my X1000 with a Radeon HD 6670, so it's not limited to the Sam460ex. BTW, I had booted from my beta partition, but I don't expect that to matter much (I'll try my public upd2 config as well later).

Best regards,

Niels