filesysbox ntfs ubs massStorage problem

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
salass00
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: filesysbox ntfs ubs massStorage problem

Post by salass00 »

zzd10h wrote: Salass00, is it normal that NTFS was case sensitive ?
Yes, it is unfortunately how ntfs-3g works. You can build a special version of ntfs-3g called lowntfs-3g which has an ignore_case option but this also means that all file names are listed as lower case.

Quoting from SYS:Documentation/NTFileSystem3G/ntfs-3g.html
ignore_case (only with lowntfs-3g)
Ignore character case when accessing a file (FOO, Foo, foo, etc. designate the same file). All files are displayed with lower case in directory listings.
zzd10h

Post by zzd10h »

Ah, sad.

Is it only my FastView who is impacted by this "feature" ?

But, if the problem is only with the catalog, I will rename the drawer as AOS expect it and it will be enough.

Thank you
http://apps.amistore.net/zTools
X1000 - AmigaOS 4.1.6 / 4.1 FE
SOFISTISOFTWARE

Post by SOFISTISOFTWARE »

salass00 wrote:
zzd10h wrote: Salass00, is it normal that NTFS was case sensitive ?
Yes, it is unfortunately how ntfs-3g works. You can build a special version of ntfs-3g called lowntfs-3g which has an ignore_case option but this also means that all file names are listed as lower case.

Quoting from SYS:Documentation/NTFileSystem3G/ntfs-3g.html
ignore_case (only with lowntfs-3g)
Ignore character case when accessing a file (FOO, Foo, foo, etc. designate the same file). All files are displayed with lower case in directory listings.

...but the problem with USB MassStorage Prefs remains the same, try to open AmigaAmp playing a song on your external usb HD ntfs, in the meantime it plays the song type CTRL+ALT+M play with it to close-open-close-open and soon or late the system crash...
Sam 460EX, 2Gb Ram, Radeon R7 250E, OS4.1 FE
salass00
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by salass00 »

SOFISTISOFTWARE wrote: ...but the problem with USB MassStorage Prefs remains the same, try to open AmigaAmp playing a song on your external usb HD ntfs, in the meantime it plays the song type CTRL+ALT+M play with it to close-open-close-open and soon or late the system crash...
In addition to what you write each time the MassStorage GUI is closed and reopened it gets bigger by the same size as it's respective window borders.

I'd also like to add that it's not directly related to either AmigaAmp or NTFS3G as I was able to get crashes with TuneNet and a FAT32 USB harddrive too. Crash was not on opening or closing the MassStorage GUI but on trying to browse with a file requester afterwards which causes a hard freeze with no useful information on the serial cable.

BTW there was no need to quote my post in it's entirety just to add this which has nothing to do with what I wrote there.
salass00
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by salass00 »

salass00 wrote: I'd also like to add that it's not directly related to either AmigaAmp or NTFS3G as I was able to get crashes with TuneNet and a FAT32 USB harddrive too. Crash was not on opening or closing the MassStorage GUI but on trying to browse with a file requester afterwards which causes a hard freeze with no useful information on the serial cable.
Just managed to reproduce it with UnArc instead of TuneNet (FAT32 partition again) so it's not audio related either, so whatever the bug is it's most likely in the massstorage driver.

Edit:
The reason it didn't crash immediately on MassStorage GUI open/close was probably because the music files I tried playing weren't streamed from the USB disk.
SOFISTISOFTWARE

Who is the maintainer of massstorage driver and its gui ?

p.s. in the meantime i discovered the crash of FastView with NTFS isn't related with filesysbox/ntfs because it's the same on jfx partition, the problem was the number of the files in the directory, fastview worked only up to 274 files, now it seems to be resolved by Guillame (i've to test it) but the case sensitive issue was there indeed
ssolie
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ssolie »

SOFISTISOFTWARE wrote:Who is the maintainer of massstorage driver and its gui ?
No offense but I really don't see how that information would be helpful to you in any way.

Just describe the bug as best you can and we'll see what we can do to fix it.
ExecSG Team Lead
SOFISTISOFTWARE

ssolie wrote:
SOFISTISOFTWARE wrote:Who is the maintainer of massstorage driver and its gui ?
No offense but I really don't see how that information would be helpful to you in any way.

Just describe the bug as best you can and we'll see what we can do to fix it.
i asked that only to contact the author/maintainer, i don't care to know him but i'd like to see the bug fixed

thanks
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

SOFISTISOFTWARE wrote:i asked that only to contact the author/maintainer, i don't care to know him but i'd like to see the bug fixed
Massstorage, both the driver and the GUI, are parts of the OS itself, so - as Steven says - you are already in contact with the correct place, the AmigaOS Support forum.

Best regards,

Niels
SOFISTISOFTWARE

nbache wrote:
SOFISTISOFTWARE wrote:i asked that only to contact the author/maintainer, i don't care to know him but i'd like to see the bug fixed
Massstorage, both the driver and the GUI, are parts of the OS itself, so - as Steven says - you are already in contact with the correct place, the AmigaOS Support forum.

Best regards,

Niels

ok thanks