New monitor modes: Tooltypes vs Picasso96Mode

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
themamboman

New monitor modes: Tooltypes vs Picasso96Mode

Post by themamboman »

Hello all,

Is there a preferred way to add new monitor modes in OS4.1u6?

I had some issues a while ago getting my Eyetech A1XE with Radeon 9000 pro to work after installation. I finally got around it by replacing the "Radeon 9000 (and the info file) in DEVS:Monitors with the one from the install disc called just "Radeon" and the screenmode.prefs from the CD.

So, I can get into Workbench now, but the screenmode capped at 1024x768 in that case. I have a 24" Samsung 245b capable of 1920x1200@60 so I wanted to use this. Adding another mode line in the monitor tooltype with that caused the machine to go black when booted and I had to back out that change by booting from CD (admittedly, other changes were going on so I need to go back and revisit just this one change).

So, I thought I would try using Picasso96Mode to define a new mode. I've always disliked this program but have used it several times in the past so I'm familiar with it. The only way I could get 1920x1200 to work (at any color depth) would be to have interlacing turned on. This causes some terrible flicker. Turning it off causes the monitor to go blank on standard settings. Playing with the pixel clock to make sure it is set to 60Hz vertical still results in blank screen. Only standard settngs with interlacing produces anything.

The only 2 modes on the tooltypes were 800x600 and 1024x768.

Any suggestions on how to get 1920x1200 with no interlacing flicker?

Thanks!
ZeroG

Re: New monitor modes: Tooltypes vs Picasso96Mode

Post by ZeroG »

Is there a preferred way to add new monitor modes in OS4.1u6?
Yes, use SYS:Prefs/ScreenMode
Adding another mode line in the monitor tooltype
Did you add +RB?

MODE=1920x1200@60+RB
A3000T
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: New monitor modes: Tooltypes vs Picasso96Mode

Post by A3000T »

themamboman wrote: Is there a preferred way to add new monitor modes in OS4.1u6?
Like ZeroG said, use the ScreenMode preferences. On the Monitors tab, there is a button to add new screenmodes (see attached picture). You may need to change the type of reduced blanking to get some screenmodes to work. I had to add +RB to the 1920x1200 screenmode, but your monitor may need different settings.
Attachments
screenmodeprefs.png
screenmodeprefs.png (182.35 KiB) Viewed 2251 times