weird problem with upd3 - dos.library?

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
MichaelMerkel
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

weird problem with upd3 - dos.library?

Post by MichaelMerkel »

hi.

i have one little strange problem with upd3. it took some time to investigate, though...

i found that i have two programs which took much more time loading than with upd2. one is "everyday organizer", or better the "alarmist" part of it and the other one is yam.

the tests i did for alarmist have been performed on a *clean* os4.1 installation. means, just the naked os was installed. just 2 needed assigned and the prefs added.

alarmist:
i usually start it in wbstartup. for the test i started it manually. it should open a window showing me upcoming events.
with upd2 it takes from double click to the window showing about 1-2 seconds.
with upd3 it takes (much) more than 5 seconds.

for yam it looks like this.
when starting yam the info window is shown telling me what yam is doing... the step "lade postfächer" (loading mailboxes?) takes about 2-3 seconds longer than using upd2. this is very noticable :(

after trying and trying i found the culprit on my system. it is dos.library.kmod in the kickstart folder:

upd3: dos 53.76 (04.08.2011)
upd2: dos 53.58 (21.04.2010)

if i use the dos.lib from upd2 everything is fine. using the one from upd3 the slower loading speeds are visible...

anyone else noticing that?

thanks and regards
michael
Michael Merkel :lol:
(Member of Amiga Freunde Pfalz)
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: weird problem with upd3 - dos.library?

Post by ChrisH »

What filingsystem are you using? SFS? FFS? JXFS? FUBARFS? :)
MichaelMerkel
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by MichaelMerkel »

ChrisH wrote:What filingsystem are you using? SFS? FFS? JXFS? FUBARFS? :)
:D
I'm using sfs 1.

Regards...
Michael
corto
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by corto »

Michael : I think about something that you could try. Maybe you could run my profiler Hieronymus, as the delay is more than 5 seconds. With a debug version of YAM, that could point on the function in which much time is spent. I would be interested in the results.
Remember that at the moment, Hieronymus only works on AmigaOne, unfortunately.
MichaelMerkel
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by MichaelMerkel »

corto wrote:Michael : I think about something that you could try. Maybe you could run my profiler Hieronymus, as the delay is more than 5 seconds. With a debug version of YAM, that could point on the function in which much time is spent. I would be interested in the results.
Remember that at the moment, Hieronymus only works on AmigaOne, unfortunately.
i'll give it a try today evening if i find the time.

thanks and regards
michael
BillEaves
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by BillEaves »

MichaelMerkel wrote:hi.

i
i found that i have two programs which took much more time loading than with upd2. one is "everyday organizer", or better the "alarmist" part of it and the other one is yam.

for yam it looks like this.
when starting yam the info window is shown telling me what yam is doing... the step "lade postfächer" (loading mailboxes?) takes about 2-3 seconds longer than using upd2. this is very noticable :(

anyone else noticing that?

thanks and regards
michael

I too have noticed that YAM is taking quite a lot longer for its "Loading Folders" stage since update 3. I am using a JXF4 partition. I would say that my version of YAM is taking about 5 or more seconds longer than it used to.
xenic

Post by xenic »

@MichaelMerkel
I tested warm rebooting with both versions on AmigaDOS and the time with both was 12 seconds. I have about 15 programs & scripts in WBStartup (including Dopus4 opening behind WorkBench). I didn't see much difference, if any.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
chris

Post by chris »

BillEaves wrote:I too have noticed that YAM is taking quite a lot longer for its "Loading Folders" stage since update 3. I am using a JXF4 partition. I would say that my version of YAM is taking about 5 or more seconds longer than it used to.
Loading YAM seems fine here, but when I close it it updates indexes in all folders, and that is taking noticeably longer.
BillEaves
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by BillEaves »

chris wrote:
BillEaves wrote:I too have noticed that YAM is taking quite a lot longer for its "Loading Folders" stage since update 3. I am using a JXF4 partition. I would say that my version of YAM is taking about 5 or more seconds longer than it used to.
Loading YAM seems fine here, but when I close it it updates indexes in all folders, and that is taking noticeably longer.

I think that the problem was due to havig "Load all folders" enabled in the YAM startup. If I disable that option YAM now starts quickly.

The thing is though, is why the initialisation of the folders at startup should take so much longer with update 3 than it did before ?
MichaelMerkel
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by MichaelMerkel »

BillEaves wrote:The thing is though, is why the initialisation of the folders at startup should take so much longer with update 3 than it did before ?
exactly. have you tried to use the old dos.library.kmod to see if it is again fast?

thanks and regards
michael