TextEditor & StringGadget Cursor colour Tags?

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
amifrog

TextEditor & StringGadget Cursor colour Tags?

Post by amifrog »

Recently while playing with Workbench themes it appears to be seriously difficult to find colour combinations that let the cursor in text fields really pop out, namely in Notepad and other applications using the normal Gadget toolkit (Reaction).
I wonder how those colours are being set from the developers pov; what pen is used?
String gadgets seem to only have foreground/background cols (each for active&inactive states), and borders, but no cursor colour?
In comparison, MUI allows distinct colours for the cursor as well, for every class separately sometimes.
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: TextEditor & StringGadget Cursor colour Tags?

Post by broadblues »

A quick test confirms that the cursor background is taken from the shine colour in GUI prefs. There doesn't appear to be a distinct cursor colour pen ID.

I'm not sure that seperate tags to allow setting the cursor colour would be useful as every app would need to be updated to make any use of them.

But a CURSORPEN would make sense.

For now when designing a theme palette make sure that SHINEPEN contrasts well with TEXTPEN
Last edited by broadblues on Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

I created an enhancement request for a dedicated CURSORPEN, BZ 10326 can't give any guarantees as to it's adoption though :-)
amifrog

Post by amifrog »

Thanx.