WarpOS emulation bugs

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
phx

WarpOS emulation bugs

Post by phx »

I'm not sure about the status and the future of the WarpOS emulation in OS4, but maybe you want to check this:

I was sent a small 68k example program, which calls a PPC function via powerpc.library RunPPC(). It works fine with the original kernel, while it is causing a Grim Reaper under OS4.1.

After some debugging I found out that the top level function, called by RunPPC(), is saving some of its arguments in the Parameter Save Area, beginning at offset 24 of the callers PowerOpen-ABI stack frame. Could it be that the initial stack frame created by RunPPC() is not big enough to hold the Parameter Save Area? A PowerOpen stack frame should always be at least 64 bytes because of that. Otherwise the called function might overwrite important data in the callers stack.

The WarpOS emulation under MorphOS seems to have the same problem. Just the original kernel behaves correctly.

Another potential problem you might want to check is whether PP_Regs[8..14] are still copied into their default registers, even when the PPF_LINEAR flag is set to map PP_Regs[0..7] to r3..r10.
phx

Re: WarpOS emulation bugs

Post by phx »

I just read that the team is working on update 4.
Were these WarpOS emulation bugs already considered? They are certainly easy to fix.
kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by kas1e »

@phx
As far as i understand, warpos emulation was kind of "un-official 3d party inlude", done by Joerg Strohmayer. And since then, it was abandoned as something not worth of updating and bug-fixing (or maybe just puttin at hold). And so, the powerpc.library are untouched for latest time at all , and all the reported warpos bugs and problems going to nowhere. Imho chances that it never will be updated and fixed are high as well. Because of that will be cool if someone skilled enough will try to contact with Joerg and ask him for sources of warpos os4's wrapper, but, imho better just to make a new, open-source version from scratch (which imho the best way will be in end).

Many scene-demos do not works with current powerpc.library/warp3dppc.library from warpos-emu, as well as games , when they use warp3d. But i think that all can be fixable and workorounded, if one will be in interest :)
phx

Post by phx »

Ok, good to know. I wasn't sure about the official status.
samo79

Post by samo79 »

There is a reason why WarpOS application does not work correctly under AmigaOS4, Karlos try to explain that in detail

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/vie ... r=0#618026

Aniway some games seems to react differently from a system to another, for example WipeOut 2097 works fine under AmigaOne but always freeze or crash on Sam440 (almost if freeze on my Sam) and maybe also Heretic 2 may works (or not work) in the same manner

So a fix for that WarpOS's games/apps are pretty possible imho expecially after the introduction of Mesa/Gallium, but with a proper wrapper of course ..

Meanwhile would be cool to have all WarpOS games that already works fine (well the correct term is decently) on A1 the same on Sam and all the other OS4 capable machine aswell ...

Would be nice also to have alpha blending bug in WipeOut fixed in Warp3D !
Plz betatester around open a ticket for this !