Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
caseycullen

Re: Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

Post by caseycullen »

Roland wrote:I have noticed that unfortunately also Fienix suffers from the '"Timetravelling 'enter''" problem... (There appears an extra 'enter' at the beginning of the very first text string input from keyboard, and the very first 'enter' input by the user itself dissappears, as if it would have 'timetraveled' to the beginning of the string!).

Is there any fix for that?

For comparison, AmigaOS 4.1 and Ubuntu 16 do NOT have this problem with very same hardware (X5000 and Ducky One), but e.g. Debian and MorpOS 3.11 have it.
I'm sorry, I have no idea what you're referencing. Do you mean when you log in, or is it in a specific app? Is anyone else experiencing this issue?
-Casey
Roland

Post by Roland »

caseycullen wrote: I'm sorry, I have no idea what you're referencing. Do you mean when you log in, or is it in a specific app? Is anyone else experiencing this issue?
The problem manifests itself when the keyboard is used first time, independently of app. If logging is done manually, then the first attempt to log in always fails because that extra 'enter' after touching any key causes an empty password sent via login requester.

If autologging is in use, then the problem is seen only after booting, when you try to enter text in any requester or e.g. a command in Terminal.
- Roland -
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Roland wrote: The problem manifests itself when the keyboard is used first time, independently of app. If logging is done manually, then the first attempt to log in always fails because that extra 'enter' after touching any key causes an empty password sent via login requester.

If autologging is in use, then the problem is seen only after booting, when you try to enter text in any requester or e.g. a command in Terminal.
Odd! I've never experienced this issue. Has anyone else?
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

caseycullen wrote:
xeno74 wrote:
caseycullen wrote:FYI: The Fienix repositories are down. My router died so it will be down until I can get a new one.
-Casey
Thanks for the info!
We're back up! :)
-Casey
Great! :-) I was able to install AbiWord from your repository today! :-)
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

xeno74 wrote:Hi Casey,

Thanks a lot for the updates. I was able to install them today. I haven't found any issues yet except the distribution name. It shows "Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid".

Cheers,
Christian
Christian,

The rebranding issues have been fixed in fienix-customization-layer_2.2.1. The new version also modifies the disk mounting policies so you won't be asked for a password each time you mount a drive.

NOTE: fienix-customization-layer_2.2.1 will reset your /etc/sources.list to the Fienix default repositories. If you have added additional repositories to your sources.list they will be moved to /etc/sources.list.bak. You should move the additional repositories to /etc/sources.list.d to avoid resetting your repositories each time there is an upgrade. This is the "proper" way to add additional repos, anyhow.

Please test fienix-customization-layer_2.2.1.

Thanks!
-Casey
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

caseycullen wrote: Please test fienix-customization-layer_2.2.1.

Thanks!
-Casey
I tested it today and it works! :-)

Screenshot:

Thanks a lot!
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

The first video of a series where we will take a look at some of the games available in the Fienix Software Repository, with some technical commentary:
Fienix Gaming Series

caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

There have been several upgrades to Fienix, including to MATE 1.22. However, it seems there is a problem with MATE-Terminal. It launches and immediately quits but I cannot seem to get an error. Please confirm if you have this issue. If you have a basic Debian sid installation, please let me know if you have this issue with that installation. You may install PangoTerm in the meantime.
kilaueabart

Post by kilaueabart »

That thing at the left screen border that the mouse pops open. It originally had Caja, Firefox ESR, and Rhythmbox in it. When I first installed Arctic Fox in Fienix, it somehow got included with those other three items, but when I installed New Moon I couldn't figure out how to include it, so it sits on Desktop with a non-descript icon. Firefox ESR disappeared from the group, perhaps when I recently "killed Fienix." Arctic Fox is still there, and somehow keeps up with upgrades.

I've been poking around this afternoon trying to find a way to add things to and remove things from that pop-out, with no success. If I knew what it is called, maybe I could google and find out.
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

kilaueabart wrote:That thing at the left screen border that the mouse pops open. It originally had Caja, Firefox ESR, and Rhythmbox in it. When I first installed Arctic Fox in Fienix, it somehow got included with those other three items, but when I installed New Moon I couldn't figure out how to include it, so it sits on Desktop with a non-descript icon. Firefox ESR disappeared from the group, perhaps when I recently "killed Fienix." Arctic Fox is still there, and somehow keeps up with upgrades.

I've been poking around this afternoon trying to find a way to add things to and remove things from that pop-out, with no success. If I knew what it is called, maybe I could google and find out.
I call the pop-out panel "AppRow". You can drag any app from the Menu to AppRow to create launcher for that app. You have to drop the app at the bottom of AppRow - a little rectangle should appear, drop on top of that. Dropping in the middle will just launch whatever app you were closest to. Doing this just creates a launcher, you will still keep your Menu entry for the app too.
This might give you a better idea, you can see I dragged "SpiderWeb" to the place I would drop it if I wanted to make a new launcher for it:
Hope this helps!
-Casey