Do I have the latest "<whatever>"?

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
ggw

Do I have the latest "<whatever>"?

Post by ggw »

Lately, some posts have been lax about requirements for software mentioned. Those particular ones say words like "the latest <whatever> is required".

I am content to let AmiUpdate keep me up to date. So.
1) How do I know if a particular piece of software has AmiUpdate support?
2) Is there a way to be assured where an AmiUpdate supported code is ending up?
George Wyche
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Do I have the latest "<whatever>"?

Post by nbache »

You can check the log.

Set the path to a permanent location, and set the Verbose checkmark (both found on the last tab of the Updates prefs).

Then do a scan with Amiupdate.

In the resulting log, you will see entries like this one (for software you already have installed):

Code: Select all

23:32:35       Now checking: A52Lib...
23:32:35         Version string determined by $VER search method
23:32:35         local file: libs:avcodecs/a52.codec 52.2 (1.5.2007)
23:32:35         remote file: A52Lib 52.2 (2007-05-01)
and other entries like this (for software you don't have):

Code: Select all

23:32:35       Now checking: AmiChess...
23:32:35         'ENV:AppPaths/AmiChess' not found, download from: http://www.mirime.de/Michael/Files/AmiChess.lha
These answer most of the above, except for where software will install (if you don't already have a version installed).

For that, you could let AmiUpdate fetch the archive without installing it (remove the checkmark on the top of the third tab page in the prefs, or simply use Right Amiga+A for temporary dis-/enabling installation), and then examine the saved archive and its AutoInstall script yourself. You'd also need to check the Keep downloaded archives checkbox on the first tab page, of course.

Best regards,

Niels
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

ggw wrote:How do I know if a particular piece of software has AmiUpdate support?
You can't really know. Plus there are multiple AmiUpdate databases.

For AmigaOS components, there is an update report available at http://update.amigaos.net which you can compare against your OS if you wish (although that is AmiUpdate's job).
ExecSG Team Lead
ggw

Post by ggw »

nbache wrote:You can check the log.
xx-snip-xx These answer most of the above, except for where software will install (if you don't already have a version installed).

For that, you could let AmiUpdate fetch the archive without installing it (remove the checkmark on the top of the third tab page in the prefs, or simply use Right Amiga+A for temporary dis-/enabling installation), and then examine the saved archive and its AutoInstall script yourself. You'd also need to check the Keep downloaded archives checkbox on the first tab page, of course.

Best regards,

Niels
Hi Niels,

Thanks to you and ssolie for attention. I was asking about "where" as a definitely worrisome thing. The worry I do have is because a couple years I *did* have iBrowse in 2 places and somehow I ended up using the one (or maybe it was tunenet?) that was NOT being updated. Heck, I was so trusting of the AmiUpdate process then I never realized it was happening to me. It might have safeguards now. I mean I don't purposefully run the same program from more than one place!

Anyway, I'll write a short script whose 1st task is to be definitive about whether task "A" (that I do use) is handled by AmiUpdate or not.
Future capabilities will have to come later and run as a background task, sort of like backup.

Unless you know of a "rotate log" service provided by OS4.1+, I'm going to go search AmiNet for such a thing. I wrote one several years ago at work, and it has worked flawlessly on a daily basis, but.. THAT work does belong to my employer, even if it was written in a scripting language and is but a utilitiy subroutine.

Anyway, Thanks,
George Wyche
George Wyche
Amigo1

Post by Amigo1 »

nbache wrote:You can check the log.

Best regards,

Niels
Out of curiosity I checked the log in my system and I noticed AmiUpdate appears not to find the Dockies I installed to a different location instead of the "default" one. All the Dokies which do not come with the OS are in "Work:Utilities/Dockies" instead of "SYS:Utilities/Dockies". Mainly I chose a different location to have it easier when the OS needs a fresh install after a major upgrade.
Anyway, the files in "Appdir" and "AppPaths" point to the right location (Work:Utilities/Dockies) so is AmiUpdate checking them or not?

Two examples, but the log looks like this for many apps and Dockies I definitively have installed:

23:30:40 Now checking: DiskLED_Docky...
23:30:40 'SYS:Utilities/Dockies/DiskLED.docky' not found, download from: http://strohmayer.org/files/DiskLED.docky_53.1_AU.lha
23:30:40 Now checking: Digital_Universe...
23:30:40 'DUOS4:DigitalUniverse' not found, download from: http://www.digitaluniverse.org.uk/insta ... update.lha
joerg

Post by joerg »

Amigo1 wrote:Anyway, the files in "Appdir" and "AppPaths" point to the right location (Work:Utilities/Dockies) so is AmiUpdate checking them or not?
AmiUpdate uses the paths the developers have put into the AmiUpdate database and which is displayed in the log file.
Two examples, but the log looks like this for many apps and Dockies I definitively have installed:

23:30:40 'SYS:Utilities/Dockies/DiskLED.docky' not found, download from: http://strohmayer.org/files/DiskLED.docky_53.1_AU.lha
I could change the path for DiskLED.docky to AppDir:, but since AppDir: is only supported in the current AmigaOS 4.1 versions it would no longer work for AmigaOS 4.0 users, IIRC DiskLED.docky still works on AmigaOS 4.0.

Since you have the same problem with other Dockies as well you could use "Assign SYS: Work: Add" instead, that way AmiUpdate should find all your Dockies.
javierdlr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by javierdlr »

Amigo1 wrote:...
Out of curiosity I checked the log in my system and I noticed AmiUpdate appears not to find the Dockies I installed to a different location instead of the "default" one. All the Dokies which do not come with the OS are in "Work:Utilities/Dockies" instead of "SYS:Utilities/Dockies". Mainly I chose a different location to have it easier when the OS needs a fresh install after a major upgrade.
Anyway, the files in "Appdir" and "AppPaths" point to the right location (Work:Utilities/Dockies) so is AmiUpdate checking them or not?
You can use 'Add Mapping...' / 'Manage Mappings...' menu options from AmiUpdate to tell where you have those dockies (or whatever software is not in "usual" location/path)
Amigo1

Post by Amigo1 »

javierdlr wrote:
You can use 'Add Mapping...' / 'Manage Mappings...' menu options from AmiUpdate to tell where you have those dockies (or whatever software is not in "usual" location/path)
Mmmh.. thanks for the suggestion. However, I can't seem to be able to add anything to the "Mapping Manager". I tried with drag and dropping since the "Add" button is ghosted, but it does not work either.
Amigo1

Post by Amigo1 »

joerg wrote:
Amigo1 wrote:Anyway, the files in "Appdir" and "AppPaths" point to the right location (Work:Utilities/Dockies) so is AmiUpdate checking them or not?
AmiUpdate uses the paths the developers have put into the AmiUpdate database and which is displayed in the log file.

I could change the path for DiskLED.docky to AppDir:, but since AppDir: is only supported in the current AmigaOS 4.1 versions it would no longer work for AmigaOS 4.0 users, IIRC DiskLED.docky still works on AmigaOS 4.0.

Since you have the same problem with other Dockies as well you could use "Assign SYS: Work: Add" instead, that way AmiUpdate should find all your Dockies.
I will, but maybe it's not the proper way to address this. Or it should be mentioned somewhere that most dockies should not be installed where the user wants them, but only in SYS:Utilities/dockies in order to have the update mechanism to work correctly.
javierdlr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by javierdlr »

Mmmh.. thanks for the suggestion. However, I can't seem to be able to add anything to the "Mapping Manager". I tried with drag and dropping since the "Add" button is ghosted, but it does not work either.
IIRC select/mark entry in AmiUpdate listbrowser and choose 'ADD MAPPING' from menu, after that you can manage the new mapping with 'MANAGE MAPPINGS'.