Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

AmigaOne X5000 platform specific issues related to Linux only.
Roland

Re: Fienix - New PowerPC Distro

Post by Roland »

A few wishes/notes about Fienix....

- Would it be possible get some scanner program for it (SimpleScan, XSane...)? There seems to already exist some libs etc for Sane, but no graphical user interphase.

- Fienix asks the password every time you try to open some HD partition, other than it's own. Could this be changed, so that it would behave like Ubuntu?

- In "Control centre" the "Users and Groups' item has two icons. I suppose this is not on purpose...

Thanks for this excellent distro!
- Roland -
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

Roland wrote:A few wishes/notes about Fienix....

- Would it be possible get some scanner program for it (SimpleScan, XSane...)? There seems to already exist some libs etc for Sane, but no graphical user interphase.

- Fienix asks the password every time you try to open some HD partition, other than it's own. Could this be changed, so that it would behave like Ubuntu?

- In "Control centre" the "Users and Groups' item has two icons. I suppose this is not on purpose...

Thanks for this excellent distro!
I'm sure we can get a scanner program included.

Fienix should only ask for a password when trying to mount a partition that is not logged in fstab. As for why Ubuntu doesn't ask for a password, did you set up the partition in Ubuntu? If you set up the partition using Ubuntu it would be in Ubuntu's fstab. Regardless, you can add partitions to your fstab if you don't want to be prompted for a password. I suggest reading this if you need instructions for how to do so. The instructions were written for Ubuntu but they apply to Fienix as well (aside from using su instead of sudo).

I'll have to take a look at the users and groups issue; possibly both MATE and GNOME modules got installed.

-Casey
Roland

Post by Roland »

caseycullen wrote: I'm sure we can get a scanner program included.
That's great!
Fienix should only ask for a password when trying to mount a partition that is not logged in fstab. As for why Ubuntu doesn't ask for a password, did you set up the partition in Ubuntu? If you set up the partition using Ubuntu it would be in Ubuntu's fstab. Regardless, you can add partitions to your fstab if you don't want to be prompted for a password. I suggest reading this if you need instructions for how to do so. The instructions were written for Ubuntu but they apply to Fienix as well (aside from using su instead of sudo).
I checked the fstab in Ubuntu... It had only one partition entry! And it opens all partitions without asking password, even those created on a disk whch was not yet present when I installed Ubuntu. This is also true for the Mate Remix, which is distributed only as a ready made disk image. So i think there is some other mechanism in Ubuntu...

Christian, do you know what makes this unlimited access to partitions possible in Ubuntu?
- Roland -
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Roland wrote: Christian, do you know what makes this unlimited access to partitions possible in Ubuntu?
Instructions for accessing of partitions without password for Fienix

nano /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.UDisks2.policy

Please change the following policies

Code: Select all

<action id="org.freedesktop.udisks2.filesystem-mount-system">
<action id="org.freedesktop.udisks2.filesystem-fstab">
<action id="org.freedesktop.udisks2.filesystem-unmount-others">
from

<allow_active>auth_admin_keep</allow_active>
to

<allow_active>yes</allow_active>
http://www.amigalinux.org
http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Running Linux on AmigaONEs can require some tinkering.
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

Roland wrote: Christian, do you know what makes this unlimited access to partitions possible in Ubuntu?
The "sudo" group. ;-)

Just for info. Instructions for accessing of partitions without password for Ubuntu:

# usermod -a -G sudo xeno74
That's all.

Roland

Post by Roland »

xeno74 wrote:Instructions for accessing of partitions without password for Fienix
Thank you for this recipe! It worked also with Debian and Fedora :-). This issue had bothered me long...
- Roland -
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

FYI: The Fienix repositories are down. My router died so it will be down until I can get a new one.
-Casey
xeno74

Post by xeno74 »

caseycullen wrote:FYI: The Fienix repositories are down. My router died so it will be down until I can get a new one.
-Casey
Thanks for the info!

Roland

Post by Roland »

I have noticed that unfortunately also Fienix suffers from the '"Timetravelling 'enter''" problem... (There appears an extra 'enter' at the beginning of the very first text string input from keyboard, and the very first 'enter' input by the user itself dissappears, as if it would have 'timetraveled' to the beginning of the string!).

Is there any fix for that?

For comparison, AmigaOS 4.1 and Ubuntu 16 do NOT have this problem with very same hardware (X5000 and Ducky One), but e.g. Debian and MorpOS 3.11 have it.
- Roland -
caseycullen

Post by caseycullen »

xeno74 wrote:
caseycullen wrote:FYI: The Fienix repositories are down. My router died so it will be down until I can get a new one.
-Casey
Thanks for the info!
We're back up! :)
-Casey