Skip iprefs on bootup?

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
daveyw

Skip iprefs on bootup?

Post by daveyw »

Hi,

I am having some major problems installing Update 2 on my X5000 and now cannot boot from my main Hard Drive.

The installation on my Workbench partition kept failing, so I thought I would set my back up partition to a higher priority and boot from that, but unfortunately it was looking for a workbench backdrop that no longer exists so I can't boot from it either.

Is there a way of skipping iprefs during boot?

I know I should be able to boot from another device such as the install CD or emergency usb, but for some reason this has never worked for me - my X5000 always starts to boot from the partition selected in uboot, but then switches to the HD partition with the highest boot priority (I have set the environment variable os4_bootdevice=auto but this has no effect).
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Skip iprefs on bootup?

Post by nbache »

What boot priorities have you set for your hard drives?

Also, if you hold down a Ctrl key during startup, you should get it to start without the Startup-sequence. Then, if you remember the names of your various backdrops, you could try, from the startup Shell to copy one of the others to the name of the missing one, then you may be able to boot the backup.

Best regards,

Niels
daveyw

Post by daveyw »

Thanks for the reply.

I was able to boot off CD by attaching my boot SSD to the 3112 card. Then I was able to remove the offending wb pref file.

Alot of effort, took all day yesterday, thankfully still on holiday, but I was able to boot off the drive again and successfully install update 2, athough it won't connect to internet.

My boot partition is priority 5 and the backup 4.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

daveyw wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:24 pmI was able to boot off CD by attaching my boot SSD to the 3112 card. Then I was able to remove the offending wb pref file.
Great!
My boot partition is priority 5 and the backup 4.
You should probably try to keep all HD boot prios below 5 (i.e. 4 or lower), or you might have similar problems again.

Best regards,

Niels