Screen depth

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Screen depth

Post by broadblues »

@Xenic

In tyour PPAint prefs find the option

PROMOTE = 24

and chnage it to

PROMOTE = 16

You may need to do it for both sets just to be sure.

(PS 24 refers to the colour depth of the screen not the bit depth).
xenic

Post by xenic »

broadblues wrote: PROMOTE = 24

and chnage it to

PROMOTE = 16
That works but brings back a problem I had with the old 68k Cloanto PPaint. When I move the mouse pointer I get random junk drawn in the window. I can't remember how that got fixed for the old version. I don't remember if it was a change in PPaint or OS4.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
trixie

Post by trixie »

broadblues wrote:You probably do need to reload images if you jump from CLUT to 16/32 or vice verca
Yes you do need to do that, I've just checked.
but not if you jump from 16/32 to another 16/32 .
Correct.
The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

xenic wrote:
broadblues wrote: PROMOTE = 24

and chnage it to

PROMOTE = 16
That works but brings back a problem I had with the old 68k Cloanto PPaint. When I move the mouse pointer I get random junk drawn in the window. I can't remember how that got fixed for the old version. I don't remember if it was a change in PPaint or OS4.
What OS version?
xenic

Post by xenic »

broadblues wrote:What OS version?
I'm running OS4.1FE with a Radeon HD 5450 and all the new drivers that I bought at AmiStore. When I first got my X1000 I had lots of graphics corruption when running some programs on 16bit screens. Most of the corruption problems eventually disappeared with newer graphics drivers. I still have small vertical blue lines in some of the checkmark gadgets in the Dopus4 configuration window on a 16bit screen. Hans explained that there are some variations in the HD5450 card, so some experience graphics corruption and others don't. He also pointed out that some programs have non-aligned accesses to VRAM and that the PA6T chip doesn't like non-aligned accesses across the PCIe bus.

My point is that unless someone else can confirm my graphics corruption in PPaint on a 16bit screen, it may not be worth your time & effort to attempt a fix. I can live with OS4 PPaint on a 32bit screen.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
broadblues
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by broadblues »

That's curious as the primary cause of that bug (in the wider spread ocurance of it anyway) was fixed in OS4.1 FE.

I don't think it can be remedied at Paint level, since it is / was an OS / driver bug.