MUI - Gradients & other bugs - Update3

A forum for general AmigaOS 4.x support questions that are not platform-specific
Lio

Re: MUI - Gradients & other bugs - Update3

Post by Lio »

Hi tboeckel,
I hope I did not upset you too much with bugs more related to OWB than MUI and I apology for this.
so there are then only 2 bugs :

Lio wrote:
* in bookmarks again, unfolding a drawer is fast but refolding is very slow

Not very specific. Does this happen with other applications as well?
yes this happens in MUIOWB and in IBrowse too.

Lio wrote:
* in MUI prefs/screens you can not delete a screen ! there is a requester but only one button to confirm/cancel and pressing it always seems like it is set to cancel !

No problem here, neither with the german catalog, nor with the builtin english strings. I always get the usual Yes/No buttons and selecting Yes will of course delete the selected screen. Are you using a different language?
yes indeed it is the french catalog.
I switched my locale to English and I could see the yes and no buttons so it is bug in the french catalog !

thanks
Lio
tboeckel
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tboeckel »

Lio wrote:yes indeed it is the french catalog.
I switched my locale to English and I could see the yes and no buttons so it is bug in the french catalog !
Indeed. The was a backslash instead of a pipe character. Just fixed this.
hotrod

Post by hotrod »

I hope that it's ok if I borrow this thread since it's related to the new MUI in update 3. What I've noticed that is new with this version and kind of anoying is that if I change the texture in the "Window" section under "Background/backdrop" (got the Swedish catalog, sorry) to Workbench:Prefs/Presets/Zami/Bitmaps/Textures/Window it slows down drawing of MUI GUIs a lot slower than the default texture. This behavious is new, it hasn't made a difference with previous versions.

Can/will anything be done about this and why does it happen?

I'm using a resolution of 1920x1080 32-bit and the windows are kind of big. This is notable with YAM and Wookiechat that I just tried. When using iconify and opening them again there is a pause while with the default texture there isn't.
Lemen

Post by Lemen »

hotrod wrote:What I've noticed that is new with this version and kind of anoying is that if I change the texture in the "Window" section under "Background/backdrop" (got the Swedish catalog, sorry) to Workbench:Prefs/Presets/Zami/Bitmaps/Textures/Window it slows down drawing of MUI GUIs a lot slower than the default texture. This behavious is new, it hasn't made a difference with previous versions.
Yes I've noticed this slow down with update 3 aswell.
I was using the very same pattern for list backgrounds - it is a VERY small pattern, only 20x20 pixels, so it has to be tiled an awful lot.
What I did in order to use that pattern was multiply it by ten, so it is now 200x200 pixels and this speeds things up again. But even then, the performance is still noticeably slower than it was with u2.

But as you say; why this huge slow down with u3 when it was fine previous to u3?
Tomcat

Post by Tomcat »

Lio wrote: Lio wrote:
* in bookmarks again, unfolding a drawer is fast but refolding is very slow

Not very specific. Does this happen with other applications as well?
I can confirm this. Here the same with IBrowse.
Nothing other checked ATM
hotrod

Post by hotrod »

Lemen wrote:
hotrod wrote:What I've noticed that is new with this version and kind of anoying is that if I change the texture in the "Window" section under "Background/backdrop" (got the Swedish catalog, sorry) to Workbench:Prefs/Presets/Zami/Bitmaps/Textures/Window it slows down drawing of MUI GUIs a lot slower than the default texture. This behavious is new, it hasn't made a difference with previous versions.
Yes I've noticed this slow down with update 3 aswell.
I was using the very same pattern for list backgrounds - it is a VERY small pattern, only 20x20 pixels, so it has to be tiled an awful lot.
What I did in order to use that pattern was multiply it by ten, so it is now 200x200 pixels and this speeds things up again. But even then, the performance is still noticeably slower than it was with u2.

But as you say; why this huge slow down with u3 when it was fine previous to u3?
Thanks for the tip. Is there an easy way to make this texture larger that you could share? It would be nice to use that texture with the Zami theme.
Lemen

Post by Lemen »

hotrod wrote:Is there an easy way to make this texture larger that you could share? It would be nice to use that texture with the Zami theme.
Check your PM.
tboeckel
AmigaOS Core Developer
AmigaOS Core Developer

Post by tboeckel »

Lio wrote: * in bookmarks again, unfolding a drawer is fast but refolding is very slow
[...]
Fixed in the next release. This is no bug in Listtree.mcc, but in List.mui. List.mui did redraw itself upon every single removal even if it was told to be quiet (MUIA_List_Quiet=TRUE).