AmiPDF system freeze

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
xenic

AmiPDF system freeze

Post by xenic »

I needed to print some PDF tax forms using AmiPDF last week and encountered a lot of system freezes. At most I was able to print one good page on my HP Photosmart printer with the HP_Photosmart driver. Either the first or second page would stop printing partway through a page and my system was frozen. I also tested by booting with OS4.1update6 and encountered the same problem, so it's not an FE issue. Also, iconifying AmiPDF blocks Workbench screenmode changes; a problem reported long ago.

The problem isn't my printer or the driver because I was able to switch to AmiGS and print from a PDF with no failures or system freezes.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
Raziel

Re: AmiPDF system freeze

Post by Raziel »

xenic wrote:I needed to print some PDF tax forms using AmiPDF last week and encountered a lot of system freezes. At most I was able to print one good page on my HP Photosmart printer with the HP_Photosmart driver. Either the first or second page would stop printing partway through a page and my system was frozen. I also tested by booting with OS4.1update6 and encountered the same problem, so it's not an FE issue. Also, iconifying AmiPDF blocks Workbench screenmode changes; a problem reported long ago.

The problem isn't my printer or the driver because I was able to switch to AmiGS and print from a PDF with no failures or system freezes.
Second...exactly the same problem here albeit printing with netprinter and to a HP LaserJet 1320n

At max two pages get print then it blows.

For me, though, it will *always* be ghostscript which is actually crashing/erroring out which drags down AmiPDF/netprinter.device

Would be nice to know if there would be an updated ghostscript port available
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
xenic

Post by xenic »

Raziel wrote: Second...exactly the same problem here albeit printing with netprinter and to a HP LaserJet 1320n

At max two pages get print then it blows.

For me, though, it will *always* be ghostscript which is actually crashing/erroring out which drags down AmiPDF/netprinter.device

Would be nice to know if there would be an updated ghostscript port available
When I've used GhostScript from the command line, I found that it needs a huge amount of stack space. It's possible that AmiPDF isn't setting a high enough stack for GhostScript. I've tried increasing the AmiPDF stack in it's icon but that had no effect.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
pvanni

Post by pvanni »

AmiPDF it's very inefficent regarding printing, even printing in image format,
when I cannot print with AmiPDF I use AmiGS, the printout it's of lower quality,
but I never had problems with it, I know it's not a solution, but a little workaround