DDC not working (screen blanking)

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Post Reply
hotrod
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:17 pm

DDC not working (screen blanking)

Post by hotrod »

Hello and thank you very much for update 3!

However the issue that I got with screen blanking are still the same. Luckily I had saved the old monitor file that makes everything fine most of the time. The only time it blanks now is when I run Swamp Defense (lots of things happening on the screen all the time). It happens sometimes when using AmigaAMP and got the meters showing. Other than that I can move around windows, open/close them, scroll and so on without any issues.

However, selecting DCC doesn't work at all, it blanks as soon as I try to move a window or opens a window. Is there any info that you need from me that I haven't already given in that old thread over at amigaworld.net? Just let me know and I'll try to give you all the information that you want.

The machine is an A1 G4 XE with a Radeon 9250 and the screen is a Samsung P2350. I hope that this will be fixed but I'm getting the fealing that I can just forget about it and have to live with it. It seems like few people got this issue and I'm just happens to be one of the lucky ones :-P . I don't however think that there can be much that you can do wrong from the user side of things. I wish that I had some other monitor to try this on but I don't. Am I really the only user with this monitor?


Maybe I should open another thread for this other little bug I've found but I type it here for now as well (sorry). When I was about to check the info in the monitor file I right-clicked the icon to bring up the popup menu to select "Information" but I accidently leftclicked very quickly after, got the rectangle for selecting/marking icons and it got stuck. Yes I released the left mouse button :-P . The rectangle was there all the time and the keyboard stopped working (USB). The mouse pointer I could move around with the rectange changing size. I also got a PS2 keyboard plugged in which worked still.

That's it so far :-P .
Last edited by hotrod on Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer
Posts: 1415
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:36 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: DCC not working (screen blanking)

Post by tonyw »

Do you have a serial cable? Can you report what happens at boot time? There should be a lot of debug information spat out, reporting what the monitor replied when interrogated. That information should include all the supported screenmodes, max and min scan frequencies, etc. Without it, the DDC isn't going to provide any auto screenmodes to choose from.

It's possibly a problem with the scan rate limits in the Devs:Monitors/Radeon icon tooltypes.

If you don't have a serial cable and can't capture debug information, have you checked that the icon tooltypes are correct according to the monitor handbook? Are you sure that you aren't using a screenmode that asks too much of the monitor?
cheers
tony

hotrod
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:17 pm

Re: DCC not working (screen blanking)

Post by hotrod »

tonyw wrote:Do you have a serial cable? Can you report what happens at boot time? There should be a lot of debug information spat out, reporting what the monitor replied when interrogated. That information should include all the supported screenmodes, max and min scan frequencies, etc. Without it, the DDC isn't going to provide any auto screenmodes to choose from.

It's possibly a problem with the scan rate limits in the Devs:Monitors/Radeon icon tooltypes.

If you don't have a serial cable and can't capture debug information, have you checked that the icon tooltypes are correct according to the monitor handbook? Are you sure that you aren't using a screenmode that asks too much of the monitor?
Thank you for answering :-) . Yes I've checked the handbook and Samsungs webpage and typed in the info accordingly, this just doesn't work at all or improve anything. How I got it to the "almost working" state that I have right now was by checking the kHz and Hz being used by other operating system and trying to create something similar in AOS. For some reason whatever info the montior gave me in Windows and MacOS X didn't work in AOS but Ubuntu gave me some completely different numbers and they kind of work... almost :-) . I think that when I run DDC (is it DDC or DCC, I always mix them because of DC++ :-P) it sets the min and max VSync to both 60Hz and I changed it 50 and 60 Hz respectively. It was a long time ago now so I don't remember exactly each and every step I did but...

I'm not sure if I got a serial cable laying around somewhere but I'll have a look. Doesn't it show lots of other info that are useless as well? Back at the aw.net thread we used.

Here's the link with some information of what was done back then

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/vie ... =14#586636

It's a short thread so I hope you can be bothered to have a quick look. What I wrote about getting it to work was this:

"None of the settings that I've tried worked, not DDC modes, not manual settings, nothing! But when I was using Linux on the PC I had a look at the "Information" on the OSD on the flatscreen and it showed that it was runing at 50Hz for some reason. Anyway, that fixed it!

I don't know why, when using Windows or MacOS X it shows that it's runing at 60Hz (yes it doesn't matter for flatscreens I know but how to figure that out?) . Using the VSYNC and HSYNC settings from the manual doesn't allow me to use something as low as 50Hz IIRC so I had to change the VSYNCMIN setting too."

We used "dumpdebugbuffer" back then and if I use it now this is the result:
Hidden Text - Click to Show :
Scanning bus 'dvi'
0000: 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 4C 2D 26 05 33 32 52 4C ........L-&.32RL
0010: 2E 13 01 03 80 33 1D 78 2A E9 E1 A3 54 26 0F 4C .....3.x*...T&.L
0020: 99 50 54 23 08 00 81 00 81 40 81 80 95 00 A9 40 .PT#.....@.....@
0030: B3 00 01 01 01 01 02 3A 80 18 71 38 2D 40 58 2C .......:..q8-@X,
0040: 45 00 FE 1F 11 00 00 1E 00 00 00 FD 00 38 3C 1E E............8<.
0050: 51 11 00 0A 20 20 20 20 20 20 00 00 00 FC 00 53 Q..............S
0060: 79 6E 63 4D 61 73 74 65 72 0A 20 20 00 00 00 FF yncMaster.......
0070: 00 48 39 4D 53 42 30 34 31 32 36 0A 20 20 01 D3 .H9MSB04126.....
EDID V1.3
ManufacturerID SAM ProductID 0526
SerialNo 1280455219 Manufactured week 46 of 2009
Input type digital
Display gamma 2.20
Maximum Image Size 51x29cm
PowerManagement Standby no Suspend no ActiveOff yes
Monitor Name SyncMaster
Serial Number H9MSB04126

Established timings:
800x600@60
800x600@56
640x480@60
1024x768@60

Standard Timing Identification:
1280x800@60hz (16:10)
Not Found: 1280x800@60hz (16:10) - calling CVT(RB=1)
1280x960@60hz (4:3)
1280x1024@60hz (5:4)
1440x900@60hz (16:10)
Not Found: 1440x900@60hz (16:10) - calling CVT(RB=1)
1600x1200@60hz (4:3)
1680x1050@60hz (16:10)
Not Found: 1680x1050@60hz (16:10) - calling CVT(RB=1)

Mode 1920x1080@60hz 67khz
DotClock 148500000hz
HTimings 1920 2008 2052 2200
VTimings 1080 1084 1089 1125
Image Size 510x287mm
Flags progressive +hsync +vsync

Monitor Range Limits:
Horizontal frequency 30 - 81khz
Vertical frequency 56 - 60hz
Pixelclock 170Mhz

User avatar
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Posts: 403
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:23 pm
Location: Vic. Australia.

Re: DDC not working (screen blanking)

Post by Hypex »

tonyw wrote:f you don't have a serial cable and can't capture debug information, h
He shouldn't have to go thar far. C:DumpDebugBuffer does the job for me! :-)

Well when I have a DDC monitor connected anyway. My dedicated LCD monitor I use doesn't support DDC and Linux thinks it a CRT! :-?

User avatar
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer
Posts: 1415
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:36 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: DDC not working (screen blanking)

Post by tonyw »

The max and min scan rates only apply to the driver software. If you specify a vert scan rate of 56-60 Hz, it won't generate a refresh rate outside that range. Any supported scan rates from the DDC response that lie outside those limits will not be generated or seen in the screenmode list.

I looked at the old thread but I can't follow it. Let's try it slowly. one step at a time and we should get it right. It's not rocket surgery.
Monitor Range Limits:
Horizontal frequency 30 - 81khz
Vertical frequency 56 - 60hz
So your icon tooltypes should say:

CMPLENGTH=11
BOARDNAME=Radeon 9250
DDCMODE=All

If you like (but it shouldn't be necessary), you can enable the scan rate limits, like so:

VSYNCMIN=56
VSYNCMAX=60
HSYNCMIN=30000
HSYNCMAX=81000

Then when you reboot (only a warm reboot needed), you should get all the modes listed in your screenmode list:

1280x960@60hz (4:3)
1280x1024@60hz (5:4)
1600x1200@60hz (4:3)
1920x1080@60 Hz (16:9)

I took out the modes that the chip driver couldn't find, but you still should see those above if "DDCMODE=All" is in the tooltypes.

