the new OS filesystems...and partition resizing...

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: the new OS filesystems...and partition resizing...

Post by Slayer »

So the moral of this story is ask the right questions before setting off to recreate the wheel ;)

but seriously 8-)

In saying that however, I'm thinking, if you had say a 400GB partition that was full and you wanted to save all that data down to the last byte and you wanted to offset that partition by say 100GB, no matter how much fancy header/bitmap modification it's not going to assist you in actually moving those now misplaced 100GB blocks of data. But of course you know these things. It's as if your editing software will have to be part optimising software (which moves header files and blocks around with speed and access as its goal) where the blocks are moved from outside the newly formed square to the inside of such.

It's like resuming a prematurely terminated download from another completely different source file. It'll stop downloading and growing when the new files total size is reached but the file isn't going to be the same file. ;)

anyway, I'm babbling, here's a random thought, we need an AmigaOS4.x native version of giggledisk! :D
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
Belxjander

Post by Belxjander »

Slayer wrote:So the moral of this story is ask the right questions before setting off to recreate the wheel ;)

but seriously 8-)

In saying that however, I'm thinking, if you had say a 400GB partition that was full and you wanted to save all that data down to the last byte and you wanted to offset that partition by say 100GB, no matter how much fancy header/bitmap modification it's not going to assist you in actually moving those now misplaced 100GB blocks of data. But of course you know these things. It's as if your editing software will have to be part optimising software (which moves header files and blocks around with speed and access as its goal) where the blocks are moved from outside the newly formed square to the inside of such.

It's like resuming a prematurely terminated download from another completely different source file. It'll stop downloading and growing when the new files total size is reached but the file isn't going to be the same file. ;)

anyway, I'm babbling, here's a random thought, we need an AmigaOS4.x native version of giggledisk! :D
Well that is why I bought up this whole topic of conversation *before* applying any major changes like PC-MBR to RDB conversion without verifying that the RDB information is in fact required (this is till true)

becuase if the new uboot firmware supported multiple partition schema and PC-MBR was one of the schema then this whole conversation becomes moot
cha05e90

Post by cha05e90 »

ZeroG wrote:@cha05e90

There is a RDB on OS4.x-prepped HDs and the partition table is stored there.
Yep, I know. I should have been clearer in my description: the RDB isn't used as known from the 68k world, read: reading the active filesystem from RDB.
X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Slayer »

Belxjander wrote: Well that is why I bought up this whole topic of conversation *before* applying any major changes like PC-MBR to RDB conversion without verifying that the RDB information is in fact required (this is till true)

becuase if the new uboot firmware supported multiple partition schema and PC-MBR was one of the schema then this whole conversation becomes moot
All I was meaning was I couldn't see the tree because of the forest and I don't think I was the only one.

But it is ok :D
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x