How to get/read ethernet settings?

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Reth
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

How to get/read ethernet settings?

Post by Reth »

Hi everybody,

due to our network setup at home I have to connect my Peg2 AOS4 (latest beta) as well as my A4000 AOS4 to a WIFI repeater (Fritzbox 7320) which itself is connected to our DSL-WIFI-Router (Fritzbox 7270).
The previous setup was a 7170 as WIFI-Repeater connected to the 7270 but since the 7170 is no longer supported I could not upgrade it to latest AVM firmware (also 7270 could not be upgraded since otherwise it would install a newer version of the WIFI-repeating software which cannot be handled by 7170 anymore). Hence I was forced to setup the 7320 as a WIFI-Repeater.

Unfortunately the Peg2 (and I assume also the A4000) cannot setup a ethernet connection to the 7320, regardless whether the box is running its ports in GBit-Mode or 100MBit-Mode. Both ethernet LEDs (orange one and green one) on Peg2 are blinking regularly simultaneously. So I have to put the 7170 as ethernet-hub between the Peg2 and the 7320 (which should not be necessary and should be completely needles - wastes place and power)! With this setup things are working again.

Now I'm in contact with AVM (manufacturer of Fritzboxes) customer support for weeks now regarding this problem and they now want to know which kind of network cards I'm using and how they are set up in the OS! The network chips I can provide but I do not have any clue how to get the ethernet settings like full-/half-duplex, 10MBit/100MBit and whatever else can be adjusted. None of the network/netinterface related commands in C: could show me some helpful information (at least I could not get any out of them). The same goes for Ranger and PRefs/Internet-GUI (including interface settings). I checked the via-rhine.device file and recognized that it is capable to cope with these parameters. But how can I find out how the ethernet settings are configured within AOS4?
The AVM customer support knows about the Peg2 and A4000 since I always mentioned them as well as emphasizing that they are not "normal out of the Box Windows-/Linux-/Max-machines"!

Anybody here has any idea on how to get these settings visible or what can be tried/done that ethernet connection between Peg2 AOS4 and Fritzbox 7320 will work?

Many thanks in advance!

Bye
mlehto

Re: How to get/read ethernet settings?

Post by mlehto »

Best adwise is, that you should contact roadshow maintainer directly :)

Network card and network device try to autonegotiate speed allways these days. It seems to fail. Green = 100 mbs,orange 10 mbs. Full/half is allso autonegotiate thing, wich no one should alter manually. Sophisticated devices alter them automatically, when there is network problems.

Rare Amiga or not, I would blame ISP about nonstandard device software...

Tested here. It seems that peg2 viarhine cant or doesnt handshake with other end before roadshow start. So no own rom or something like that (?) OF seems to be dead end allso. No interface at least in manual to networking.

With roadshowcontrol there is some limited hope. While still I believe, that handshake fails in hw-level.

With my limited knowledge there is some variation in MTU, wich may affect. Jumboframes are everything over 1500.

And I think that it is this in roadshow: tcp.mssdflt = 1460

I should try to set jumboframes off from network device.

I played roadshow settings years ago, so dont remember all exactly.

But it seems, that everything fails before tcp protocol is up, so in roadshowcontrol there is little to do, if nothing, I think.

All icmp settings are absolutely out.

These I may try to adjust:

ip.defttl
Controls the default time-to-live value of IP packets
generated.

tcp.do_rfc1323
Controls whether or not the TCP extensions for high
performance (RFC1323) should be enabled or not.
Specifically, this covers round trip time measurement
and the TCP window scale option.
This can be 1 (enable) or 0 (disable).

tcp.do_timestamps
Controls whether or not the round trip time measurement
feature should be enabled if the tcp.do_rfc1323 option
is enabled.

tcp.do_win_scale
Controls whether or not the TCP window scale option
should be enabled if the tcp.do_rfc1323 option
is enabled.

tcp.mssdflt
Controls the default TCP maximum segment size value.

tcp.rttdflt
Controls the default TCP retransmit time value.

tcp.use_mssdflt_for_remote
Controls if the TCP protocol should use a smaller
maximum segment size value for packets sent to
hosts which are not in the local network.
This can be 1 (yes) or 0 (no).

Here is my vanilla settings:

bpf.bufsize = 4096
icmp.maskrepl = 0
icmp.processecho = 0
icmp.procesststamp = 0
ip.defttl = 64
ip.forwarding = 0
ip.sendredirects = 1
ip.subnetsarelocal = 0
tcp.do_rfc1323 = 1
tcp.do_timestamps = 0
tcp.do_win_scale = 0
tcp.mssdflt = 1460
tcp.recvspace = 65536
tcp.rttdflt = 3
tcp.sendspace = 32768
tcp.use_mssdflt_for_remote = 0
udp.cksum = 1
udp.recvspace = 41600
udp.sendspace = 9216
task.controller.priority = 0
Reth
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Reth »

Thanks for this detailed description. But I do not think RoadShow might be of any help here since the blinking of both LEDs at Peg2 starts immediatelly after I power it on (missed that on my initial post) so even before the Peg2-Firmware finishes initialisation (at least for my recognition) and way before AOS4 firmware is even loaded!

So I also assume it's a problem on the 7320-side but well this will be a hard task to get it solved (honestly I do not believe in that)! Even more since the Win-Vista laptop happily communicates with the 7320 via ethernet whenever I connect it!
mlehto

Post by mlehto »

Intresting still, in here all leds are on steady from start to point, where roadshow initiliaze network. So it looks like there is nothing going on before. It just happens without any blinking then, when everything goes well.

Yep, problem is hardware thing.

Firmware is probably hacked to work and tested with widespread devices. Not very uncommon. They repair it in future or then not.

You can still try to switch jumboframes off from device, if possible. To my knowledge it may not be used in init, but one never knows, how it is handled. Remotelly may help.