TP-LInk TG3468 randomizing mac address?

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Roland

TP-LInk TG3468 randomizing mac address?

Post by Roland »

I have been testing a TP-Link TG-3468 (V 3.0) ethernet adapter in my X5000, and have noticed the mac (hardware) address of this card varies. Even a softboot of OS4.1 may change it.

Have other users ot TG-3468 noticed the same? According to the technical support of TP-Link, this kind of 'mac randomizing' is a feature of some operating systems, not the card itself. Does also AmigaOS have such feature, and can it be switched off...? Or is there some other explanation for this phenomenon?

I have not noticed the same with older RTL cards.
Last edited by Roland on Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Roland -
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Re: TP-LInk TG3468 randomizing mac address?

Post by tonyw »

No, AmigaOS does not randomise MAC addresses. It reads the MAC address from U-Boot on boot, and it can't be changed.
cheers
tony
Roland

Re: TP-LInk TG3468 randomizing mac address?

Post by Roland »

tonyw wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:01 pm No, AmigaOS does not randomise MAC addresses. It reads the MAC address from U-Boot on boot, and it can't be changed.
Are you speaking now about only the onboard ethernet or also PCI cards...?

Anyway, I already found a very simple solution to the issue... The address CAN be changed - with Roadshow! Just needed to add a line to Devs:Netinterfaces/RTL3468 file and define the mac address manually:

HARDWAREADDRESS=**:**.**.**.**.**

The card itself, AmigaOS and also my modem/router seem to accept that manual definition. But to be on the safe side, I chose one of the addresses the card had used itself earlier.
- Roland -