AmigaOS 4.1 final edition?

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Raziel

Re: AmigaOS 4.1 final edition?

Post by Raziel »

OS4.2 or whatever is called is ready to come out, so just let us get some more money selling the 4.1 final at a low price, let's shake amigans pockets once more and get whatever comes out, then we will sell 4.2 at regular price.

I understand that these people have to be paied for their work, but I feel this offer is just a way to get more money. they just could put the OS4.2 out and sell it now, but in this way they make more money selling a thing that is destined to end, when the newest and better thing is behind the door. sort of emptying the storehouses.
Oh?
Must have missed the announcement, care to share the links where you got that statements from?
I am italian, you know how italians are seen in the world, and let me say that this is a pretty italian way to act, exploiting the situation the most, we call it 'squeezing to the bone' :)
The rest of the world still calls it "Nagging"...
The only thing you're "exploiting" is your personal stance against the future way of providing AmigaOS4 updates.

I'll go with what others have already said...if you don't like it, leave it...

You can always enjoy what you have now (AmigaOS4.1 upd6, i guess)
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
Hans-Joerg Frieden
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Hans-Joerg Frieden »

then, why not just keep offering free updates with amiupdate? or offering the updates to be downloaded as an .iso image, free for registered users, as it was before?
Because it costs money to pay someone to work on AmigaOS, and we got to make a living off something? The last time we asked money was 2008, so what is your point?
I understand that these people have to be paied for their work, but I feel this offer is just a way to get more money. they just could put the OS4.2 out and sell it now, but in this way they make more money selling a thing that is destined to end, when the newest and better thing is behind the door. sort of emptying the storehouses.
Obviously you do not understand. I have no idea what makes you think that 4.2 is around the corner, because it isn't.
I am italian, you know how italians are seen in the world, and let me say that this is a pretty italian way to act, exploiting the situation the most, we call it 'squeezing to the bone' :)
This might be an explanation why you would believe this bull crap, but we're not Italian (not that it would have anything to do with it). If you don't like the offer, here's some advice: Don't buy it. Simple, huh? More free updates were and are not planned, there is a limit in how far we can stretch. Lots of money? Give me a break, it didn't even cover the costs. Get some reality checks done before you accuse others of a shakedown. Buy it or not, but spare everyone your whining.
NOTICE: If you want to contact me, use E-Mail. I cannot be contacted via the forum/private messages anymore
RobMattin

Post by RobMattin »

satiropan wrote:
Not sure what you are trying to imply here. The price of 4.1 Final Edition was reduced only because the update is not as big as some users may have hoped for (no Gallium or SMP yet for instance)
then, why not just keep offering free updates with amiupdate? or offering the updates to be downloaded as an .iso image, free for registered users, as it was before?
this makes me think of the squeeze:
OS4.2 or whatever is called is ready to come out, so just let us get some more money selling the 4.1 final at a low price, let's shake amigans pockets once more and get whatever comes out, then we will sell 4.2 at regular price.

Like Hans-Joerg said, OS4.2 isn't coming anytime soon and you don't have to buy FE if you don't feel it is value for money. It's also worth noting that new users are getting the OS for much lower price than before so they're certainly not being squeezed.
satiropan

Post by satiropan »

Lots of money? Give me a break, it didn't even cover the costs. Get some reality checks done before you accuse others of a shakedown. Buy it or not, but spare everyone your whining.
well, we actually don't know the real costs, how many CDs were printed, how many were sold, how many were given bundled with motherboards, etc.
it would be nice to know, since we are now in 2014 and the world is asking transparency at every level
Satiropan
PPA1200 (Poor Portable Amiga 1200): BPPC-160MB,
BVision-CGX4, HD 10GB, slim DVD R/W, Asus VW161D
display, 3COM Lan PC card, OS4.1FE
AmigaOne G3-SE 600MHz, 1GB, Radeon 9200 128DDR,
CS4281 sound card, RTL8029, SiI3114, OS 4.1.6 & OS4.1FE
http://www.oldfab.webs.com
Hans-Joerg Frieden
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by Hans-Joerg Frieden »

satiropan wrote:well, we actually don't know the real costs, how many CDs were printed, how many were sold, how many were given bundled with motherboards, etc.
You don't need to know, just do the math. Take a number, let's say we're optimistic and say 10000. Multiply that by the amount that Hyperion gets per copy, and divide by the number of years since the last paid update. And then ask yourself, can any company survive on that budget alone?
it would be nice to know, since we are now in 2014 and the world is asking transparency at every level
Well, glass is pretty transparent, if the world needs transparency.
NOTICE: If you want to contact me, use E-Mail. I cannot be contacted via the forum/private messages anymore
amigasociety

Post by amigasociety »

I am Italian and happy to pay the $30 euro for 4.1FE.

I am also an X1000 owner..... and not bitching.... even though I am Italian.

Go figure.

TJ
Happy owner of several Amiga systems including:

AmigaOne X5000
Amiga A1222 Tabor
samo79

Post by samo79 »

I am Italian too and i have no problem, 30 euro is just nothing considering that the last time I had to pay to use AmigaOS4 was in 2009
SOFISTISOFTWARE

Post by SOFISTISOFTWARE »

I'm italian as well and I'd like to spend more than 30 eur if we'll have more features like gallium or at least a decent 3D support and a complete 2D driver with GPU decoder support for videos, a stable and more compatible USB system, etc. but we know it's Amiga world and we must be satisfied in this manner.... and if there's anyone who don't want to pay 30 eur for the FE it's simple don't buy it !
Sam 460EX, 2Gb Ram, Radeon R7 250E, OS4.1 FE
satiropan

Post by satiropan »

I'm italian and I will buy this final in the classic version, just to enjoy my ppa1200 with the 4.1
but, WTF, can't I complain how the Amiga world has gone and it's still going from the AGA times? :)
Satiropan
PPA1200 (Poor Portable Amiga 1200): BPPC-160MB,
BVision-CGX4, HD 10GB, slim DVD R/W, Asus VW161D
display, 3COM Lan PC card, OS4.1FE
AmigaOne G3-SE 600MHz, 1GB, Radeon 9200 128DDR,
CS4281 sound card, RTL8029, SiI3114, OS 4.1.6 & OS4.1FE
http://www.oldfab.webs.com
trixie

Post by trixie »

@satiropan
can't I complain how the Amiga world has gone and it's still going from the AGA times?
You can, but this is not the best place to do it. Around here we tend to focus on particular problems, features, shortcomings and user experience of the operating system. But you challenged a vendor's sales policy - and people on a support forum can hardly help you with that.
The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition