JxFileSystem Metadata problems?

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Belxjander

JxFileSystem Metadata problems?

Post by Belxjander »

I've just spent an unproductive night walking through 400GB of data stored on a 465GB JXFS partition to find that it is losing metadata information for some files and not others.

I was lucky in that I have two SATA 500GB disks to abuse for this however has anyone else run into this?

as the previous Workspace: volume was a single JXFS partition to the size of the disk, I was filling it with anything of interest from online sources in addition to my own materials...

it only appeared to start having metadata issues around the 400GB of 465GB usage mark.
I'm writing this having lost a nights sleep dealing with it.

and so far all the partitions problems appear metadata related.

During recovery I did see Sashimi get spammed heavilly by the JXFS having some trapnum issue about dos segments.
and several lockups that were non repeating when accessing the same section of the filesystem after a reset.

I suspect a power loss or instability as this occurred after my return home when checking to see if somethingI had bookmarked was still opened in TimberWolf
joerg

Re: JxFileSystem Metadata problems?

Post by joerg »

Belxjander wrote:I was lucky in that I have two SATA 500GB disks to abuse for this however has anyone else run into this?
JXFS doesn't work, use another file system.
Belxjander

Post by Belxjander »

joerg wrote:
Belxjander wrote:I was lucky in that I have two SATA 500GB disks to abuse for this however has anyone else run into this?
JXFS doesn't work, use another file system.
I switched over to SFS/02 on the drive I copied everything to.

JXFS seems best suited to DataCache operations as all of the files hit appear to be long-term stored...

A FileSystem that forgets anything older than 18 months? or at least any metadata protection bits and comments?

short-term cache and temporary folders seem unaffected
Creols

Post by Creols »

Could you tell us what is your hardware config ?

Creols
AmigaOne XE, µA1, Sam 440ep, Sam Flex 800 MHz, Sam 460 ex, X1000 and more...
joerg

Post by joerg »

Belxjander wrote:JXFS seems best suited to DataCache operations as all of the files hit appear to be long-term stored...
Just more time and a higher probability for the bugs in JXFS to destroy the data.
chris

Post by chris »

joerg wrote:JXFS doesn't work, use another file system.
This sounds worrying. Why hasn't there been a fix or at least an announcement to tell people not to use it?
sundown
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by sundown »

chris wrote:
joerg wrote:JXFS doesn't work, use another file system.
This sounds worrying. Why hasn't there been a fix or at least an announcement to tell people not to use it?
There were warnings posted on the forums, ppl reported loosing whole partitions using JXFS. People don't listen if they have no problems, until it's too late.
X1000 - Antec Solo case, 4GB DDR2 mem, XFX R9 270 gfx card, Plextor DVD, 2 Samsung 1TB F3 HDD, RTL-8139 network card, Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W PSU
Severin
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Severin »

@chris

I'll confirm what sundown said, I was one who lost a full 600gb partition to a simple checksum error amoungst other lost partitions. I warned people not to use it but was ignored or repeatedly told jxfs is totally safe by those that never had a problem.

If any of you ever bothered to read the docs you will have seen a warning that it's a beta release and not to store important data on it because of the risk of loss.

if ANYONE has a JXFS partition back it up format it as SFS and restore or be prepared to lose all your data in the future. Your choice, don't complain when it happens.
Belxjander

Post by Belxjander »

@jeorg: that is why I am saying to only use it for Caching and little else.

The main point of issue is behavioural... JXFS being journalled will hammer the metadata on resetting file metadata during interrupted writes where a powerloss occurs.

I hit several errors from that including a checksum error,

the files affected were all downloads copied from my tablet so I was relatively lucky.

Beyond that the SFS2 partition I was using for Work was toasted in it's entirety...

I had a powerloss happen, checked the sata cables and found two were declamping the 90degree connector end

a change of cable let me relocate a new copy of my workbench, and I have been rebuilding Work from there.
chris

Post by chris »

I'll confirm what sundown said, I was one who lost a full 600gb partition to a simple checksum error amoungst other lost partitions. I warned people not to use it but was ignored or repeatedly told jxfs is totally safe by those that never had a problem.
OK, first I've heard of it and I've been using JXFS for years. If there were big warnings posted to not use it (Joerg's message certainly got my attention despite the lack of detail) I think I would have remembered.
If any of you ever bothered to read the docs you will have seen a warning that it's a beta release and not to store important data on it because of the risk of loss.
Why has a beta been released as part of the OS? Is that not what the OS4 beta-testers are for? Why did the OS4.1 quick install guide not warn of this?
if ANYONE has a JXFS partition back it up format it as SFS and restore or be prepared to lose all your data in the future. Your choice, don't complain when it happens.