If you don't, then I would suspect a hardware problem.
Try changing the tooltypes to what I have suggested. If it comes up in 640x480, then you can always go in and change the tooltypes back again.
cheers
tony

hotrod
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:17 pm

Re: DDC not working (screen blanking)

Post by hotrod »

Oh but please, you don't think that I've done this already? Like 100 times. Well now it's 101 and guess what, it doesn't work! I am able to read on a paper and write on a computer, about as clever as a monkey. Anyway if I use those settings I won't be able to use the screenmode at 1920x1080@50Hz which is the only way to stop the blanking. For some reason Linux used that setting too. Anyway it's blanking right now as I'm typing this so I'm gonna switch back to my previous settings.

One more thing I can do is try my Radeon 7000. I think I already did but just to rule out that there are any hardware issue with my graphicscard. If that doesn't work don't even try to blame the screen, it works with Windows 7, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, MacOS X so that should be enough, right?

Thank you.

hotrod
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:17 pm

Re: DDC not working (screen blanking)

Post by hotrod »

Ok great, that is the only other card that I have for AGP 2x and it got only VGA out so I can not test it. However I find it *very* hard to believe that there is something wrong with the screen since it obviously work on every single computer except for this one. And hardware error with the graphicscard? It was bought new, has lived in the A1 tower since I bought it except for two times when I gave my Radeon 7000 a go, and what kind of error displays a picture, everything works except that I can't get DDC to work and offcourse I can only see and use half VRAM.

To me it sounds like you've given up on it, buy another computer instead with a gfxcard that you say are working because you won't do a thing about the Radeon driver any more, time to move on, is that correct?

To me it sounds like another "the CPU cooler isn't good enough, if you get lockups while transfering a file over the network while playing sound that's the reason". Or "the soundchip isn't mounted correctly and useless, there is no other way". It's just another "the user is too dumb to use the computer" behaviour or another "we can't fix it so we lie". I am sorry but this is getting very old and frustrating right now. Do you really think, honestly, that there is something wrong with my hardware? Since the screen is obviously ok unless it magically works with every other operating system just by coinsidense I COULD buy like a couple of more graphicscards from ebay. However to me it sounds very likeley that it won't solve anything, don't you agree?

I'm done replacing things for no purpose just for you to get rid of me as you see me as some kind of problem. Solve the issue instead OR say that you can't. Don't force me to do things or spend money for nothing.

User avatar
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Posts: 1010
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:51 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: DDC not working (screen blanking)

Post by ssolie »

hotrod wrote:Oh but please, you don't think that I've done this already? Like 100 times. Well now it's 101 and guess what, it doesn't work! I am able to read on a paper and write on a computer, about as clever as a monkey.
hotrod wrote:I'm done replacing things for no purpose just for you to get rid of me as you see me as some kind of problem. Solve the issue instead OR say that you can't. Don't force me to do things or spend money for nothing.
Please tone it down a few notches. Thank you.
ExecSG Team Lead

hotrod
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:17 pm

Re: DDC not working (screen blanking)

Post by hotrod »

Absolutely when you stop blaming me or the hardware. It's only fair. I can't do *anything* about this issue that I haven't done so stop telling me lies.

Thank you.

User avatar
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Posts: 1010
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:51 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: DDC not working (screen blanking)

Post by ssolie »

hotrod wrote:Absolutely when you stop blaming me or the hardware. It's only fair. I can't do *anything* about this issue that I haven't done so stop telling me lies.

Thank you.
I realize emotions may be running high but that is no excuse for becoming hostile towards others and ignoring a moderator's request. User has been banned for 7 days to cool down.
ExecSG Team Lead

Post Reply