Glitch playing between 2 NotePad instances

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
samo79

Glitch playing between 2 NotePad instances

Post by samo79 »

I don't know how many people work like that, but i often use 2 or more instance of NotePad at the same time, expecially when i translate Amiga programs or similar ..

When you work in this method is very common to have the need to copy, cut or paste various block of text between the 2 (or more) NotePad's windows .. however during my daily job I noticed that sometimes after copying/pasting or just after a cut in between (of a text from a notepad to another) the "Save" button become unselectable in almost one of the instance opened !

The strange thing is that even if a add/remove some more text from this NotePad window, the Save button still ghosted forever so i can't save anymore any text from it !

Of course it's not so easy to explain in a topic, it must be tested and retested to reach a proper testcase for a bug report, however i'm quite sure that somethings strange still ..

I use NotePad 53.10 (AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6)

Anyone noticed similar issue with NotePad ?
zzd10h

Re: Glitch playing between 2 NotePad instances

Post by zzd10h »

Yes, I noticed that too.
Not really often, but some times...

The solution, for me, is to copy the whole text and to paste it into a new Notepad instance.

But, me too, I don't know how to reproduce it ?
http://apps.amistore.net/zTools
X1000 - AmigaOS 4.1.6 / 4.1 FE
samo79

Post by samo79 »

@zd10h

Well, good so i'm not the only one, then for certain aspect this confirm that the problem is real and i'm not crazy :D
The solution, for me, is to copy the whole text and to paste it into a new Notepad instance.
Yep same solution also for me :roll:

Please betatesters around can you confirm/not confirm the issue ?
ChrisH
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by ChrisH »

samo79 wrote:Please betatesters around can you confirm/not confirm the issue ?
Please describe EXACTLY what you are doing. For example:
* I especially want to know whether you are clicking on the Cut/Copy/Paste buttons, or using the menu, or using keyboard shortcuts!
* Are you copying small or large blocks of text (or can it be any size that causes the problem)?
* Anything else you can think of?

Also, which version of Notepad & texteditor.gadget are you using? You can find both from the "Project > About" menu item.
samo79

Post by samo79 »

@ChrisH
* I especially want to know whether you are clicking on the Cut/Copy/Paste buttons, or using the menu, or using keyboard shortcuts!
Mmm must say that In general i use the keyboard for any copy/cut/paste operations in NotePad, so yes let's say: Keyboard
* Are you copying small or large blocks of text (or can it be any size that causes the problem)?
In general small blocks of text, you know usual operations during, (for example) a translation or a normal daily quick reminder .. so 1, 2, 3 rows not more .. not somethings special i mean :-)
* Anything else you can think of?
Not for now atleast, however all i can suggest is "try it" .. this one is the usual issue that isn't so immediately visible .. it's not like "do exactly that and that" and you will see .. it must be tryed for a while and then the problem will come
Also, which version of Notepad & texteditor.gadget are you using? You can find both from the "Project > About" menu item.
NotePad 53.10
texteditor.gadget 53.20
samo79

Post by samo79 »

After some test i think to have found the root, partially it can be reproduced also using one instance of NotePad.

One problem is related to the undo/redo functionality, this problem can be reproduced easily even with a single instance opened.

1 - Open NotePad
2 - Type some letters as you like, for example: ddsssss
3 - Now click the "Undo" button until you have cancelled all the text you wrote
4 - Now click the "Redo" button until you have again all the previews text cancelled

5 - At this point you should be able to "Undo" again and then Redo again and again (infinite), but you can't !

Both buttons (Undo and Redo) will be ghosted automatically when you are at point 5, that means you can't manage your text anymore .. this behaviour is not correct at all because as you have some text on NotePad you should always be able to turn undo/redo ... i did the same test under NoWinED and other similar program under Win/Mac and of course they permit to do that ..

The other one i think can be reproduced only if you have more than one NotePad opened (almost reproducible in case you will "exchange" text from an instance to another)

In this case also the "Save" button will be ghosted, however this one is a bit difficult to reproduce, I have to figure out how to do it .. let's see
kas1e
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by kas1e »

@samo79
5 - At this point you should be able to "Undo" again and then Redo again and again (infinite), but you can't !
Cleary bug, BZ 8269 done
The other one i think can be reproduced only if you have more than one NotePad opened
If you will find out the way to reproduce it and describe in the same nice way as you do for previous (i.e. 1 - open, 2 - type, 3- do , 4 - here is bug!) , then i will re-check and make a BZ for with no probs of course
chris

Post by chris »

I've seen something similar, but with the "save" button (and associated menu item). Sometimes it gets ghosted and won't unghost until "save as" is used.
I have absolutely no idea how to reproduce it though.
samo79

Post by samo79 »

kas1e wrote:If you will find out the way to reproduce it and describe in the same nice way as you do for previous (i.e. 1 - open, 2 - type, 3- do , 4 - here is bug!) , then i will re-check and make a BZ for with no probs of course
Not so easy to reproduce however similar problem with the Save functionality still for sure (as other report as you can see on this thread), actually i'm trying to figure out how to do, but again no route for now ...

Spasiba ;-)
chris wrote:I've seen something similar, but with the "save" button (and associated menu item). Sometimes it gets ghosted and won't unghost until "save as" is used.
I have absolutely no idea how to reproduce it though
I have the impression that the problem might be (more or less) the same of the Undo/Redo functionality bug reported above, only a bit more difficult to reproduce, maybe we can ask the author directly, he surely know how the routine is implemented
Amigo1

Post by Amigo1 »

@Kas1e
@Samo79
samo79 wrote:
kas1e wrote:If you will find out the way to reproduce it and describe in the same nice way as you do for previous (i.e. 1 - open, 2 - type, 3- do , 4 - here is bug!) , then i will re-check and make a BZ for with no probs of course
Not so easy to reproduce however similar problem with the Save functionality still for sure (as other report as you can see on this thread), actually i'm trying to figure out how to do, but again no route for now ...

Spasiba ;-)
chris wrote:I've seen something similar, but with the "save" button (and associated menu item). Sometimes it gets ghosted and won't unghost until "save as" is used.
I have absolutely no idea how to reproduce it though
I have the impression that the problem might be (more or less) the same of the Undo/Redo functionality bug reported above, only a bit more difficult to reproduce, maybe we can ask the author directly, he surely know how the routine is implemented
I found another strange behavior of undo/redo:

10 open Notepad
20 type "The quick brown fox crawled under the lazy dog"
30 RAmiga-M (select all); btw wouldn't the keyboard shortcut be consistent with Workbench's Window/Select contents if it was RAmiga-A instead?
40 RAmiga-C (copy)
50 SHIFT-Left Arrow (to go to the end of the line); a bit clumsy should go right to the last char by itself
60 Press Enter (new line)
70 RAMIGA-V (to paste)
80 Press the undo button twice (the cursor should be next to "dog")
90 Type SPACE "and cat"
100 Press Redo two times

the result I get here is:

the quick brown fox crawled under the lazy dog
the quick brown fox crawled under the lazy dog and cat

Is this intentional? Shouldn't Redo be ghosted after I typed " and the cat"?
I should add, the undo/redo buttons are ghosted after the last action, but "undoing" via Keyboard shortcut works.
If pressing the keyboard shortcut for Undo (RAMIGA-U) the buttons become clickable again, but the "Redo" shortcut (RAMIGA-Z) does not work. Actually it never works here.

edit: NotePad 53.10 and AmigaOne-XE system Up-to date to the latest Upates untill today (2013-02-24)