Intuition.library 53.42 and menus

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
samo79

Intuition.library 53.42 and menus

Post by samo79 »

I just found a a little bug caused by the latest Intuition.library (version 53.42)

The problem is visible with AmiArcadia and might caused other similar issue elsewhere

If i right click with the mouse over the game area of AmiAracadia (so if i play with the menus) then various items of that menu will not be visible anymore until i manually move my mouse over the various items .. part of that menu will show in a black color ..

Most probably the issue is caused by the latest changes on the compositing engine added in latest version of the library, this one maybe:
- Compositing refresh updates are now done in sync with the vertical refresh rate to prevent tearing effects in animations
Infact if i turn off the compositing and then i restart AmiArcadia the issue is no more visible, just for further test i also rollback to the old version of the library and indeed there are no problem at all, with or without compositing

If you like to test just download AmiArcadia at: http://os4depot.net/index.php?function= ... rcadia.lha

- Then start the emulator and right click with the mouse inside the game area
- Then, for further test disable the compositing in Prefs and restart again the emulator --> open the menu as before
zzd10h

Re: Intuition.library 53.42 and menus

Post by zzd10h »

Hello Samo79,
I have done the tests on my HD6670 and Radeon9250 with and without Compositing (it's in Prefs/GUI/Effects, true ?).
I notice no problems in menu of AmiArcadia.

See attachment, I have the same Intuition library than you

See you ;)
zzd10h

edit : picture removed, too large
Last edited by zzd10h on Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://apps.amistore.net/zTools
X1000 - AmigaOS 4.1.6 / 4.1 FE
samo79

Post by samo79 »

@zzd10h

Thanks for the test :-)
I have done the tests on my HD6670 and Radeon9250 with and without Compositing (it's in Prefs/GUI/Effects, true ?).
Yes it's that
I notice no problems in menu of AmiArcadia.
Yep indeed, according to your grab all seems ok, just a thought: did you open the menu when the emulator is paused ?
I ask because problem happen only when the emulator is running, when paused all is fine even on my system

Maybe under X1000 the things are different ? .. i might need the same test from some other Sam440/460 users :roll:
zzd10h

Post by zzd10h »

You are welcome.

It works even in running mode
I do the same while Mobile Soldier "intro" is running, no menu problem.
http://apps.amistore.net/zTools
X1000 - AmigaOS 4.1.6 / 4.1 FE
samo79

Post by samo79 »

Ok, at this point i'm curious to see if the problem will be reproducible on other platform or not
Eroom

Post by Eroom »

samo79 wrote:Ok, at this point i'm curious to see if the problem will be reproducible on other platform or not
Its happening here as well, same effects as you and with compositing off the issue is gone.
But I can only get it to do it with AmiArcadia, ive run loads of other programs with no problem maybe its AmiArcadia at fault ?.
I'm running a sam460 with a radeon hd6570.
trixie

Post by trixie »

@samo79

How do you create and initialize your menus in AmiArcadia?
The Rear Window blog

AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
samo79

Post by samo79 »

@trixie

You should ask James for any technical question as he is the real author (i wrote for him because he can't reply on this forum)
The emulator is open source aniway, so eventually to check such menus all you needs is give a quick look at amiga.c file ...

Attached: http://www.sendspace.com/file/srhhbl

He say to me by mail: It's all done the by the standard GadTools way: the usual GetVisualInfo(), CreateMenus(), LayoutMenus() calls. (BTW this is how it has been done since AmiArcadia 1.0, and it's also the same method used by MCE, Report+, Worm Wars, Africa, Saga and CodeWar).

I revert back to the old Intuition.library and menu works as expected, with or without compositing

@Eroom

Thanks for the test ;)