My AmigaOS4.1 skins and questions

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
djnykk

My AmigaOS4.1 skins and questions

Post by djnykk »

Hi guys

I have Sam460ex Amiga and as designer want to create several good looking themes that will represent AmigaOS much better in outside world [as I was very big fan on Amiga in past].

I am releasing today my 1st [alpha] version of AmigaOS4 skins that can be downloaded from here:

https://rapidshare.com/files/3872271190 ... -alpha.zip

Skin 01 Alpha Screenshot:

http://www.djnick.rs/examples/Skin01-al ... Screen.png

Well - I've included all files needed for skinning, its editable PSD files [for others to jump in, help and give me constructive feedback] - those files has to be copied to the place where it is shown in directory name.

I've included AmiDock theme [I guess system should automatically choose my skins instead hand by hand loading images mode?]

Also I've included several good looking WinAMP skins that works and loads well on AmigAmp, just copy all skins to its directory [AmigaAmp/Skins/] and change it easily with right click on opened AmigaAmp.

What I would like to do is - asking you to betatest hand installation of this skin for you.

Also when I finish this 1st skin [which has light windows, like AmigaOS.net website], I am going to create Black Chrome style [with sharp gradient in the middle] - the style I like the most, and I think it would be the best.

I would ask for help in writing installation script that will:

- add SKINS: assign to each S:UserStartUpSequence file that will point to default AmigaOS skins including copied my skin [named djnick-Chrome directory]

- change all colours and GUI sizes I've changed here [some colors are still unlockable, and looks like I need more colours for palette... Filer looks invisible on some file listings [!?] and hard to read. I have no idea how to change this [yet], but I hope I will solve this soon.

- install my AmiTheme graphics [this is just test - if it works, I will include all graphics with its correct names and with extensions, so we all will know what is PNG and what is not]

- Install my background file and copy all other so ppl will easily change one of 6 [or 8] backgrounds I've included now.

Test it and let me know how it looks / works for you. Then I will have several questions - for example - how to create MorphOS style window theme [left is image in X [close window], then separator image, then repeated image in the middle and then right part of the windows has one separator image and finally Minimize icon and Back/Forth window icons. If I will be able to reproduce creating MorphOS - like theme then I will be able to design anything. Right now I am very limited as I have no knowledge of AmigaOS structure.

Thank you very much.

nick
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: My AmigaOS4.1 skins and questions

Post by Slayer »

I think this kind of thing will appeal to the experimental "computer" user but not the die hard Amigan; of course, there really aren't that many left are there 8-)

As for MorphOS well, that really is the pinnacle of my opening statement, also this isn't the arena for those types of queries (try googling MorphOS and Portal)

It's good to see the creativity for sure but it's not for me. Apart from the reference to google I haven't been much help, just a personal overview :D
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
djnykk

Post by djnykk »

I am not asking about MorphOS here, of course, but I am asking about - how to create this kind of style of skins. I will not copy MOS skins for aOS, I would need explanation how I can create this kind of graphics where in windows you can have defined width of graphics [top left of the window], spread graphics over all top window and end graphics [top right part], like I have to re-skin a web site.
vox

Post by vox »

djnykk wrote:I am not asking about MorphOS here, of course, but I am asking about - how to create this kind of style of skins. I will not copy MOS skins for aOS, I would need explanation how I can create this kind of graphics where in windows you can have defined width of graphics [top left of the window], spread graphics over all top window and end graphics [top right part], like I have to re-skin a web site.
Dear DJ Nick,

Can you show as the visual example? Ambient (MOS GUI) is polished and in some aspects more advanced then our Workbench 4.
It also uses newer MUI 4 while we have 3.9

Check Pimp my Butterfly page
http://korni.ovh.org/morphos-skins/

I do believe this is better place for you
http://amitheme.amiga-ng.org/index.php? ... es_charges
------------------------------------------
Future MOS user pon SAM460ex
https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja
https://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja
http://socdevelopment.wordpress.com/
djnykk

Post by djnykk »

Hi Vox.

This MOS page is excellent showcase what I want to do.

Or you are right - I will have to draw the theme fully from scratch [in Photoshop] and "simulate" how windows should look.

Then I will come here [or on other Amiga web sites] and ask for help - how to implement that skin into AmigaOS.

I am really mad to see MorphOS looking better than AmigaOS, as I am still very big fan of good old Amiga.

So guys, please help me to create fully reskinnable AmigaOS. My idea is to create a skin [with icons, sound effects [superB stereo boot theme] and MUI skins] that will look better than Win7.

Win7 is really everything I wanted AmigaOS to have so I am not using Dopus-like [TotalCommander] programs anymore. Everything I do is - click on Windows+E [to simulate from AmigaOS 3.9's [DopusMagellan] doubleclick anywhere on the Workbench] and open a lister [Explorer], move it far to the left corner, then open another - move it far to the right corner and - I will have the same feeling like I am at home. Yes, I am missing CopyAs and PasteAs [including amazing Renaming possiblilities from DopusMagellan], but really Win7 is very useful.

AmigaOS has amazing potential, but - Filer is totally incompatible [and still very very buggy] with AmigaOS windows [no copy/paste between those two, like two different worlds], and working with files is very very limited and hard. I even don`t know how to "add to archive" selected files [there is nothing in RightClick after selecting files or directories I wish to pack to .lha, .zip or something else] and send it via email... So I am forced to use USB flash. drag and drop files from Amiga and pack & send from PC...

I also wish to join developing team and help in fixing those basic things.

As old Amiga user, I find latest AmigaOS4.1 update4 still far from complete and not very user friendly. Back in time, working with DopusMagellan instead Workbench - allowed me to drag&drop everything and everywhere.

I don`t want DopusMagellan for new AmigaOS4.1. I just wish AmigaOS4.1 [or 4.2] to be really user friendly and to have all standardized possibilities to work with files as Win7 which is [my opinion] even better than MacOS today...

Lets move, people, it is 2012...

I use Sam460ex [level of Amiga X500?] with gfx card.

All best
n.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

djnykk wrote:I am really mad to see MorphOS looking better than AmigaOS
Win7 is really everything I wanted AmigaOS to have
Oh well ... de gustibus non est disputandum.

Best regards,

Niels
djnykk

Post by djnykk »

You don`t understand what I mean with this sentence - Something is standardized [dozens of people learns how to use it and even I was forced to learn Win7 in term of using it like AmigaOS [Win+E = Explorer, like Doubleclick on DOpusMagellan that opens a lister OR Filer [my favorite] on AmigaOS that does THE SAME what is wanted].

My wish is to have FIler replaced with default windows in AmigaOS. I wanted lots of times to enter somewhere in a window - path [I copied from Filer, for example - I am in Sys/Music/Sound/Album1] and I want to open another window with the same path, and for some reason - there is not space / place where I can enter its path [as in TotalCommander or in Dopus / DopusMagellan lister].

I do not like Windows, I miss a lots of DragAndDrop features I used to have long time ago on OS3.9 with Magellan [copy as, paste as, renaming as editing text file list]...

I hope somebody from Hyp will help me build a theme I will draw in Photoshop :]
BandiT
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by BandiT »

Hi Djnykk, have you had a look at the tutorial on this page;

http://amitheme.amiga-ng.org/index_en.p ... nu=tuto_en

It may help, has a photoshop template with layers etc and explains what goes where.

regards
Anthony
AmigaOne X1000, Boing Ball Fractal R3 white case, XFX Radeon 4890 XXX edition 1 GB, OCZ Vertex 3 SSD & 1TB Sata HD, AmigaOne Keyboard and
Boing Ball mouse (white), 4 GB Kingston HyperX RAM, Official DVD burner. CoolerMaster GX750, Realtek 8169 (Netgear GA311), BenQ 24" Widescreen.
cha05e90

Post by cha05e90 »

djnykk wrote:I am really mad to see MorphOS looking better than AmigaOS...
And this is of course still a heavy matter of taste. I never understood why people claim MorphOS "looks better" or "more modern". Every time I boot up my Pegasos II with MorphOS 3.1 I'm hitted by that crude and ugly standard look, no consistent theme and icon style, a lot of wannabe (inconsistent) MacOS reminiscents. Especially the standard Ferox theme, oh dear. Hard edges, senseless colour fading etc. But, of course, I'm to lazy to search for a better looking theme... :-)

In contrast to that I really like the OS4 standard theme, it's clear and clean and shows it's roots in a very simple and consistent way. Uh!

As I said: All a matter of taste.
X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
djnykk

Post by djnykk »

Thank you BandiT a lot for this link! It is very very well written tutorial! :)