Home/End keys support in MultiView (text file)

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
samo79

Home/End keys support in MultiView (text file)

Post by samo79 »

I have a feature request: I'm often using MultiView 53.8 to quickly open text files .. however i noted that "Home" and "End" keys of keyboard was never implemented in MultiView for scrolling pages up and down ...

Atleast page-up and page-down is availible, however why not home/end keys ?
Can a ticket could be open for a remind ?
Rigo
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Home/End keys support in MultiView (text file)

Post by Rigo »

It is my understanding that "Home" and "End" are primarily designed to work on a line (ie: left and right), not up and down. At least it is that way on another very popular OS :)

Simon
MichaelMerkel
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by MichaelMerkel »

Rigo wrote:It is my understanding that "Home" and "End" are primarily designed to work on a line (ie: left and right), not up and down. At least it is that way on another very popular OS :)

Simon
well, trying it on firefox here on a win10 machine "home" jumps to the top of the page and "end" to the bottom...
so for a vertical layout it should behave like that - imho.

regards...
michael
Michael Merkel :lol:
(Member of Amiga Freunde Pfalz)
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

In text editors, word processors, and similar editing programs, where moving a character-sized cursor to the start/end of a line is useful (because you want to edit there), Home/End usually do that.

In text display programs (including browsers etc.), you usually have no cursor and no need to move to the start or end horizontally (except if the page is wider than the window). In such cases, Home/End usually serve to move quickly to the start/end of the whole file.

This seems practical to me, and I would second the wish to have it work also in MultiView (albeit as a fairly low priority, since Ctrl-arrow key - a traditional Amiga key combo - already does the same).

Best regards,

Niels
mritter0

Post by mritter0 »

I agree with Niels. In a text editor Home/End is for the current line. Ctrl+Home/End goes to top/bottom of the document.
Workbench Explorer - A better way to browse drawers
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

The latter two (Ctrl Home/End) are however to my knowledge not yet implemented in any publically released Amiga program.

(Your chance for another first, Mark ;-)).

Best regards,

Niels
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Alt-Up and Alt-Down also go to the extremes of the document in "standard" Amiga key shortcuts.
cheers
tony
samo79

Post by samo79 »

Then, can be implemented at the end ? :)
xenic

Post by xenic »

samo79 wrote:Then, can be implemented at the end ? :)
Multiviewer doesn't seem to implement it either, so maybe it's the datatype that needs to be updated.

I tested a number of text editors, word processors and text readers. They seem to be about evenly split between 'top & bottom of document', 'begin & end of line' and 'not implemented at all'. There doesn't seem to be any system wide consistancy for the Home and End keys. I've never used the Home & End keys so I'd say implement it in the dual way; begin & end of line without a control char and top & bottom of with a control char.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE