Screen promotion?

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
pvanni

Re: Screen promotion?

Post by pvanni »

I currently use an older version of TurboCalc 4.0 and it has it's configuration settings for screen,
so there is no needs for promoting screen.
On 4.0 you can find the screen selection on Sheet -> Global Settongs -> Screens...
Hope this help
Amigo1

Post by Amigo1 »

@pvanni

Thanks for the suggestion, this is not related to the thread title, but I will answer your post.

The issue with TC 5.02 (and the same occurs with versions prior to that) lead to find what I described in ScreenPrefs. So what really lays underneath, regarding TurboCal is:
- When opening a 256-colours screen my monitor takes too long to switch from 16/32bit to 8bit, even if both have the same resolution and the same refresh rate.
- So I changed TurboCalc's settings to open a 32bit screen.
But then, the "colours" palette on the toolbar does not reflect the proper colours and always displays some different colours in it (brown, grey, dark green..) meaning the colour I select will not be the one displaying/assigned for the Cell/Text (in fact, the colours from the menu Format/Colours or the keyboard shortcut "RAmiga+4" do always display correctly).

I tried playing around with the Palette from the ScreensPrefs for TurboCalc's screen, but it appears is it mostly ignored by TurboCalc, the palette colours in the Toolbar are always incorrect on a 16/32 bit screenmode.
I suppose TurboCalc assigns the first 4 and the last 12 colours to the palette in the toolbar, taking them from the "global 16/32bit palette". So even changing or locking the first 256 colours in the "Palette Prefs" for that screen does make no difference (unless using a real 256color screen I suppose).

So the issue with TurboCalc was not the inability to let it open a screen in a different Screenmode, but the colours it displays.
Amigo1

Post by Amigo1 »

Elwood wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 1:09 pm No freeze here with Lightwave. Maybe the screen resolution you define for TC is just too big, or with wrong fonts.
I use Topaz/8 just to be sure the screen promotion works.
I tried using a 256 colours (8-bit) screen, but TurboCalc just ignores the palette changes (even after re-starting TurboCalc and selecting "save" in both Palette and Screen Prefs for iPrefs to "see" the change). The "Screen preferences -> Palette -> "Use defined colors: Always" option is set, and the "Don't lock defined colors" (of which I don't understand the use it is for) is not checked.
pvanni

Post by pvanni »

Sorry I misread something :)
Amigo1

Post by Amigo1 »

@pvanni

In this case, I can't imagine a scenario where suggestions are not good.
So thanks again.

take care :)