failure of update 5 SOLVED

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Paul Zager

failure of update 5 SOLVED

Post by Paul Zager »

I ran the update on my A1-XE. Reboot started. It got part way through then said it couldn't find 3dfxVoodo.chip and quit booting. Short of taking things apart and using my backup HD as the main HD, it looks like I'm in serious trouble.
Last edited by Paul Zager on Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frankenthousand, the monster A1000
A1-XE G4, 2GB, 9250
X5000/20
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: failure of update 5

Post by Slayer »

Lets get the obvious out of the way

You did install Update5 over a fresh installation of AmigaOS 4.1.4?

Did you notice anything strange or get any feedback that "something" had occured during the installation process?

Try booting up with your AmigaOS CDRom right up into the workbench option. Fire up DirOpus and get a listing of your Harddrive kickstart directory then locate the 3dfxVoodo.chip file on the CDRom and copy it over.

Another way would be to edit kicklayout in kickstart directory and put a ; infront of

MODULE Kickstart/3dfxVoodoo.chip

It seems a little strange what has happened here, either you've edited something which has carried on through or the update process hasn't detected something

See how you go anyway

I don't remember enough about the generic installation on the A1-XE even though I own one of these machines (been dead and in a box for many years now)
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

@Slayer:
...I own one of these machines (been dead and in a box for many years now).
Sorry to hear it. Who was that usurper I met a few months back using your name?

@Paul:

Do what Slayer's ghost suggested. I notice that the error message says "3dfxVoodo.chip". Is that really what it says? It is miss-spelled, it should be "3dfxVoodoo.chip". I wonder if you have a corrupted Kicklayout file?
cheers
tony
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Slayer »

I have been meaning to get it going but when it last packed a sad it was exactly the same time I got my first SAM and of course the rest is history. Perhaps once I've got my A4000 PPC back in action I'll take a look at the MB in the box 8-)

Thanks for the encouragement ;)
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Paul Zager

Post by Paul Zager »

Do what Slayer's ghost suggested. I notice that the error message says "3dfxVoodo.chip". Is that really what it says? It is miss-spelled, it should be "3dfxVoodoo.chip". I wonder if you have a corrupted Kicklayout file?
The misspelling is my fault. I think I caught it and corrected it on the amigans.net post.

As noted over on Amigans, booting from my 4.1 CD results in a black screen so I can't do any editing. I've switched over from my HDMI cable to a VGA and I'm still getting a black screen. So I'm kind of stuck for now.
A1-XE G4, 2GB, 9250
X5000/20
Paul Zager

Re: failure of update 5 SOLVED

Post by Paul Zager »

Problem solved. I had to take out my USB2 card first 'cause I was trying to boot from the original 4.1 before there was USB2 support.. Still got the black screen. So I reset the UBOOT to factory defaults and finally was able to boot into 4.1.0 from the original CD. So I was finally able to edit the update 5 Kicklayout now, and I'm replying from my update 5 setup. Thanks for paying attention to my questions.

Paul
A1-XE G4, 2GB, 9250
X5000/20