Copy in shell acting funny....

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
amigaonefan

Copy in shell acting funny....

Post by amigaonefan »

Just noticed that when I do a copy from one drive partition to another, such as:

copy aos4: AOSA: all

I get dozens of messages first that show something like "unable to open AOSA:" and then the copy finally happens after a couple of seconds of these messages.
My target device is always a SATA drive partition on a 3114 card. My system is a micro a1 with 512M of RAM.
This does not happen for EVERY partition. I am using SFS\00 and SFS\02 as my target partitions. Do both SFS\00 and SFS\02 need to be block size 512?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Rigo
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: Copy in shell acting funny....

Post by Rigo »

Check your user-startup and startup-sequence scripts in S: and make sure there is no assign to that device...

Simon
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Certainly all SFS partitions must be ONLY 512 byte block size. However, I can't see that being the cause of the messages.

It might be interesting to type "info devices" and/or "assigns" AFTER the copy, to verify that the target is where you think it is.
cheers
tony
amigaonefan

Post by amigaonefan »

I have never before seen this until I began using an SSD drive. Could that have anything to do with it?

The exact error is this: "Can't open "Play2s:" for output - COPY: object is in use. Play2s: is my destination partition, it does not exist anywhere else. It is not assigned in startup-sequence or user-startup. It happens not just with that partition, but with almost any partition I copy to.

I will get many of these (perhaps dozens or hundreds) and then the files start copying normally.

Scott
ZeroG

Post by ZeroG »

Could there be a link to "Play2s:" ?
mlehto

Post by mlehto »

Same here.

After my jxfs partition ruined, I revertred yesterday to SFS2.

I backed up my work and data and then I changed partitions and formatted them.

Loads of strange errors firs, then it seemed to start copying as normal...

It seems that everything is not opied to destination. My destination is ssd allso. It may not affet, since it is just sata. May not.

So far

Work (source) 160 180 files, 22 904 drawers
Work (destination) 159 243 files, 22824 drawers

Data (source) 187 165 files, 28 848 drawers
Data (destination) 186 803 files, 28 847 drawers

Im seenthese inconsistency everywhere before, in windows, mac and linux, where they tends to fail systemically. Not in Amiga though, but not very often tested either.

ATM I suspect user-failure :)

I ran copying back like next

copy backup:work\#? work: clone all
copy backup:data\#? data: clone all

Worked ever before.

I have programs in dock, wich are in work:
I have assignsto work: in user-startup

I dont have anything wich points to data: anywhere.

I start now compare results drawer by drawer...
amigaonefan wrote:I have never before seen this until I began using an SSD drive. Could that have anything to do with it?

The exact error is this: "Can't open "Play2s:" for output - COPY: object is in use. Play2s: is my destination partition, it does not exist anywhere else. It is not assigned in startup-sequence or user-startup. It happens not just with that partition, but with almost any partition I copy to.

I will get many of these (perhaps dozens or hundreds) and then the files start copying normally.

Scott
mlehto

Post by mlehto »

Uh, difference in amount of files/dirs was because of .recycled drawer, wich wasnt copied to dest.

And uncopied links.

Usererror.

@amigaonefan

After boot I han just two nondos partition instead of work: and data:

In some point I got tired to click requesters, where OS ask where is Work: ... I made assign to somewhere...

I tried to replicate it by formatting work/data again and copying everything back.

Cant actually duplicate, I made it so wrong that I cant make it again :D

So I think that Rigo is right with my errorsat least.I satisfied assign wrongly.
amigaonefan

Post by amigaonefan »

Rigo wrote:Check your user-startup and startup-sequence scripts in S: and make sure there is no assign to that device...

Simon
Why would having an assign to a directory I am copying to another partition make a difference? To say it another way, this is a relatively new behavior that I have never seen before, whether or not my source partition or subdirectories had assigns to them. So is OS4.1 now making links when assigns are created?