Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
kilaueabart

Re: Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

Post by kilaueabart »

xeno74 wrote:Please try

Code: Select all

/sbin/dhclient enP4096p4s4
And after that please open a website.
Thank you! That worked!
I am astonished, because I thought you had suggested that before and it didn't work. Must have been something else.

Now is there a way to get Fienix to do that /sbin/dhclient thing when it's launched, so I don't have to go through the process every time I want to use Fienix?
Maybe avoid the 1 minute 10 second run of "Start job for Raise network interfaces" when I boot, as a bonus?
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

kilaueabart wrote: Thank you! That worked!
I am astonished, because I thought you had suggested that before and it didn't work. Must have been something else.

Now is there a way to get Fienix to do that /sbin/dhclient thing when it's launched, so I don't have to go through the process every time I want to use Fienix?
Maybe avoid the 1 minute 10 second run of "Start job for Raise network interfaces" when I boot, as a bonus?
Hi Kilaueabart,

To set up the network device with the dhclient is only a temporary solution. You have to set up the network device again after a restart. Please add the following lines to the file /etc/network/interfaces:

iface enP4096p4s4 inet dhcp

auto enP4096p4s4

After that the network connections automatically work after booting the X5000.

Cheers,
Christian
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

xeno74 wrote:
kilaueabart wrote: Thank you! That worked!
To set up the network device with the dhclient is only a temporary solution. You have to set up the network device again after a restart. Please add the following lines to the file /etc/network/interfaces:

iface enP4096p4s4 inet dhcp

auto enP4096p4s4
After that the network connections automatically work after booting the X5000.

Cheers,
Christian
That solved the main problem, but I am still subjected to a 1 minute 11 second wait for "Start job for Raise network interfaces" every time I run Fienix. Granted that probably only amounts to 15 or 20 minutes a week, but it is an annoying new feature that I would like to cancel.
Amiguy

Post by Amiguy »

Hello Fienix friends

The sound does not work in my Fienix environment. When I check my packages, I see that alsa-base is not installed and when I try to install it, I get the following message:
Package alsa-base has no available version, but exists in the database.
This typically means that the package was mentionned in a dependency and never uploaded, has been obsoleted or is not available with the contents of sources.list.
Can you do something to solve this problem?

Regards
Amiga 1200 2Mb Chip - PiStorm32 lite - CF 128Gb - Indivision MK3 - GOEX Drive - WB 3.2.2.1
AmigaOne X5000 2Ghz / 8Gb Ram - SSD 2x4Tb - Radeon RX 580 4Gb - Sound Blaster Audigy FX 5.1 SBX - AmigaOS4.1 FE
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Please install pavucontrol (PulseAudio Volume Control) with the following command:

sudo apt-get install pavucontrol
After that, you have to start pavucontrol and select your output sound device.

Good luck!

Amiguy

Post by Amiguy »

Thank you Xeno74 for your answer.

It does not work :( Here is the message that is sent to me:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package pavucontrol is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only available from another source.

E: Package 'pavucontrol' has no installation candidate
What's going on ?
Amiga 1200 2Mb Chip - PiStorm32 lite - CF 128Gb - Indivision MK3 - GOEX Drive - WB 3.2.2.1
AmigaOne X5000 2Ghz / 8Gb Ram - SSD 2x4Tb - Radeon RX 580 4Gb - Sound Blaster Audigy FX 5.1 SBX - AmigaOS4.1 FE
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Did the sound work before? Which sound card is installed?

Amiguy

Post by Amiguy »

I did not have Linux on my X5000, but the sound works of course on the Amiga with the same sound card.

When I check the data of the sound card, the only indication that is given to me via alsamixer is the name of the card: VirMIDI.
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

Make sure you have libao4 installed. I do not have a X5000 but that is what was needed to get sound working on my rather clunky X1000.

After loading libao4 then go to Control Center/Sound and try setting it up. The speaker test did not work for me but I can play AVI files and MIDI tunes with VLC.
A-Eon A1X1000 ATI HD6850, Creative SB1570 PCIe, RTL8139 net PCI.
Amiguy

Post by Amiguy »

Hi Mechanic,

Indeed, libao4 was not installed. But after installation, the result was not more conclusive. I had the sound, but not the video.

So I checked more precisely the configuration of my video card in the Control Center. My card has the following wording:
CMI8738 / C3DX PCI Analog Stereo Audio Device

Then I tried to run VLC. It was necessary that I modify the preferences in 'Tools / Preferences / Video', part Output which was positioned on 'XVideo output (XCB)'. I tried the output 'X11 video output (XCB)' and it works wonders, both audio and video.

Thanks Xeno74 and Mechanic for your suggestions. They allowed me to move forward.