Cant get online since update 3 [SOLVED]

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
fitzsteve

Cant get online since update 3 [SOLVED]

Post by fitzsteve »

Hi!

Since installing update 3 I can't get online with my uA1, I have tried the auto internet setup as well as entering my settings manually, it assigns the IP address and such but I get the below error and no sites will load nor will any of my apps connect to the Internet.

It used to work with Update 1/2 however I had to run the setup utility after each boot as it would not connect to the internet after a cold boot :(

Does anyone have any suggestions? Update 2/3 seem to have broken more than they fixed for me, another issue is my rear USB ports don't seem to work since Update 2, although thats another story!

I wonder what I would loose going back to update 1? Everything worked great back then :lol:

Cheers,

Steve.
Spectre660

Re: Cant get online since update 3 :-(

Post by Spectre660 »

Do you have a backup of your pre update 3 settings ?
If so then you could try copying the internet settings to your update 3 partition rather than running the config prefs.
Key files below

13.System:> list SYS:Devs/NetInterfaces/Eth0
Directory "SYS:Devs/NetInterfaces" on Thursday 22-Sep-11
Eth0 206 ----rwed 12-Mar-10 21:54:11

13.System:> list SYS:Devs/Internet/name_resolution
Directory "SYS:Devs/Internet" on Thursday 22-Sep-11
name_resolution 137 ----rwed 21-Aug-11 11:31:48
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

It used to work with Update 1/2 however I had to run the setup utility after each boot as it would not connect to the internet after a cold boot.
That shows that you didn't have it set up properly even then. It's rather difficult to debug your installation on a forum like this, but you should use Prefs/Internet to check and correct the settings. Select each of the left column's entries and double-click on the right column's entry to examine or edit it. Don't forget to Save the settings once you've changed them.

You can test the results from a Shell with ShowNetStatus and using Ping to contact another machine on your local network, your router or your ISP.
If that doesn't get it going properly, I would suggest looking for help from a nearby Amigan or perhaps on IRC. Once you've got it right, you should save the settings (the contents of Devs:Networks/ and Devs:NetInterfaces/) somewhere you can reload them from next time you install an Update.
cheers
tony
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Hypex »

Usually it can't find a route if added a gateway manually to the list or one is saved that doesn't exist. Such as from one router and then changing with another rouiter with a different gateway address, DHCP should pick it up. So, try erasing the gateway. Or at least put in what's your main router IP.
fitzsteve

Post by fitzsteve »

Issue now fixed, it was stupidly simple too. I just had to delete the file Devs:Internet/Routes and re-run the Wizard, online and posting this reply from my uA1, oh and updated to Update 4 - thanks Hyperion :ugeek: