Grim Reaper Exception codes

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
amiganut

Grim Reaper Exception codes

Post by amiganut »

Can anyone direct me to a page that interprets these codes? OS3.1 has a list of what they mean to give you a general area to start troubleshooting. I seem to be getting these more on my X5040 than I do my SAM460LE.

Can anyone interpret the following:

What is the difference between a ISI(Instructional Storage Interrupt) and a DSI(Data Storage Interrupt)? Is this pointing to my filesystem corrupt or my SSD failing? I have PNY 500GB SSDs in both my X5040 and SAM460LE. It seems that Amedia is putting in Crucial BX500 240GBs.

X5040:
2GB RAM Kingston
PNY 500GB SSD SFS/00
Radeon RX560
PCI Sound Blaster Live
onboard SATA

SAM460LE
2GB RAM OWC6400DDR2S
Radeon Sapphire R9 280X 3GB
PNY 500GB SSD SFS/00
Sound plaster Audigy FX SB1570 PCIe 5.1
SII3114 SATA

Guru Meditation : 80000003
Task 0x562b37a0 ("timberwolf-bin")
generated an error of type ISI(Instruction Storage Interrupt)
on address 0x7b08b044
Redzone was not damaged
Stackpointer is inside bounds

Task 0x5ce6de00 ("sysmon")
generated an error of type DSI(Data Storage Interrupt)
on address 0x01a991cc4
Redzone was not damaged

Task 0x5b87b610("celestia")
generated an error of type DSI(Data Storage Interrupt)
on address 0x01db43c8
Redzone was not damaged
polluks

Re: Grim Reaper Exception codes

Post by polluks »

DSI This means that there was an addressing exception on a data fetch.
ISI This means that there was an addressing exception on an instruction fetch.
Practically it makes no difference. If your filesystem is damaged, then you should get a requester.
Hypex
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Grim Reaper Exception codes

Post by Hypex »

If you see it in the window it does actually mention a guru code. So it converts it to the guru equivalent. The only list I know of would be in some include file.

There would usually be a DAR listed. (Data Address Register.) But it depends on CPU. For a DSI that contain the address that tripped it off. That can show a lot if the memory range is known the kernel uses. Even for ISI it can as well as code sits in executable memory. Some things are obvious, like a 0 or NULL address tripping it off.

I see Timberwolf in there. Does that usually run fine? The last archive on OS4 Depot was left in a broken state. For usually stable software to start crashing is unusual. And can point to a hardware issue. Such as bad memory. Or even SATA cables if problems develop loading data. Sometimes RAM sticks need pulling out and put back in as the contacts can go stale from micro-grime build up.