Booting into 4.1FE (x1000)

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
AmigaNG

Booting into 4.1FE (x1000)

Post by AmigaNG »

Hay guys got my copy of Os4.1FE just a few days ago and been waiting for my first day off to install it, I think its gone ok, I just cant seem to get my X1000 to boot into it?

So the system is pretty much the same as Amigakit sent it to, 1x1tb hard drive with two partitions.
BH0: boot partition (100mb I think?)
DH0: System (AmigaOS 4.1.6 is) 2Gb (1gb in use) (boot priority 0)
DH1: Work (where my apps are) 800Gb (25gb in use)

So I decided to try and keep that current set up and just create two new partitions and take the space from Work part, I back up everything to a USB harddrive before hand and decided to alter the Work partition so now I have

DH0: System (AmigaOS 4.1.6 is) 2Gb (1gb in use) (boot priority 1)
DH1: Work (where my apps are for the old OS, restored and working fine) 200Gb (25gb in use)
DH2: AmigaOS (AmigaOS 4.1 FE) 20gb (boot priority 0)
DH3: Work (new apps will be for FE) 500Gb

But it keeps booting into my old system, I have tried renaming them DH2 to DH0 and vis versa, no change and have gone into classic Boot screen and tried disable os4.1.6 but all that seem to do is hang the system on the OS4.1.6 image. Do I need to do anything to the amigaboot.of file?

thanks, bit of a noob to all this.
2012 - the year I got a new Amiga and the world ended.....a good year.
AmigaNG

Re: Booting into 4.1FE (x1000)

Post by AmigaNG »

Disregard, dopey me, I just remember something years ago that really had me worried when I first tried I think it was shapeshifter the MacOS emulator for Amiga and created partitions for it just like this and when I came to boot into my Amiga it just kept booting into Mac not realising that the Boot priority its the higher number that is loaded first not the lowest number which always in my mind doest make sense, so I just changed it OS4FE too boot1 and os4.1.6 to boot0 and its working now, sorry for your time.
2012 - the year I got a new Amiga and the world ended.....a good year.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Booting into 4.1FE (x1000)

Post by nbache »

A better way to have multiboot capability without having to mess with the Early Startup Menu and boot priorities is to set up your CFE menu to give you a second menu with the bootable systems to choose from.

All this is documented in the CFE document, but to give you a short hint, I have the following variables (among others) in CFE:

MENU_0_LABEL=AmigaOS 4.1
MENU_1_LABEL=AmigaOS Boot Menu
MENU_TIMEOUT=3
MENU_0_COMMAND=setenv amigaboot_quiet Y; boot -fs=amigafs ide0.0:amigaboot.of
MENU_1_COMMAND=boot -fs=amigafs ide0.0:amigaboot.of

Normally I just let i default to the first menu item (MENU_0), which boots my default setup. This is either the first one found, or you can specify it by setting the CFE variable boot_config to the name (label) of the Kicklayout config you want to boot.

If I choose the second one (MENU_1), I get the second menu (created automatically by the bootloader) with a list of bootable kickstarts found, whether you have them all listed in the first Kicklayout found, or you have a kicklayout on each bootable device; I prefer the first solution, and also using BootDevice files (read Documentation/Kickstart/bootmenu.doc) in each kicklayout config to make sure WB is loaded from the correct device for each kickstart (there is also another solution to this, something like setting that variable to auto, I think; it was mentioned here on the bard recently).

Best regards,

Niels