Deselect drives in Find

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
daveyw

Deselect drives in Find

Post by daveyw »

Hi all,

When I access Find from the context menu e.g right clicking in a Directory, it automatically populates that path and ticks it on the left hand panel. The problem is that it also ticks all of my drives as well, which pretty much defeats the purpose. Is there any way of having them automatically untick?

I see in the wiki https://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/AmigaOS_M ... Tools#Find that there are some tool types to do with checking and unchecking but they are "not used" ???

Thanks.
Raziel

Re: Deselect drives in Find

Post by Raziel »

@daveyw

I never understood why i have to set tooltypes and not simply have the program save my settings on exit, but here you are.
Simply add all volumes you need to have deselcted (unfortunately, once you rename one of your volumes, it's back to being selected)
UNCHECK_DEVICE0=AmigaOS
UNCHECK_DEVICE1=Development
UNCHECK_DEVICE2=Tools
UNCHECK_DEVICE3=Games
UNCHECK_DEVICE4=SynOlogy
UNCHECK_DEVICE5=SynCloud
UNCHECK_DEVICE6=SynShare
UNCHECK_DEVICE7=WinShare
UNCHECK_DEVICE8=Backup
UNCHECK_DEVICE9=SynStore
UNCHECK_DEVICE10=RAM Disk
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

This mechanism (UNCHECK_DEVICE...), however, is more useful when you want to always exclude certain volumes from being searched (e.g. backup volumes).

IMHO, when you start Find from the context of a specific path, and it adds that path checked at the top, it should automatically mean that you don't want to search anything else, so everything else should be unchecked.

I thought I remembered this being discussed some time in the past, but I haven't been able to find a bug/enhancement report about it. Will investigate some more ASAP.

BTW, re your comment about renamed volumes: Isn't it possible to use device names instead in those tooltypes? After all, they are called UNCHECK_DEVICE..., not UNCHECK_VOLUME...

(I don't use Find much myself ...)

Best regards,

Niels
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

@nbache
BTW, re your comment about renamed volumes: Isn't it possible to use device names instead in those tooltypes? After all, they are called UNCHECK_DEVICE..., not UNCHECK_VOLUME...
You might think that, yes, i did too, but heck no :-)

As soon as you add the DEVICE instead of the VOLUME name, the volume is back to being checked by default.

No matter if that is a bug or a poor design choice, on amiga never rely on what a name might imply ;-)
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

Right, I've now submitted two enhancement requests in Bugzilla.

One to have all the other search targets unchecked when invoking Find from the WB/Context menu from within a directory window, and one to make the tooltypes UNCHECK_DEVICE... work with device names (in addition to volume names), like the name suggests.

As always, don't hold your breath, but at least they are recorded now.

Best regards,

Niels
daveyw

Post by daveyw »

Thanks, I will have a play today and try it out. But manually excluding devices in the tool types would only work with fixed devices, such as hard drives. I guess any removable media that I have mounted and not had the foresight to add will be selected. And as its tool type settings, if I want to retain a global search function e.g from the main menu, then I will need a second instance of Find with the tool types set that gets called from the context menu.
daveyw

Post by daveyw »

nbache wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 3:27 pm One to have all the other search targets unchecked when invoking Find from the WB/Context menu from within a directory window,
How would it know it is being invoked from the Context Menu? Would it be a command line option to unselect the other targets?

Personally I would want Find, when run from the WB menu to have everything selected (e.g, global search) but when run from the context menu to only select the target directory (targeted search).

Currently the default configuration for the context menu is to execute an Arexx command that invokes the WB menu item.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

daveyw wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:37 pmHow would it know it is being invoked from the Context Menu? Would it be a command line option to unselect the other targets?
ContextMenus just invokes the Workbench menu item (as defined in Prefs/Env-Archive/contextmenus.cfg). That one already knows which window it is invoked in (don't ask me how it is implemented, I have no source code access), so when you use it either from WB or from ContextMenus, it already adds the path at the top of the window. The enhancement request is just for setting all other entries in the list to unchecked in that case.
Personally I would want Find, when run from the WB menu to have everything selected (e.g, global search) but when run from the context menu to only select the target directory (targeted search).
Well, since the Find menu item is located in the Window menu, it doesn't seem logical to want it to be global. If you want a global Find in your menu, you can simply add an item to the Tools menu which runs the Find program directly from the System drawer.
Currently the default configuration for the context menu is to execute an Arexx command that invokes the WB menu item.
Yes, and that works as I describe above, adding the path (checked) at the top.

Best regards,

Niels