What this feature for??

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
nubechecorre

What this feature for??

Post by nubechecorre »

Playing with AOS 4.1Classic I discovered this feature. If you click on the status button of a disk, a requester appears asking if you want to lock the partition.. What does, exactly, this feature do?.. I attached a grab:

http://www.os4games.it/immagini/wb_lock.png
http://www.os4games.it

Sam440ep mini-itx

Classic System:

Amiga 1200
PowerPC 603+ 68040 25 Mhz + 256MbRam
Radeon 9250 128Mb VRam
Voodoo 3 3000 16Mb VRam
HD-Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 Gb PATA
DVD-RW LG Dual Layer
SoundBlaster PCI 128
4xEIDE Buffered Interface Elbox
Cocolino Interface Elbox
AmigaOne White Mouse
OldFart

Re: What this feature for??

Post by OldFart »

Locking a volume is making it read-only. This feature is most easily recognised when looking at a floppy disk. There you find a little device in de perimeter of the disk often bearing a legend like: "wite protected" and " write enabled".

When you lock a volume (see command C:Lock) you make a partition read-only. Windows does not have this feature for sure and that's why it is little known. Does it have a need? Is it usefull? Well, all I can say is that I have my bootpartition(s) locked, always. This keeps the partitions clean and keeps me from the hazzards of accidentally deleting or modifying any file or directory. So, to the questions: "Does it have a need?" and "Is it usefull?", I can say: "Yes!". And I sincerely hope it is supported in every upcoming filesystem and would also go so far as to endorse it to other OS es.

OldFart
X5000, appears to be sick. Dismantled jan 1, 2024.
Dead MicroA1
A1200 in ElBox, c/w Blizzard '040 @ 50MHz + SCSI module, ZIV-board c/w (o.a.) cv64/3d + flickerdoubler + FastATA-ZIV + Lots of SCSI gear, sitting idle.
RaspBerry Pi 2B, 3B, 4B/4Gb, 4B/8Gb
OrangePi 5+ 8Gb
ACER Windows 10
xenic

Post by xenic »

OldFart wrote: When you lock a volume (see command C:Lock) you make a partition read-only. Windows does not have this feature for sure and that's why it is little known. Does it have a need? Is it usefull? Well, all I can say is that I have my bootpartition(s) locked, always. This keeps the partitions clean and keeps me from the hazzards of accidentally deleting or modifying any file or directory. So, to the questions: "Does it have a need?" and "Is it usefull?", I can say: "Yes!". And I sincerely hope it is supported in every upcoming filesystem and would also go so far as to endorse it to other OS es.
OldFart
I keep my main boot partition and Work partition locked too. If fact I have lock/unlock menu items in my WorkBench menus and my Dopus4 menus (runs on it's own screen). Nothing writes to my system or work partitions without my permission. I have an unlocked boot partition that I boot with before running an installer program. After the installation, I use comparedirs (from OS4Depot) to check if the installer overwrote or added anything it shouldn't have. If the installation didn't do any damage, I reboot with my main partition and move the installed files to main boot partition. That may seem paranoid but there are plenty of installers on Aminet that can make undesirable changes to your system. That's one reason why some people need to reinstall OS4.1 and 4 updates to get their systems working again. I've never had to do that.
AmigaOne X1000 with 2GB memory - OS4.1 FE
nubechecorre

Post by nubechecorre »

That's a very usefull option! thanks for the infos guys :-)
http://www.os4games.it

Sam440ep mini-itx

Classic System:

Amiga 1200
PowerPC 603+ 68040 25 Mhz + 256MbRam
Radeon 9250 128Mb VRam
Voodoo 3 3000 16Mb VRam
HD-Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 Gb PATA
DVD-RW LG Dual Layer
SoundBlaster PCI 128
4xEIDE Buffered Interface Elbox
Cocolino Interface Elbox
AmigaOne White Mouse
chris

Post by chris »

nubechecorre wrote:Playing with AOS 4.1Classic I discovered this feature. If you click on the status button of a disk, a requester appears asking if you want to lock the partition.. What does, exactly, this feature do?.. I attached a grab:

http://www.os4games.it/immagini/wb_lock.png
Ooooh, how long has that been there? I'd not noticed it before (of course I knew about the c:lock command but this is more convenient).
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

chris wrote:Ooooh, how long has that been there? I'd not noticed it before (of course I knew about the c:lock command but this is more convenient).
Since update 4.

Best regards,

Niels
Stephen Robinson
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Stephen Robinson »

OldFart wrote:
When you lock a volume (see command C:Lock) you make a partition read-only. Windows does not have this feature for sure and that's why it is little known.
Suppose you could use the NTFS file permissions to make the c:\windows folder read only, I dunno how well that would work in practice like :roll:
Near at hand is your forgetting all; near, too, all forgetting you.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Stephen Robinson wrote:Suppose you could use the NTFS file permissions to make the c:\windows folder read only, I dunno how well that would work in practice like :roll:
I guess it would be a great boost of security - by keeping Windows from running!

Best regards,

Niels
vox

Post by vox »

Stephen Robinson wrote:
OldFart wrote:
When you lock a volume (see command C:Lock) you make a partition read-only. Windows does not have this feature for sure and that's why it is little known.
Suppose you could use the NTFS file permissions to make the c:\windows folder read only, I dunno how well that would work in practice like :roll:
Simple answer: NO because WIn writtes a lot during boot. System could lock or become unstable and it is hard tio get attribute change at all to whole Win folder, especially System 32 part, SAme goes for turning off s wapping even with 50% RAM free Windows would become unstable. Avoid such "problems" and enjoy Amiga,

Do rememeber to assing T: to DH1: or whenever outside the locked partition.
------------------------------------------
Future MOS user pon SAM460ex
https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja
https://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja
http://socdevelopment.wordpress.com/
Deniil

Post by Deniil »

Do rememeber to assing T: to DH1: or whenever outside the locked partition.
T: should be assigned to RAM:T/ which it is by default. Only buggy programs would require T: to be on disk.