AmigaOS 4.1 final edition?

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
satiropan

AmigaOS 4.1 final edition?

Post by satiropan »

having read here
http://hyperion-entertainment.biz/index ... &Itemid=18
I am wondering:
will it be a real cd or a .iso image to be downloaded?
will it finally be just one cd for all amiga NG hardwares or still a different cd for every hardware?
how it happens that they are giving up earning a lot of money for each OS as they did before?
is it because OS4.2 is almost ready to come out and it will cost the usual price (or more)?
or it's just that the holy light of pure amigadom finally has descended upon them ?
Satiropan
PPA1200 (Poor Portable Amiga 1200): BPPC-160MB,
BVision-CGX4, HD 10GB, slim DVD R/W, Asus VW161D
display, 3COM Lan PC card, OS4.1FE
AmigaOne G3-SE 600MHz, 1GB, Radeon 9200 128DDR,
CS4281 sound card, RTL8029, SiI3114, OS 4.1.6 & OS4.1FE
http://www.oldfab.webs.com
salass00
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: AmigaOS 4.1 final edition?

Post by salass00 »

satiropan wrote: will it be a real cd or a .iso image to be downloaded?
It will be a real CD-ROM in a DVD style box.
will it finally be just one cd for all amiga NG hardwares or still a different cd for every hardware?
It will be a separate CD-ROM for each supported platform (Classic, A1, Pegasos 2, Sam440, Sam460, X1000).
how it happens that they are giving up earning a lot of money for each OS as they did before?
Not sure what you are trying to imply here. The price of 4.1 Final Edition was reduced only because the update is not as big as some users may have hoped for (no Gallium or SMP yet for instance). When AmigaOS 4.2 comes out it will be sold at the regular full price.
is it because OS4.2 is almost ready to come out and it will cost the usual price (or more)?
It would make no sense to produce and sell 4.1 FE CDs if 4.2 was "almost ready".
or it's just that the holy light of pure amigadom finally has descended upon them ?
:roll:
satiropan

Post by satiropan »

they say:
"AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition requires NO previous version of AmigaOS 4.x and is a stand-alone product, quite possibly the most affordable version of AmigaOS ever to be released."
who then is still going to buy the AOS4.1 that Acube sels for €105 + shipping?
it tastes as a soldout, the last squeeze of our pockets before os4.2 comes out?
Satiropan
salass00
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by salass00 »

satiropan wrote: who then is still going to buy the AOS4.1 that Acube sels for €105 + shipping?
And how is this different from when AmigaOS 4.1 came out? It's not really realistic to increase the price tag every time a new OS release is made and I really don't see why you think that there needs to be an incentive to buy an obsolete OS version when a newer one is available (especially as 4.1 original release is several years old).
Thomas Frieden
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Thomas Frieden »

satiropan wrote:It tastes as a soldout, the last squeeze of our pockets before os4.2 comes out?
The last squeeze ? Give me a break, the last time you had to actually take money out of your pocket for OS4 was in 2008, that's six years ago, with a lot of updates in the meantime.

Don't want it ? Don't buy it, as easy as that.
Hans-Joerg Frieden
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Hans-Joerg Frieden »

satiropan wrote:how it happens that they are giving up earning a lot of money for each OS as they did before?
Oh, the irony of that statement.
NOTICE: If you want to contact me, use E-Mail. I cannot be contacted via the forum/private messages anymore
xenic

Post by xenic »

Good grief. If the OS 4.1 Final CD were free, some of you would be complain about paying the postage!
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
sundown
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by sundown »

[quote="salass00"][quote="satiropan"]

Not sure what you are trying to imply here. The price of 4.1 Final Edition was reduced only because the update is not as big as some users may have hoped for (no Gallium or SMP yet for instance). When AmigaOS 4.2 comes out it will be sold at the regular full price.
[quote]

There was some confusion at the Amiwest show over future update costs. Steven Solie called Ben to find out what the deal was. Ben told Steven that as of the show, all future paid updates would cost 30 euros, this includes 4.2. X1000 buyers have already paid for 4.2, so still free for them.

Ken
X1000 - Antec Solo case, 4GB DDR2 mem, XFX R9 270 gfx card, Plextor DVD, 2 Samsung 1TB F3 HDD, RTL-8139 network card, Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W PSU
satiropan

Post by satiropan »

[/quote]

Not sure what you are trying to imply here. The price of 4.1 Final Edition was reduced only because the update is not as big as some users may have hoped for (no Gallium or SMP yet for instance)

[quote]
then, why not just keep offering free updates with amiupdate? or offering the updates to be downloaded as an .iso image, free for registered users, as it was before?
this makes me think of the squeeze:
OS4.2 or whatever is called is ready to come out, so just let us get some more money selling the 4.1 final at a low price, let's shake amigans pockets once more and get whatever comes out, then we will sell 4.2 at regular price.
I understand that these people have to be paied for their work, but I feel this offer is just a way to get more money. they just could put the OS4.2 out and sell it now, but in this way they make more money selling a thing that is destined to end, when the newest and better thing is behind the door. sort of emptying the storehouses.
I am italian, you know how italians are seen in the world, and let me say that this is a pretty italian way to act, exploiting the situation the most, we call it 'squeezing to the bone' :)
Satiropan
Spectre660

Post by Spectre660 »

@Satiropan

I am sure that if you were to buy a beer for each person who contributed to AmigaOS 4.1 Final edition and get a free copy your bill
would be more than 30 Euros.
Sam460ex : Radeon Rx550 Single slot Video Card : SIL3112 SATA card