A suggestion thread perhaps?

This is the place to ask if you have any issues with our forum system. These include questions about your account, PM's, login trouble, etc.
djrikki

A suggestion thread perhaps?

Post by djrikki »

Anyways I'd like to hear what the developers thoughts are on this - a collective place where users can submit OS and Workbench suggestions.
Any suggestions should be filtered through the beta testing team just as a bug would be. There is a category for feature requests and enhancements in Hyperion's bug database and that is where such information should be stored.

Also, it is always best to keep suggestions and bug reports independent of each other. Combining items into one subject or thread is easy on the writer and very difficult on the reader. If you want your suggestion or bug report to be read then keep it short and to the point and cover only a single subject. The easier you make it on the reader the more likely it will be understood and addressed.
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: A suggestion thread perhaps?

Post by nbache »

djrikki wrote:For me one of the top priorities for the Workbench is a good solid tool for switching between Windows and Screens
I use the DepthToFront commodity for that - works fine.

Best regards,

Niels
djrikki

Post by djrikki »

DepthToFront: Hmmm doesn't appear to do anything whatsoever. Besides alt-tabbing allows one to cycle through available applications that maybe completely hidden behind the front app - so you don't even have to worry about window size/arrangement. This is a great feature that became standard in the 90s and is adopted by all other OSes because it makes so much sense to have such a feature.

In addition possibly AmigaOS could take the Mac approach as well, internal-application window cycling aka Alt+`. Of course *looks at Amiga-keyboard* a key combo that is a little closer together.
Slayer
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by Slayer »

The problem I find with ideals like this is it doesn't actually come from the top it's ALWAYS the end user that decides this kind of thing is a good idea

I for one am content to place faith in the collective as it is, I'm lucky enough this time around to be part of the process and that's great... I really don't understand why people insist on believing there roadmap or there perception is superior or more insightful than the parent body.

And my observation is there is a few of you chaps that are always so acutely critical of features in particular and specifically features that you as an individual would find invaluable if you get my drift

As I've said in the past I am fairly sure if the leadership ran out of ideas they would actually ask the end user officially for there ideas for new or tweaked features

I believe the reason to give it an "official" label is to somehow add weight to the collective data contained within and I personally don't like this approach to adding features, one mans overall vision is usually better than majority mayhem

In short, I understand why you would suggest this djrikki (it fits with your general persona on the web) and I'm sure you won't be the only one that endorses this approach (I could probably name 5 other individuals that will chime in), I of course am not unpredictable myself.
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x
nbache
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by nbache »

djrikki wrote:DepthToFront: Hmmm doesn't appear to do anything whatsoever.
Strange.

How are you running it, and what are its tooltypes? As I said, it works fine here.

Best regards,

Niels
tonyw
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tonyw »

Yes, it's been working for years now. If it didn't someone would have complained.
cheers
tony
djrikki

Post by djrikki »

We are going off-topic here really we are, what I meant was it doesn't appear to be doing anything. I mean like whats it meant to do exactly? Is it something to do with Screens? I run everything on the WB Screen where possible.
Raziel

Post by Raziel »

djrikki wrote:I mean like whats it meant to do exactly? Is it something to do with Screens? I run everything on the WB Screen where possible.
Me too, i don't like extra screens except ScummVM, Residual and Games (they play much faster on it's own screen than in windows -> 1600x1200 resolution here, though - brings the Radeon9200 to it's knees :-) )

Regarding DepthToFront:
When started and *running* - check with Exchange - it shows you a list of open windows and screens (even hidden ones - and even ones with no name if you choose to display them) and lets you scroll and choose when you click with the right mouse button over the depth gadget on ANY window (even Workbench's top bar).

Just read the docs:
DepthToFront allows you to bring a window or screen to the front by
clicking the right mouse button over a window's or screen's depth gadget.
I think this is exactly what you are looking for, minus the ALT-TAB behaviour, but maybe that can be added in a future version?
People are dying.
Entire ecosystems are collapsing.
We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
And all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.
How dare you!
– Greta Thunberg