Bug in FE Update 2 Date Command

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
MikeSteed

Re: Bug in FE Update 2 Date Command

Post by MikeSteed »

us.pool.ntp.org seems to have gotten less reliable lately, and I've been having Date crash on bootup once or twice a week. So I reverted timesync.library back to version 53.7. That didn't fix the problem though, and Date continues to crash when fetching the time from a server if the server is unavailable.

Colin did say that the bug was in "timesync.library V53.8 and earlier", but I never had any crashes until I installed Update 2. So I reverted the Date command instead, from v. 53.7 to v. 53.5 (which came with FE). That solved the problem, and running

> Date SERVER blah.de.blah

now returns the error message "DATE: Couldn't get remote time: Unknown host". And running

> Date SERVER us.pool.ntp.org

when the time server is offline returns the error message "DATE: Couldn't get remote time: Resource temporarily unavailable", just like it's supposed to. It continues to work properly when I switched timesync.library back to v. 53.8.

While the bug may technically be in timesync.library, the earlier version of the Date command seems to work properly anyway, while the Update 2 Date command gets tripped up. (Time Preferences also works correctly, displaying the proper error message in a requester.)

So the workaround for the Date crash would seem to be to revert Date, and leave timesync.library alone.

Mike
colinw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by colinw »

The propper fixes are in the pipeline, please try an avoid mix-n-match type solutions,
you usually get more unpleasant old bugs and interactions reappearing when reverting components.

This particular problem stems from erroneous documentation where different components expected
different things, but what works for one application may crash another with this particular issue.

A new timesync.library is coming first, to stop the crashes with ALL versions of all the
commands and applications that are interacting with it.
Rigo
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Rigo »

timesync.library is now available from update.amigaos.net.

Yes, Hyperion are once again making updates available. Yay!

Simon
chris

Post by chris »

dstastny wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:03 pm I have to chuckle as I woke up this morning to this crash. You had recommend to me a while back to replace timeguard(still does not work) with a scheduler that runs DATE SERVER PERFS and sure enough it DSI'd this morning.
Bit late to this or would have suggested it earlier, but have you considered yFacts?

It does the same as running the DATE command on a schedule, except without the rubbishness of running the DATE command on a schedule. ie. it is functionally equivalent to running DATE SERVER PREFS, every 60 minutes, with no further config - you can just put it in WBStartup and forget about it.
MikeSteed

Post by MikeSteed »

@colinw

Thank you (and all the others involved) for getting this fix out so quickly! :D I wouldn't have bothered investigating a workaround if I knew the fix was coming so soon; I was figuring we'd have to wait for Update 3.

It's a much lower priority, but hopefully at some point we'll get new versions of Date and the Time Preferences editor that will again display the extended error messages. I normally run Date in the background and so don't see error messages anyway, but on those occasions when I run it manually to investigate a time server error -- or to look for a more reliable time server -- it can be helpful to see the extended messages.

Mike
colinw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by colinw »

Those have already been updated and have been with the beta testers for some time.
The first priority was to stop the crashes with an updated timesync.library.
The rest will be released when appropriate, (soon).
Amiguy

Post by Amiguy »

Hello,

I had registered as an update server 'amiupdate.codebench.co.uk' and added the server 'update.amigaos.net'. But neither server loads the new 'timesync.library. Where is the error?

I specify that after checking, I have version 53.8.

Edit :
After adding the update.amigaos.net server, I am asked for connection parameters for AmigaOSUpdateServer. I don't know these parameters (Username / Password) ... How can I connect to the server?
Amiga 1200 2Mb Chip - PiStorm32 lite - CF 128Gb - Indivision MK3 - GOEX Drive - WB 3.2.2.1
AmigaOne X5000 2Ghz / 8Gb Ram - SSD 2x4Tb - Radeon RX 580 4Gb - Sound Blaster Audigy FX 5.1 SBX - AmigaOS4.1 FE
kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by kas1e »

After adding the update.amigaos.net server, I am asked for connection parameters for AmigaOSUpdateServer. I don't know these parameters (Username / Password) ... How can I connect to the server?
ITs the same user/pass which you had for Hyperion's site on the web.
chris

Post by chris »

kas1e wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:29 pm
ITs the same user/pass which you had for Hyperion's site on the web.
I changed mine a while back, and it seems they are saved in a file called SiteList. If you edit them in here they are fine, but AmiUpdate doesn't complain if you have an incorrect username/password - and also if you remove this file it won't recreate it, and instead will ask for the username/password every time.
dstastny

Post by dstastny »

@Hyperion - thank you for quick fix. I dont know what to say other than yay!

@Chris - thanks for the tip, I didn't see that software and will check it out. My googling skills were weak.

Regards
Doug